Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
brynsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant...the constant "skinny" baby comments

Glad to read this thread!!! I had a fairly large baby at birth (8lbs 12 oz) and at 7 months he was only 14 lbs and is below the chart. He's happy, healthy, and meeting milestones. And I think he's as cute as can be!!! I'm sure your little one is a cutie, too. Keep up the good work!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD has always been very thin - 6lbs, 0oz at birth, 17 lbs at one year, 27.5lbs now at almost 3 - but she's also always been really tall, which makes her look even thinner. The comments made me SO angry.

I finally decided that if strangers were going to be nasty to us, then there was no reason for me to be polite back. When a stranger would say "She's so skinny, my grandson is younger than her and he weighs X", my response was to shake my head sympathetically and say "Yeah, it's a shame that childhood obesity is so rampant these days, I'm so glad DD is healthy."
Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the super skinny comments for dd1 and now I am getting superchunk comments for dd2. So you can never win no matter what your baby looks like if you are breastfeeding.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandFsMomma

I almost worry about my big baby, not now so much, but when he gets older.
He will probably just even out as he grows. My oldest ds was really big. 19 lb at 4 months, about 30 lbs at one year. He is still 90th percentile for both height and weight, but at his 5 yr appt his pedi was joking that we need to take him home and feed him because he looks thin now. He does not have any "baby fat" at all anymore. You used to be able to "pinch and inch" (or more!) and now there is no excess fat on him at all.

To the op - sorry you are dealing with insensitive comments! My third is my "skinniest" and it is annoying to hear the comments, especially because I myself was worried about him for a while. He is perfectly fine, just different from my first two! He's my long, lean green bean. If you see him with my dh you would see where he gets it from!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that people will complain no matter what- I had a super chunk (still do) and people kept accusing me of feeding her happy meals!! No offense to those that do, but I don't go to fast food restaurants, so that was annoying to me.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
*Kai&Mommy*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I had to get this off my chest. It's good to hear from all you other mama's & know that i'm not the only one who has had to deal with peoples stupid comments.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My oldest child was like that and still is. she's 11 now and weighs 68lbs and that's an 8lb increase recently. She's at the very very very bottom range of normal, about .5lbs up from being "underweight" for her age. For her HEIGHT, she's underweight. She was born a day after her due date weighing 6.5lbs and healthy as a horse. She just kept on being little but growing steadily and hitting milestones. I will admit that she's very skinny and very tall(as in, about 5inches shorter than me) so she has scrawny little arms and legs and you can count her ribs. But she was breastfed and has always been super healthy and she eats like a HORSE. Tonight she had 6 blueberry pancakes and some chocolate milk for dinner. So some kids are just small. To have "average" weights and heights, we need not only the big ones but also the shrimpy ones. You and I happen to have a few shrimpy ones I suppose. But they are much easier to babywear for longer than their chubbier peers so it's all good!
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadMom09 View Post
DD has always been very thin - 6lbs, 0oz at birth, 17 lbs at one year, 27.5lbs now at almost 3 - but she's also always been really tall, which makes her look even thinner. The comments made me SO angry.

I finally decided that if strangers were going to be nasty to us, then there was no reason for me to be polite back. When a stranger would say "She's so skinny, my grandson is younger than her and he weighs X", my response was to shake my head sympathetically and say "Yeah, it's a shame that childhood obesity is so rampant these days, I'm so glad DD is healthy."
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree
I make skinny babies too They have all been big at birth, but are just thin babies/toddlers. My almost 8 month old weighed 9 pounds at birth and weighs only 16 pounds right now. He is meeting milestones... Crawls all over the house and even says "hi" to everyone!
Just keep doing what you are doing. Every baby is an individual!

Shanna. Sent via android
Same here. 9lbs at birth, 16.5lbs at one year, 23lbs now at 23 months. I how little and cute my guy is
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

With a big baby at birth I kinda thought it would stay that way, especially gaining 2 pounds in the first 2 weeks. It's weird at how competative people are about it. Well she's slowed down a bit and at 4 months is 13lbs, but very very tall so she looks really skinny. Now I'm getting those "what a tiny baby" comments too! And I get to hear all about how big their baby is.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote