Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Ppaf cramps, what do you do?

I was REALLY hoping to go longer without a cycle, but low and behold... Almost 6 months to the day. Anyway, I've always gotten really bad cramping, to the point of being incapacitated, along with a very heavy flow. Well I af just showed her ugly face today, about 3 hours ago to be exact, and the cramping is already unbearable at times. I would usually take midol, Tylenol, ibuprofen, anything to dull it atleast. Well now that I'm breastfeeding I can't take enough of anything to really have any effect. Does anyone have any other suggestions? As long as it's safe while bfing I will do it. Thanks!

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ppaf cramps, what do you do?

I don't know about Midol, but you can take Tylenol or ibuprofen. Both are L1, the very safest category for lactation.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I used to get bad cramps. I LOVED thermacare patches. I would get the ones designed for the shoulder/upper back area and put em in the crampy area.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I used to get bad cramps. I LOVED thermacare patches. I would get the ones designed for the shoulder/upper back area and put em in the crampy area.
Oh great idea!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
I don't know about Midol, but you can take Tylenol or ibuprofen. Both are L1, the very safest category for lactation.
Yeah I know that, but I would probably have to take 4 or 5 500mg Tylenol for it to have any effect. I'm not sure that high of a dose is safe.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
MandeeTheGreat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

cramping/pms symptoms can be significantly helped if not resolved by taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. Your body's store of magnesium gets low when you menstruate causing all of these unwanted symptoms. It also helps the milk supply dip that happens during your period while breastfeeding. 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium is the dosage.
You can read more about this on Kellymom.com if you want. It is on this page:
http://kellymom.com/herbal/natural-t...s.html#calcium

edited to add: obviously this wont help this time but for future periods...
12/16/10 & Cesilee 12/29/11
Born Preemie @ 35 weeks, Check the Blog and shop ZULILY

MandeeTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Yeah I know that, but I would probably have to take 4 or 5 500mg Tylenol for it to have any effect. I'm not sure that high of a dose is safe.
Check with your OB, but that's all that I took after each of my c-sections (and I EBF). I took 2 extra strength tylenol every 4 hours, and 4 (200mg) ibuoprofen every 6 hours, so they overlapped. I don't know how severe your cramps were, but that combo did pretty well for me after major surgery, so I would think it would help...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
It might not be safe for you! That's a lot of Tylenol for your liver to handle! I have always found ibuprofen to be more effective for pain--and if I really have a headache I take 800 mg without batting an eye.

Anyway, a safe dose of Tylenol or ibuprofen for you will be safe for breastfeeding.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake

It might not be safe for you! That's a lot of Tylenol for your liver to handle! I have always found ibuprofen to be more effective for pain--and if I really have a headache I take 800 mg without batting an eye.

Anyway, a safe dose of Tylenol or ibuprofen for you will be safe for breastfeeding.
I know. I was actually relieved to give myself a break from it, but to be honest it's the only thing that works. I usually have to take a very high dose at first, the a smaller dose every two hours to make sure they don't come back. I've been to the dr but there's apparently nothing wrong. Really? Every month I'm pretty much useless for 4-5 days with really bad cramping- it actually hurts worse then my labor cramps did (before transition, anyway).
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandeeTheGreat
cramping/pms symptoms can be significantly helped if not resolved by taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. Your body's store of magnesium gets low when you menstruate causing all of these unwanted symptoms. It also helps the milk supply dip that happens during your period while breastfeeding. 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium is the dosage.
You can read more about this on Kellymom.com if you want. It is on this page:
http://kellymom.com/herbal/natural-t...s.html#calcium

edited to add: obviously this wont help this time but for future periods...
Thanks, I'm definitely gonna try this