Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know what to do anymore...

My DD is 4 1/2 months and I feel like I don't know what to do anymore to try and make more milk for her. She isn't losing weight and she has wet diapers, but she fusses after every feeding during the day. I only fed her for 4 minutes this morning (that's both side combined), and she cried afterwards because she's still hungry. Please, I've talked to many people about things, and I DO know my baby and I know that if she could she'd take more milk, but I don't have anything more to give her. I cry all the time about it. I contacted LLL and they replied to my first e-mail, but haven't replied since. I've had these issues pretty much since she was about 6-8 weeks. I tried contacting a local lactation person that worked at a local doctor's office, but her schedule was really busy and since my baby wasn't losing weight, we needed to go to the hospital LC (I was so stressed with learning to deal with 2, and I was really struggling with some PPD that the thought of driving down to the hospital about 30-40 mintues away, seemed too much). The hospital LC didn't even act interested when I saw her in the hospital, so I really don't want to go to her again anyways. The LLL gave me websites and info on some LCs, but I can't afford to have an LC come. I was hoping they'd actually help me, but oh well.

I just am so sick of being brushed off and feeling like it's really not that important. And honestly, I can say my DD gained weight because I only had her weighed at 2 mos and 4 mos. It's not like I keep track and weigh her each day or week. I just want to be able to make enough milk to satisfy her and no have her cry after every single feeding, except when I go longer at night. And I'm so sick of no one listening to me or thinking that it's not a big enough issue. I've tried fenugreek, which helped at first, but now it isn't and I don't know why. I take it every day 3 times a day. I drink lots of water, nursing tea, I eat oatmeal. I'm going to switch to motherlove more milk plus, to see if it helps. I feel helpless and desperate and just wish I felt like I had someone I could go to for help, that isn't completely out of my price range.

Sorry, this is mostly a vent and somewhat of a plea for help. Is there anything else I should/could be doing? I'm trying to make sure I eat plenty of good food and trying to get sleep when I can. I have been pumping too, but my nipples are getting little bright red spots on the sides, because there's no milk coming out, so they're rubbing against the sides. I'm trying anything and everything. I got the book, Making More Milk, and I'm trying to read through it as quickly as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, just wanted to add that my DD isn't not nursing because she's distracted. I keep her distracted towards me with nursing necklaces. And trust me, she just wants milk right now. She tense and agitated every time we nurse because she knows she's not going to get enough in the end.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't know what to do anymore...

The first thing I can suggest is only offering 1 side per feeding. She might not be getting enough hindmilk.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She refuses to latch to one side after she's emptied it. It only takes her 2 minutes to empty one side. I even use a timer. At night when she's gone a little longer, she can nurse on each side for about 4 minutes and she's happy as pie after those nursings.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

How often is she feeding?

At the end of the 4 min. can you get her to latch on again?

Have you tried pumping as soon as she's done nursing to see if you can trigger another let down? If so, you could try re-latching her then.

Will she comfort suck even when not hungry? This would trigger your body to kick it up in the milk-making dept.

Herbs and things can be great, but the biggest thing to focus on is increasing the demand for milk on your body. If she is crying and wanting more milk, and you don't let your body know that by having her latch on and try to nurse more or pump, your body won't realize it's not making enough.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Big hugs mama hang in there. First , 4 min is not long enough! Is she ending the feedings or are you? Could you just leave her one side till she comes off on her own then switch sides if she is still hungry? You always have milk! Your breasts are never empty! 4 moths is hard because they go through a growth spurt and want to nurse a lot and often! Also, if she isn't losing weight and having plenty of wet diapers then your supply is fine. I think you stressing about it may be the problem. Are you nursing at night time? That is super beneficial for your supply. I would say stop using a bottle or paci if you are and just nurse as much as she wants. Try to relax and just enjoy the time and let her nurse. It honestly sounds like you are over thinking and stressing a lot. Do you have help?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is she stopping because there's no more milk (which I don't think is possible, even if it feels like it) or because she's gassy and needs to burp, perhaps?

If I were you, I would spend a day or a few shirtless and with baby on me as much as possible. Do you nurse laying down? I love just laying in bed with my DD, nursing her while I read a boom, watch tv or check things out on my iphone, and I stay there for her entire 2 hour nap, while she latches on and off, sometimes staying latched for the entire two hours or more. It's tricky when I need to go to the bathroom but she gets plenty of milk and she certainly lets my breasts know she wants more.

I find that things like nursing necklaces distracted DD away from nursing when she was little. Perhaps a peaceful, calm scenario with fewer distractions might work better for you. Just you rubbing your baby's back perhaps, gazing into her eyes and smiling at her while she nurses.

Best of luck!
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

I was wondering about gassiness as well. My daughter would fuss and fuss and pull off and refuse to latch over and over quite often for the first few months. I'd end up crying because I couldn't calm her down or satisfy her. But I just had to keep trying and trying and trying to latch her anyway and keep her nursing. We had very long nursing sessions all the time because of the latch-on, latch-off issue. I'm pretty sure it was just colic and gas and it went away in time, but nursing took a lot of persistence for the first few months.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Also, do you babywear? Mastering how to nurse in a wrap or sling is a lifesaver! Its easy to practice skin to skin this way too:-)!

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Everything I was going to say was already mentioned by these wonderful mamas!

I would suggest taking away the paci and bottle too for now at least. Pump immediately after every feeding that you can, or when she is asleep for longer than 3-4 hours if you can.

Have you checked for tongue tie?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
bigmommylove
Registered Users

Keep offering the breast and only pump when you need to. Herbs have helped me a lot. I'm using Breastea right now and I have seen a great increase in my milk supply. You might want to look into that as well.
bigmommylove is offline   Reply With Quote