Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I don't know what to do anymore...

Is there any chance she has reflux? Our LO#4 has TERRIBLE reflux. She ended up in U of MD hospital because she was breathing rapidly because of it (wasting her calories) and they were concerned that it could be a cardiac issue from birth. She ended up having a barium swallow and swallow study. I creied having to give her those yucky chemicals to drink but she was a champ. She would just want a paci(1st baby to have one) not to nurse because it was very painful. On the swallow study it is live feed xray and as she was swallowing in her throat the milk from her stomach was coming right back up. Just a thought don't give up as long as she is gaining and having wet diapers.

Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Users

One thing to keep in mind with the supply-demand process of breastfeeding is that after breastfeeding is pretty well established, you really shouldn't really ever feel particularly full--that can often mean you have waited too long to nurse your baby. Overly full breasts send the message to the body to create less milk. We can get into this dangerous cycle of waiting longer so we feel fuller and "have more milk", but it's actually undermining the supply-demand process.

As long as baby is nursing effectively, your breasts will be delivering milk even if they feel empty. So perhaps the problem is that she's not nursing as effectively as she could be.

Can you attend a LLL meeting with your baby to have someone look at her latch, her positioning, and look for obvious tongue tie? You can take your older child to meetings, too.
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Registered Users

According to this (very informative) website, this sounds all normal! The fussiness might be due to being easily distracted at this age, teething, "some kind of gastrointestinal growth spurt," reflux, or ramping up supply for another developmental/growth spurt:
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Users
Also wanted to add that your nipples shouldn't be touching the sides. Sounds like you need larger nipple shields.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote