Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

vacation sans 15 mo old....will he still bf?

My husband and I are contemplating a vacation this winter without our kids. At the moment, I'm not ready to leave my one year old, and I don't know if I will by 15 months either. The first time we left our older child, he was 18 months and had already stopped nursing.

Can anyone share experiences of leaving a breastfeeding toddler around this age (15 mo) for one week? He'll still be getting breastmilk while I'm gone, and I will bring my trusty pump. I am just afraid that he won't want to breastfeed when I get back, and that isn't exactly how I want to finish....

Advertisement

SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Re: vacation sans 15 mo old....will he still bf?

If you're worried about it, I definitely wouldn't risk it. A week is a long time for a one year old to go without nursing. He may go right back to nursing without a glitch, but could also totally forget how to nurse, or not be very interested in it. What about taking the little one and leaving the older one?

Last edited by Connor; 09-11-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
SevenFinns
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Anyone else who has done this?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Alouette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi there, I had to leave my then 15 months old for a week this summer, and when I came back she was mad at me (for about half a day) and wouldn't nurse anymore. I offered many times for the following weeks, but she kept saying "no", or nursed for 2 seconds and then said "no". For a few days, she would still ask or sign for milk at moments that were strongly linked to nursing, but did not actually nurse. She would even get mad at seeing my breasts for a while. Now it's okay.

Needless to say, it was not a fun way to wean, and sometimes wish I had not gone away (work-related, had to go, somehow wonder it I could have brought her with me).

I did bring my pump to keep my supply up (but did not leave breastmilk for her), but she simply did not want to nurse when I came back.

I felt like I had lost my baby, and at first I was totally lost at how to be her mom without this whole nursing thing. On the upside, she does sleep better at night now.
Alouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have not gone away from my baby at that age, but I have gone *with* my baby! We brought my parents with us on our 10th anniversary trip. They could take care of the kids and give us alone time, but then we were still together often enough to nurse and at night. I thought it was a perfect mix of being away and also being together. Maybe something like that would work for you?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
SevenFinns
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette View Post
Hi there, I had to leave my then 15 months old for a week this summer, and when I came back she was mad at me (for about half a day) and wouldn't nurse anymore. I offered many times for the following weeks, but she kept saying "no", or nursed for 2 seconds and then said "no". For a few days, she would still ask or sign for milk at moments that were strongly linked to nursing, but did not actually nurse. She would even get mad at seeing my breasts for a while. Now it's okay.

Needless to say, it was not a fun way to wean, and sometimes wish I had not gone away (work-related, had to go, somehow wonder it I could have brought her with me).

I did bring my pump to keep my supply up (but did not leave breastmilk for her), but she simply did not want to nurse when I came back.

I felt like I had lost my baby, and at first I was totally lost at how to be her mom without this whole nursing thing. On the upside, she does sleep better at night now.
I want to cry even thinking about that. It is what I am afraid of....and this would be a trip by choice that isn't work-related. My husband is really pushing me toward doing it, but he'll back down if I make up my mind. We have a floating timeshare, and it would be convenient for many reasons if we take the trip just after Christmas. But I don't think convenience should determine when I stop breastfeeding. I wish we could just take my parents along with our kids, but it would cost an extra $1800 in plane tickets alone, so the only way we could swing bringing the kids is by inviting another couple with kids so we could trade babysitting favors during the trip. It looks like I have some persuading to do.....
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFinns View Post
I want to cry even thinking about that. It is what I am afraid of....and this would be a trip by choice that isn't work-related. My husband is really pushing me toward doing it, but he'll back down if I make up my mind. We have a floating timeshare, and it would be convenient for many reasons if we take the trip just after Christmas. But I don't think convenience should determine when I stop breastfeeding. I wish we could just take my parents along with our kids, but it would cost an extra $1800 in plane tickets alone, so the only way we could swing bringing the kids is by inviting another couple with kids so we could trade babysitting favors during the trip. It looks like I have some persuading to do.....
Oooh, yah! We did that this summer and it was great! We split the cost on a rental house and stayed together with friends. Then we traded babysitting! In the evening after the kids went to bed, we had grown-ups to hang out with too! It was nice! Also, when we went on vacation with my parents, they paid!