Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
IslaRose
Registered Users

anyone supplement a bf baby with goat's milk...?

And if so, what kind of poop changes resulted? I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old, and pumping for work. I'm thinking about slowly incorporating goat's milk, because...well, I HATE pumping. I'm fully aware of the rules of supply and demand, and intend to take it very slowly as to not compromise my supply.

But I really don't want to mess up our cloth system yet! The babysitter and I are very aware of how easy wash day is while baby is 100% bf compared to what it could be with supplementation. Mild smelling watery breastmilk poops are about as easy as you get, I imagine.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone supplement a bf baby with goat's milk...?

nutrution wise there is absoultly no compasrion and at 2 months I'd supplement with formula or a goats milk based formula over breastmilk..
As for the poo not sure my first was both breast and formula fed her poo as she got a bit older was more more formed we had the sticky peanutbutter poo more but it still all came out in the wash fine. I was a dunk and swish gal then no sprayer.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
cemetree
Registered Users
seller

i would not do it unless you speak to your baby's doctor first
cemetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
IslaRose
Registered Users

So I'm assuming no one has actually used goats milk? I've got the ok from her health care provider to use small amounts of raw goats milk as a supplement, and I've of course researched it for myself...I'm not willing to use formula since it is more likely to mess up her digestive system and interfere with the absorption of nutrients from breastmilk. Goats milk is much closer to human milk.

I'm really concerned about how it might change her poop...but I appreciate the nutrition concerns too ladies!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
IslaRose
Registered Users

So I'm assuming no one has actually used goats milk? I've got the ok from her health care provider to use small amounts of raw goats milk as a supplement, and I've of course researched it for myself...I'm not willing to use formula since it is more likely to mess up her digestive system and interfere with the absorption of nutrients from breastmilk. Goats milk is much closer to human milk.

I'm really concerned about how it might change her poop...but I appreciate the nutrition concerns too ladies!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but no one likes pumping. I hated it. I sacrificed every single lunch break so I could pump for an hour because that's the only pump break I could take. But you do it. Because it's what's best for your baby. The baby you invited into your life. At two months your supply is just barely established. Any "supplementing" is just the first step on a slippery slope. There is no way I would ever give a 2 month old baby formula or goat's milk or any other substance when I was perfectly capable of, if not inconvenienced by, giving my baby the real milk she was supposed to be drinking. I can't imagine a Dr. would sanction this at 2 months.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldnt try it. Not at 2 mths old. I would use formula. Goats milks is for goats. :twocents: breast milk for babies (and if need be human formula).
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I have a friend that actually owns goats and ended up supplementing her baby because of very poor weight gain. She only gave her one or two small bottles a day and she did okay and is actually still nursing her at 20 months old. I know she was very, very careful to make sure she was nursing her plenty as to not end up with a slippery slope situation. I am pretty sure she ended up having to dunk and swish her cloth diapers if I remember right though. She doesn't own a sprayer so I don't know how hard it was to get off the diapers.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

FWIW mama I had a failure to thrive baby. I suplemented breastmilk with a high calorie formula because she HAD to have the extra calorie and I could not pump tried and tried used every system under the sun and nothing not a drop although shes did get it from the tap okay.. I also nursed said child for 48 months so sumplementing doesn't always equal weaning..
But saying that yes pumping is hard I was at one point doing up to 20 hours a day of skin to skin nursing encouragment at the same time periods of using a SNS to encourage her and having to mix and bottle feed some of the most expensive formula around.. Yet it was done cause it had to be. I do encorage you to stick with pumping longer even if its jsut a small goal say another 2 weeks or 30 days then see how you feel.. SOmetimes plans cahnge sometimes they are forced on us sometimes there jsut personal decessions needed to make things work.. It happens don't beat your self up over it.
But please try to hold off longer if you do choose though the diapers will be fine there is really no telling what her consistantly will be like.. GOod luck mama
and CONGRATS on the wee one

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
BummisMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 2 months, there is very little nutrition that a baby can absorb from goat's milk. Before trying supplementing with it, you could try out formula jsut to see if it's actually hard on your baby's digestion. Some children are able to make the switch easily with no issues whatsoever and then you know that your child is getting the nutrition that they need.
BummisMom is offline   Reply With Quote