Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
IslaRose
Registered Users

Re: anyone supplement a bf baby with goat's milk...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by days_fly_by View Post
I hope this doesn't sound mean, but no one likes pumping. I hated it. I sacrificed every single lunch break so I could pump for an hour because that's the only pump break I could take. But you do it. Because it's what's best for your baby. The baby you invited into your life. At two months your supply is just barely established. Any "supplementing" is just the first step on a slippery slope. There is no way I would ever give a 2 month old baby formula or goat's milk or any other substance when I was perfectly capable of, if not inconvenienced by, giving my baby the real milk she was supposed to be drinking. I can't imagine a Dr. would sanction this at 2 months.
You don't sound mean at all...but I'm sure you realize that every mother makes sacrifices for her children, but which ones those are and how they are made varies greatly. It's not that I don't think my baby is worth any sacrifice/inconvenience, it's more that I don't see the supplementation of goats mik as being a cop out or something that would be bad for my baby...assuming she does well on it, that is...and it could eliminate a source of stress in my life (so much pumping).

You say you can't imagine a doctor sanctioning the use of goats milk in an infant, but I'm sure you have no problem imagining a doctor suggesting conventional formula - and have you read the side of a formula can lately? Not something I'm willing to put in my baby's body. Many doctors these days only dish out standard mainstream advice, which may or may not be in the best interests of the individual.

Like I said, I've researched goat's milk as a supplement to breastmilk, talked to her doctor about it and feel very comfortable considering trying it out. I was only asking here because I was wondering 1) if anyone here has ever tried it, and 2) how the poop changed.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions everyone!

Advertisement

Last edited by IslaRose; 09-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never used it myself...but I will say that from what I've heard goat's milk beats formula in nutrition for supplementing. No idea on the diapers though. It's supposed to be easier to digest than formula too. Honestly though, if you're pumping and getting enough from pumping to feed baby and it's just an inconvenience, then seriously, you and baby would be much better off just dealing with it and pumping. You have to do a lot more work when you're with baby to avoid pumping during the day. And I'll tell ya from a few times when I forgot my pump or things were just too crazy at work to get the necessary time at work to pump, it gets REALLY uncomfortable going an extended time without emptying the breast. Not to mention the risk of duct clogs and mastitis. At 2 months old, your supply is still not completely regulated even if it feels like it's there...It takes a good 4-5 months for a supply to be completely established and able to take the hit of not nursing or pumping during the day. Taking out those pumping sessions could very seriously affect your supply as well as making a real problem for your health (i.e. mastitis) Even taking away pumping/nursing during the day gradually will still change your supply and it could very well be devastating. I really caution you to really think about how long you want to breastfeed because cutting out pumping during your work hours and then needing to BF all day during the weekends will put your supply on a roller coaster...especially this early. That roller coaster could do a great deal of harm and even lead to eventually losing your supply or at the very least having it drop to the point that you have to do some serious work (that you'll hate even more than pumping) to fix in order to continue BF'ing and you'll be right back to pumping again. I know it hard to take time out and pump and I know pumping when you're away from baby is a pain in the rear! But it's worth the comparatively minimal time and effort to maintain compared to the extensive time and effort it takes to fix a supply problem.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

For many years (and also currently in other parts of the world) RAW goat milk is used for babies and they do FINE...

RAW goat milk is nothing like pasturized goat milk. Raw goat milk has antibodies,enzymes, vitamines minerals, including trace minerals that humans need just like human breastmilk. Yes there are some differences, but I never heard of a baby turning into a GOAT after being given goat milk... I think that is why certain animals produce an abundance of milk- so us humans can use it if we are in need.

I would give my newborn baby raw goat milk if I had the choice of pumping vs. raw goat milk.

So your not the only one. I hate pumping too!

As far as the yucky diapers go. I have no experience with a baby with raw goat milk poopy diapers.

BUT I bet it will be similar to your breast milk and not smell as much as formula baby poop since it is raw and has a very similar make-up as human milk.

If your going to pasturize it, you should expect it to smell more. It still probably wont be near as bad as formula, though!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
IslaRose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
FWIW mama I had a failure to thrive baby. I suplemented breastmilk with a high calorie formula because she HAD to have the extra calorie and I could not pump tried and tried used every system under the sun and nothing not a drop although shes did get it from the tap okay.. I also nursed said child for 48 months so sumplementing doesn't always equal weaning..
But saying that yes pumping is hard I was at one point doing up to 20 hours a day of skin to skin nursing encouragment at the same time periods of using a SNS to encourage her and having to mix and bottle feed some of the most expensive formula around.. Yet it was done cause it had to be. I do encorage you to stick with pumping longer even if its jsut a small goal say another 2 weeks or 30 days then see how you feel.. SOmetimes plans cahnge sometimes they are forced on us sometimes there jsut personal decessions needed to make things work.. It happens don't beat your self up over it.
But please try to hold off longer if you do choose though the diapers will be fine there is really no telling what her consistantly will be like.. GOod luck mama
and CONGRATS on the wee one

Deanna
Thanks! I'm really not thinking of doing anything drastic, such as give up pumping entirely and switch to goat's milk in the bottles. I'm more thinking of having goats milk as a very occasional backup to pumped breastmilk at first, seeing how she does with it, and then slowly incorporating a regular bottle per day, and then eventually 2 per day. I'm able to come home and nurse her at lunch, so the most she takes is 2 bottles a day. If she can take goats milk while I'm not there, that will put me at nursing her at 7:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 3:30 pm (I work until 3 each day) and then on demand from that point, which allows me ample opportunity to maintain my supply. I also would nurse on demand all weekend.
Thanks again for the thoughts!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to add that I would not pump on the weekdays, then nurse all weekend- that could cause mastitis.

I would give goat bottles to baby on weekends too - you dont have to give as many as you do on a weekday though.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
IslaRose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicah View Post
For many years (and also currently in other parts of the world) RAW goat milk is used for babies and they do FINE...

RAW goat milk is nothing like pasturized goat milk. Raw goat milk has antibodies,enzymes, vitamines minerals, including trace minerals that humans need just like human breastmilk. Yes there are some differences, but I never heard of a baby turning into a GOAT after being given goat milk... I think that is why certain animals produce an abundance of milk- so us humans can use it if we are in need.

I would give my newborn baby raw goat milk if I had the choice of pumping vs. raw goat milk.

So your not the only one. I hate pumping too!

As far as the yucky diapers go. I have no experience with a baby with raw goat milk poopy diapers.

BUT I bet it will be similar to your breast milk and not smell as much as formula baby poop since it is raw and has a very similar make-up as human milk.

If your going to pasturize it, you should expect it to smell more. It still probably wont be near as bad as formula, though!
Thank you!! I am planning to use raw milk. In fact, I'm considering switching the whole family to it if we can afford it.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BummisMom View Post
At 2 months, there is very little nutrition that a baby can absorb from goat's milk. Before trying supplementing with it, you could try out formula jsut to see if it's actually hard on your baby's digestion. Some children are able to make the switch easily with no issues whatsoever and then you know that your child is getting the nutrition that they need.
I think she was more concerned about her baby's gut in that at two months it is no where near sealed. Even just one bottle of formula changes an infant's flora to change considerably and it takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks of exclusive breast milk to return to it's biologically "normal" healthy state. http://massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html That said, I'm sure goat milk would change it as well...

Consistency-wise I think the poop would be a little thicker/pastier than EBM poop. You still might be able to get by without a sprayer and just throw it in the wash, but I don't know.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Amber1279
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read all the posts, but I did want to say that my mom supplemented with fresh goat's milk with my younger twin brothers. It was 1981 and their systems couldn't take formula or cow's milk. They are 31 now so it didn't kill them. If you doctor has oked it then it is fine. I agree goat's milk is better than formula or cow's milk.
Amber1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who used raw goat's milk in place of formula once her child was over 6 months old. She added some additional vitamins and such too it similar to the recipe from Westin A. Price, but not nearly as complicated. She still nursed I believe, but had excessively low supply issues. Her DD did just fine. You may need to get a sprayer as the poo will likely be stickier.

My personal suggestion would be to still pump an ounce or two at work when she's getting a bottle. Then you could give her half breast milk/half goat milk bottles instead of straight goat's milk. It would require less pumping from you and stress if you just had to get an ounce from each side, and would keep your supply up much better.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
IslaRose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by days_fly_by View Post
I think she was more concerned about her baby's gut in that at two months it is no where near sealed. Even just one bottle of formula changes an infant's flora to change considerably and it takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks of exclusive breast milk to return to it's biologically "normal" healthy state. http://massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html That said, I'm sure goat milk would change it as well...

Consistency-wise I think the poop would be a little thicker/pastier than EBM poop. You still might be able to get by without a sprayer and just throw it in the wash, but I don't know.
I wish I could see a picture of goats milk infant poop!! Lol

Last edited by IslaRose; 09-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.