Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
IslaRose
Registered Users

Re: anyone supplement a bf baby with goat's milk...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I have a friend who used raw goat's milk in place of formula once her child was over 6 months old. She added some additional vitamins and such too it similar to the recipe from Westin A. Price, but not nearly as complicated. She still nursed I believe, but had excessively low supply issues. Her DD did just fine. You may need to get a sprayer as the poo will likely be stickier.

My personal suggestion would be to still pump an ounce or two at work when she's getting a bottle. Then you could give her half breast milk/half goat milk bottles instead of straight goat's milk. It would require less pumping from you and stress if you just had to get an ounce from each side, and would keep your supply up much better.
I really only go 4 hours between nursing since I come home for an 11:30 lunch and get home for the day at 3:30. The bottles are only just in case she can't wait for me...she only takes 3-4 ounces and it's more to tide her over than a meal replacement. Sometimes she skips a bottle entirely.

Advertisement

IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This has me thinking mama, I am DONE pumping. I work away from dd 5 hours and she does not take a bottle at all anymore( 9 months ) so I am basically just pumping to put it in her cereal. Its just not worth the pain. I was thinking soy milk ?? But may look into goats milk. Thank you
kalibratx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made my dd the raw goats milk formula recipe found on weston a. Prices website she drank it from 4 weeks old till about 15 months she thrived on it it has several ingredients and can look intemedating at first but if you go to www.radiantlifecatalogue.com they have a kit you cam buy with all the ingredients you need to make it except the raw milk hth!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemama
I made my dd the raw goats milk formula recipe found on weston a. Prices website she drank it from 4 weeks old till about 15 months she thrived on it it has several ingredients and can look intemedating at first but if you go to www.radiantlifecatalogue.com they have a kit you cam buy with all the ingredients you need to make it except the raw milk hth!
What's this link supposed to be?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #25
mi_hiker
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/
Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #26
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_hiker View Post
Wow, I never knew you could make your own formula!! (I BF) its soooo expensive, and it must taste just awful? Cod liver oil, icky, I can totally see why someone would need to do it, but I feel bad for the poor baby that has to drink that stuff
Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #27
majomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

She's just asking about poop, people, just poop!!
majomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #28
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomama View Post
She's just asking about poop, people, just poop!!
Oh, I know! I was just really suprised to learn that you can make formula! I would imagine the poop would be similar to FF poop, but if baby is only drinking a few Oz a day, I don't think it would change that much!!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #29
majomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420

Oh, I know! I was just really suprised to learn that you can make formula! I would imagine the poop would be similar to FF poop, but if baby is only drinking a few Oz a day, I don't think it would change that much!!
Yes, goats milk is very similar to bm. I took a raw foods class and the instructor gave us a recipe to make a formula..goats milk and some fermented vegetable juice. Some have commented on how bad goats milk would taste but if it's the only thing they know then how would they think it tasted bad compared to a vanilla milkshake?? Other countries drink only goats milk.
About the poop, I would imagine that if goats milk is digested as easily as bm the poops shouldn't be that different..just more goat-y smelling on that note, would be curious to know about that after baby's first goats milk bottle!!
majomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #30
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123 View Post
I wouldnt try it. Not at 2 mths old. I would use formula. Goats milks is for goats. :twocents: breast milk for babies (and if need be human formula).
Well then formula must be for robots because it's completely artificial!

OP: I'm shocked by how many people recommend formula over raw goat's milk. Shows how many people are still fooled by formula companies. ANYWAY! I'm guessing that since goat's milk is natural, there will be fairly minimal difference in poo. My cousin supplemented her twins with raw goat's milk and she said their spit up and poo wasn't as stinky as when they were formula fed. Have you thought about using fleece liners to help keep staining to a minimum? Poo rinses off fleece really easily. My DD eats avocado once in a while and it makes for fairly gross diaper changes. The fleece liners have made a big difference! It's super cheap at fabric stores and you can cut it yourself (it doesn't fray so there's no sewing involved).