Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #81
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone supplement a bf baby with goat's milk...?

The poop would probably be more like bf poop. Goat's milk is the closest milk to breast milk. It digests very easily. My daughter has a cow dairy intolerance that she has pretty much grown out of. We used to buy her raw goat's milk.

Advertisement

KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #82
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLmommy

From what I've read about raw milk, you're still going to end up with a *much* healthier product if you boil raw milk in your own home as opposed to buying pasteurized (& probably homogenized milk). You may be losing some nutrients, but at least you will have some left & the assurance that your milk is free of fake vitamins, antibiotics, growth hormones, & whatever nasty stuff they feed commercial dairy cows. IMO.
Thanks for the explanation
Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #83
clothdiaperingmommatomany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have goats, but I have never had to supplement but I do know several moms who have. I know a mom by 6 monthes she was on nothing but goats milk. If I had to choose it would be raw goats milk anyday, rather than a synthetic man made products. plus goats milk is so much healthier than cow and back before they had formula people used goats milk all of the time.
~cloth diapering momma to many~
clothdiaperingmommatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #84
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
“While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.” – Amy Spangler.

Are you implying we shouldn't give our opinion of formula because of the chance of a formula feeding mom reading it? Most Moms I know who have formula fed based on supply issues are as against formula as I am (in fact my friend who now formula feeds due to supply issues calls it "poison"). They don't recommend it and they hate it. Usually the women who are so offended by lactivists are those who chose to formula feed for it's convenience. I know women (my MIL included) who had supply issues and did everything they could to avoid formula. Some ended up supplementing with formula but they didn't expect everyone else to avoid mentioning breastmilk in front of them or act like formula is a good thing. Really, how often is a mom's mental health the reason she chooses to formula feed? I'm sure there are times when that's the reason and that is certainly her choice, but those cases aren't the majority. The majority do it because it's easier for them. I'm not going to pretend formula is something it's not in order to spare feelings. The truth is that breastmilk is better than formula and milk from a healthy animal is superior to formula.

Fooled into thinking it's a suitable substitute for breastmilk.
Wow.......I wasn't going to respond to this because I didn't want OP's thread to take this turn (and I apologize OP but I am going to respond now).

I didn't say anything about acting like formula was a good thing or not giving ones opinion on formula. I don't think anyone here is arguing about how awesome formula is, of course breastmilk is the absolute best in infant nutrition and formula will never recreate it. My point was, there is a way to voice your opinion that takes into account the feelings of others and you can word your opinion tactfully. Holier then thou quotes are not the answer.........neither is talking about "poison" in reference to formula.

I am HUGE supporter of lactivists and of breastfeeding, but I'm an even bigger supporter of WOMEN and MOTHERS. I think this militant stance on formua is very alienating and actually hurts the cause. I especially dislike your HUGE (most likely false) generalization about "the majority choosing formula because it's easier for them". Who made you such an expert? How would you even begin to know why someone did or didn't nurse? Maybe you've heard reasons that you don't deem to be "good enough"....maybe that Mom didn't feel like telling you she'd been sexually assaulted as a child and felt uncomfortable........maybe she didn't feel like telling you she suffered from PPD and had to do it..........the point is, it could be any number of reasons, you don't know and shouldn't make such harsh generalizations.

I really hope that type of language and generalizations are not allowed to continue.......there's just no call for it.......again OP, sorry for taking this off topic.

Last edited by lrgs; 09-14-2011 at 01:55 PM.
lrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #85
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish there was a like button on here sometimes..... lol
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #86
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow this post exploded with sanctimommyness. The actual question you asked was about the poop and diapers. I have not tried using Goat's Milk formula but my DS did drink Goat's Milk when he was over a year. It did not change his poop drastically though. I think the previous suggestion of fleece liners was a good one. What kind of diapers are you using? The fleece would make it easier if the babysitter will be setting them aside for you. However getting a sprayer might be a good thing too but I really love mine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 09-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #87
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

I have ZERO desire to read through this long thread to see what has been posted and what needs answering ... but here's my two cents

I couldn't nurse. I pumped for 5 1/2 months. I got less than half his intake, no matter what I did. He was on about 1 part breast milk, 3 parts Baby's Only formula.
At 5.5 months, I gave up pumping, and he started getting 2 part raw goat milk, 2 part Baby's only formula.
We haven't had any problems - he's 13 months old now.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I'll answer anything. I'm actually really nice despite my snippiness in the first line that I don't want to read the thread.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #88
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicah View Post
I wanted to add that I would not pump on the weekdays, then nurse all weekend- that could cause mastitis.

I would give goat bottles to baby on weekends too - you dont have to give as many as you do on a weekday though.
I just wanted to respond to this part. I don't think it is necessary to give the bottles on weekends out of fear of mastitis. My babies always wanted to nurse more on weekends just because we were together. A lot more often than I pumped at work. This never led to anything like mastitis. At worst, just some engorgement on Mondays.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #89
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
I got your research right here:

Kellymom (they must have been duped by the evil formula companies)
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html

Dr Sears - Another formula company pawn!
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...lers/goat-milk

Here is a nutritional comparison. Goat milk is much closer to cow milk than it is to human milk:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser...lk_content.htm

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...25/4/e973.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15188986

I think that most people have been referring to a goat milk formula- raw goats milk with other ingredients added (fish oils, for example). Most moms who have done enough research to go with goat milk formula know that the milk on it's own is not nutritionally adequate.

Raw milk has a lot of advantages over anything pasteurized, and I would take the risks of contamination over the overall health risks associated with formula feeding. To the poster who said that babies have "thrived" on formula- why are children sicker in general than they have been in years? Allergies, diabetes, and other immune issues are on the rise, and occurring at younger and younger ages. The children of this generation are not "thriving" (in general).
Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #90
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLmommy View Post
From what I've read about raw milk, you're still going to end up with a *much* healthier product if you boil raw milk in your own home as opposed to buying pasteurized (& probably homogenized milk). You may be losing some nutrients, but at least you will have some left & the assurance that your milk is free of fake vitamins, antibiotics, growth hormones, & whatever nasty stuff they feed commercial dairy cows. IMO.
Boiling isn't necessary- low-temp pasteurization should be possible in a crockpot and will destroy less nutrients. Some milk in the store can be bought like this (I get some from whole foods called Snowville Creamery)- milk is heated to 140 degrees and held there for...10 minutes? Not sure about that number, but it's close. Bacteria is killed, but the general structure of the milk remains the same.