Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Im torn :(

Hang in there hon. Sounds like you've really been through the ringer with breastfeeding so far. It's neither here nor there, but I'm a certified lactation counselor and I breastfed my daughter. I highly recommend starting over.

Yep, that's what I said. Start over. Someone else mentioned nursing int he bath tub. That's what I suggest as well. A warm bath recreates the birth experience. Lay in the warm tub with baby on your chest and let him do that whole skin to skin thing until he naturally latches. I'd do this at a time when he isn't crying to be fed or anything, so he's nice and calm and relaxed by the water and mommy time.

I also agree that you should put the bottles away for now. If you need to supplement use a cup. Even very tiny babies can be cup fed. Just hold a small cup to his mouth and offer tiny sips. This should help with the nipple confusion he is having due to the bottle.

I also agree with doing breast compression while he's nursing. Do you know how? Press down on the breast where you can feel the milk and press towards the nipple to push the milk into his mouth. Rotate to do the entire breast.

Feel free to pm me. I'll be on pretty often over the weekend. Good luck mama. There are things you can do to up your supply again. But I'm leaning toward getting the baby back on the breast. Then your supply will go up naturally.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Hang in there hon. Sounds like you've really been through the ringer with breastfeeding so far. It's neither here nor there, but I'm a certified lactation counselor and I breastfed my daughter. I highly recommend starting over.

Yep, that's what I said. Start over. Someone else mentioned nursing int he bath tub. That's what I suggest as well. A warm bath recreates the birth experience. Lay in the warm tub with baby on your chest and let him do that whole skin to skin thing until he naturally latches. I'd do this at a time when he isn't crying to be fed or anything, so he's nice and calm and relaxed by the water and mommy time.

I also agree that you should put the bottles away for now. If you need to supplement use a cup. Even very tiny babies can be cup fed. Just hold a small cup to his mouth and offer tiny sips. This should help with the nipple confusion he is having due to the bottle.

I also agree with doing breast compression while he's nursing. Do you know how? Press down on the breast where you can feel the milk and press towards the nipple to push the milk into his mouth. Rotate to do the entire breast.

Feel free to pm me. I'll be on pretty often over the weekend. Good luck mama. There are things you can do to up your supply again. But I'm leaning toward getting the baby back on the breast. Then your supply will go up naturally.
Thanks!! Will try the tub and see how that works once he latches and will accept the breast I'll try doing breast compression. I'm hoping he accepts the breast without a fuss by starting over! Bc All he does is scream when I try to give it to him and suck for a bit then stop and scream some more
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck hon. Let me know how it goes.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know so many moms that started supplementing with bottles in the first few weeks, and it is REALLY hard to go back from that. In all honesty, I don't know anyone in person who has continued breastfeeding full-time after that...but that doesn't mean that it's not possible. Babies are smart; they want what is easiest! But you are the mother, and you know what is BEST. Babies want and need to breastfeed; they just get irritated and distracted when they know there is a faster way.

Stick in there- you've gotten great advice. It will probably take more tears from the both of you before it's resolved, but the health of your baby is at stake. And your health. Don't let your baby dictate what you do at this point; he doesn't know what's best for him; you do. You wouldn't want to look back later and wonder if you should have tried harder, so do the Best you can to follow your instincts now, while he is still so little and can adjust quickly.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
LyssieRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I so feel your pain! With my 2nd son I had mastitis 3x before we figured things out. I agree with the other mama's about doing away with the bottles. To stimulate my LO to nurse when he didn't want to latch I would hand express a little bit into his mouth and then he seemed to figure out that I had something he wanted and he'd latch on.

Good luck Mama, I'm rooting for you
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Check kellymom.com and look up nipple confusion. There are some great tips for getting baby back on the breast!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yikes, I'm so sorry that you got mastitis. I had it 3 times with DS1 in the first month it was miserable. You've gotten lots of great advice, but I wanted to chime in with a defense of nipple shields. My DS1 was preemie so I had to use a shield to even get him to latch because he had problems with getting the right suction due to his prematurity. My DS2 was full term and had no problems with latching BUT then I got engorged and had a big problem getting him to nurse because he couldn't latch then if he did latch milk would squirt out all over him...anyway, I gave him some bottles of expressed BM so he'd have food in his belly. Then when my engorgement went away I tried to get him back to the breast and he said "No thanks mom" So, I went back to the trusty shield and he took right to it. Both DS1 and DS2 were off the shield by 8 weeks, so it was a temporary thing for us. So, maybe try a shield because he'll still be getting BM and it will help him get back to the breast. I can't say I loved the shield since it added an extra step of clean up, but it ultimately gave me two EBFed babies so for that I'm thankful.

Good luck and
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5
Yikes, I'm so sorry that you got mastitis. I had it 3 times with DS1 in the first month it was miserable. You've gotten lots of great advice, but I wanted to chime in with a defense of nipple shields. My DS1 was preemie so I had to use a shield to even get him to latch because he had problems with getting the right suction due to his prematurity. My DS2 was full term and had no problems with latching BUT then I got engorged and had a big problem getting him to nurse because he couldn't latch then if he did latch milk would squirt out all over him...anyway, I gave him some bottles of expressed BM so he'd have food in his belly. Then when my engorgement went away I tried to get him back to the breast and he said "No thanks mom" So, I went back to the trusty shield and he took right to it. Both DS1 and DS2 were off the shield by 8 weeks, so it was a temporary thing for us. So, maybe try a shield because he'll still be getting BM and it will help him get back to the breast. I can't say I loved the shield since it added an extra step of clean up, but it ultimately gave me two EBFed babies so for that I'm thankful.

Good luck and
I have a shield but didn't know how it would so I have yet to try it. But I'll give that a shot as well!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've talked to women who need to eliminate allergens who pump and dump/donate for weeks with baby on a hypoallergenic formula and still get that baby back on the boob full time. It can be a tough road, but CAN be done.

OP, can you go to a LLL meeting or visit a leader? Do you have a good Ibclc nearby? You've gotten a lot of good advice so far!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tons of great advice on here, good job mamas! You REALLY should see if there is a La Leche League group where you live, they can offer tons of help, or go to WIC, I don't think you have to be a participant to see a LC there. DD is the first one I bf and after about 2 months we got things down pretty well and now she nurses for 5 minutes and she's done. Nothing like at first! Just keep offering the breast and doing massage. When your LO pulls off and screams, try to squeeze some milk out and let him taste it to know it's there. Keep us updated!!
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote