Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
S4r4h
Registered Users

So sad about nursing less as baby gets older

So ... I just needed to share this with some people who might understand.

My daughter Charlie is 8 months old and eats 2-3 meals a day of "grown up food" ... we did baby led weaning and it worked great for us. She is to the point where she only nurses first thing in the morning, before her midday nap, and before bed. I adore our nursing relationship and have put a lot of effort into pumping at a full time job and have never had to supplement. Anyway, I know this is just what happens as they get older, but the truth is I'm just so sad. Sad that she's nursing less. Sad that she's growing up and I can't seem to keep up. We still have another year (or whatever) of nursing before she weans but I'm having a much harder time with the change than I thought I would. Anyone else struggle with these sorts of things?

Advertisement

Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.

Last edited by S4r4h; 09-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Until she's a year old 95% of her calories should be coming from bf. Do you encourage her to nurse often?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sp sad about nursing less as baby gets older

Wait, what??? Babies slow down on their nursing as they get older??? My DS must not have gotten the memo! Lol.

Hugs mama. I just wanted to say that really "adult food" should not be replacing any of your daughters BM meals at this age. You could increase her nursing/ BM meals by offering the breast or bottle before solid meals. BM should be where most if not all of her calories come from at this age. " under one just for fun" for solids. babies also go on nursing strikes so watch for those. Check out kellymom.com for info on that.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
S4r4h
Registered Users

I do encourage her to nurse before solids, I always have. She'll nurse a little but she's distractible and has taken a real liking to food. I have no intention of weaning or anything. I am surprised that your kids haven't slowed down with nursing (though I'm sure there are exceptions like growth spurts and illness) when they start really eating food ...?

ETA: What I meant is that the nursing sessions in the morning/midday/bedtime are long and she seems to consume quite a bit as opposed to snacking.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.

Last edited by S4r4h; 09-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
S4r4h
Registered Users

Re: So sad about nursing less as baby gets older

Okay, so after thinking about your responses ... they surprised me and were not what I expected. It makes me think I should reconsider the approach a bit and offer less food/nurse more. I didn't think she was eating too much but it wouldn't hurt to back it off a bit. Thanks, it's actually a bit of a relief since I was clearly struggling with the change.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama, I am with you, I have a December baby too, and she is not nursing much at all latley I wonder if its a girl thing, my DS nursed ALL.THE.TIME until he was well over a year old!! We did BLW too, Abby LOVES food, she is a little piggy Even when she does nurse, its not that much (or dosn't seem to be, but she is happy...) Her best nursing session is her middle of the night feeds and in the morning before we get out of bed. In the afternoon, I am lucky if she nurses for 5 mins, she is soooo busy too, its hard to get her to stop, she is almost walking, she can take 2-3 steps already! She just never wants to sit still during the day. I really miss our snuggle time, and trust me, I offer the boob a lot! I am just following her cues, as much as its hurting me, I know in my heart, she will be done soon
Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama
Wait, what??? Babies slow down on their nursing as they get older??? My DS must not have gotten the memo! Lol.

Hugs mama. I just wanted to say that really "adult food" should not be replacing any of your daughters BM meals at this age. You could increase her nursing/ BM meals by offering the breast or bottle before solid meals. BM should be where most if not all of her calories come from at this age. " under one just for fun" for solids. babies also go on nursing strikes so watch for those. Check out kellymom.com for info on that.
Lol! Same here, My 23 month old DS nurses 10+ times a day. OP, I didn't even start solids until 12 months. You could offer a smaller portion and see if it encourages her to nurse more.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
mandidavid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear you, Mama! You have received some great advice, too. My DD is 19 months and has just taken another dip in her nursing, but still wants to nurse somewhere around 6x a day. We worked really hard on our nursing relationship, so I can relate to what you are saying. It is sad to think of the day that they wean completely, and that does not have to be anytime soon! Mine was nursing 12x/day + at 8 months old. I think its normal to have some sadness though when your little one starts to nurse a little less than they did. At 8 months, yep, most of her calories should still be coming from your milk.
Also, if she is easily distracted - have you thought about a nursing necklace? Something to keep her attention and fiddle with while she's nursing? I make nursing necklaces, but I adore Mommy Necklaces! Most definitely helped us when she started to get distracted from nursing! Just a thought!
I make nursing necklaces! PM me for details!
mandidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You've gotten great advice. I totally agree- cut back on the solids, and beef up the nursing. Mine was still exclusively bfing at 8 months. She didn't have a bite of food until 11 months.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD turns 3 on Tuesday and she nurses three times a day: when she wakes up in the morning, before nap, and before bed.

Sometimes between 8 and 12 months, some babies get less interested in nursing, and it's often mistaken for weaning. That may be what your baby is doing.