Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Washing mouth out with soap

Does anyone still do this anymore? My mom did this to me when I was growing up. OMG I hated it so much. This is one thing I will never do to my kids. She used to just rub the bar of soap on my tongue...but I had quite the honesty problem as a child and I guess she just got fed up. She would make me take a bite of and chew it up and swallow it. It was so horrible. I remember sitting on the fireplace crying and bubbles were coming out of my mouth and she thought it was funny and told me to quit crying and hurry up and swallow it. But it burnt my throat so bad I couldn't eat for at least a day...it seemed longer though to me.

I know someone had their mom use a squirt of dish soap and they swished it around and spit it out. I don't know...it just seems like poison to me. Soap isn't made to be eaten... Being a little child when it happened to me I just can't shake that thought from my head.

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Washing mouth out with soap

I'm not planning on using soap as a punishment b/c when my mom did it to me, it never solved the problem. It just made me resentful. She used to take a toothbrush, rub it on a bar of Lava Soap and then make me brush my teeth with it.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you're right...I got my mouth washed out so many times...you'd a thought I would have learned if it was a good lesson...hehe

Brushing your teeth with it...GROSS!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
rliszkowski
Registered Users
seller

My dh were just discussing this last night. My dss has recently developed a pretty foul mouth. I don't think we will use soap though, my parents never used it on me but I can imagine it is pretty awful.

I would love ideas on the potty mouth though. I was thinking about the swear jar.
rliszkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I use it... I tell my kids that we wash yuckies off with soap and if they choose to speak yucky, then we'll wash it away with soap. But I also ensure they have the proper vocabulary to either express their emotions or their thoughts adequately. Overall, though, I haven't had what I'd consider problems with my children's vocabulary... it's their attitudes that they choose to show which get them into trouble.

If the child is old enough... I make them write out the proper phrase they should use (had they chosen to use bad words or something disrespectful) x10 to their age (so my six year old has to write out "I will not tell my mother to shut up." 60 times). She normally becomes pretty penitent and remorseful around the 5th time writing it... ETA: I meant by the 5th sentance

If the child isn't old enough, they'll sit in the corner with their nose against the wall for 10 minutes (I'm not into that time out ='s one minute per age thing) and then we'll talk about their choice of words/phrases and how they should express it after their time in TO.

This works for us... but good luck! I always cringe when I hear other adults using bad language knowing children are around but feel pretty proud when my oldest tells me loudly "Gee, he needs to write "I will not speak with bad language 100 times."

Last edited by dirtdartwife; 06-08-2006 at 03:30 PM.
dirtdartwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
MapGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliszkowski
... I was thinking about the swear jar.
Well, a swear jar worked for us at work when foul mouths were getting out of hand (but we are all adults). $.25 a swear word. That is until the money got stolen.

It hasn't been reinstituted since, but it has had lasting effects.

Last edited by MapGirl; 06-08-2006 at 03:19 PM.
MapGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
dixiebabies
Banned

oh I could never do soap!!!!! I did do hot sauce a few times and now my oldest DS can drink it from the bottle! He eats hot sauce on everything including eggs.

What we do now is if they are under 5, time out for 5 mins. If they are 6 & up they will write sentences anywhere from 25 to 500 times depending on how and what word was used. We've never had to make anyone of them write 500 tho. That's for a REALLY BADDDD Word.

I am pretty lucky all 6 of our children are very respectful of themselves and other's. Bad words to us are like "dumby" or "pig" used in name calling.
dixiebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, besides bad words, does anyone use it for lying?> What do you do for lying?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok I may get some slack for this but we use vinegar. They get about 1/2 t in their mouth when "naughty" words are said. The older ones get more. We got the idea from my old pastor and thought we would see if it would work. Sure enough it worked like a charm.
Barbara
Hi Dixie!!
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I never had to have soap but the wooden spoon was broken across my backside many times and the belt at least 2 times.

My girls will lie now and then and I will sit down with them and look them in the eye and gently ask them to start over again and they will usually tell the truth. Works for us MUCH nicer than soap.