Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
AndeeL
Registered Users

Cast iron is CHEAP, non-stick, and makes food taste great.

What's your budget? I got a 10 piece Rachael Ray set for $125. Love!

Advertisement

AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Desperately Need Pots and Pans - What to look for?

Is there a Hispanic store anywhere near you? I'd try to get one of the calderos that they sell there. It's perfect for cooking rice and it will last for years (we bought ours for less than $20 about six years ago and it's still going strong) and can hold you through until you can either save the money to buy a better set or find one that you like.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the responses...My budget is about $15/month - I plan on getting 1 piece this month, and 1 piece next months and then I am going to ask for a piece anytime someone asks what we want for Christmas. I definitely have options to look into now - I didn't have any idea what sort of things to even look for before. =)

ETA: If we had a Hispanic shop, it would be at least 60 miles away, and I'm not entirely sure if there are any in the city.

Last edited by B's Mommy; 09-14-2011 at 01:38 AM.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Caphalon makes amazing things - and they have a Target brand that's reasonable. I have a wok that has lasted 4 years of 1-3x a day cooking, and is just now starting to look used. Also, if you go to Goodwill/Savers/second hand places look for anything that says "Hard Anodized" - then you know it's good. You're looking for a heavy, thick bottom. Also, you may think about getting a cast iron skillet. Not too pricey and really amazing for cooking and baking.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #15
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ikea has cheap stainless steel pots and pans, but you get what you pay for - we got about 3 years out of our wok and have pots that are still in good condition after about a year (they are a bit burned on the bottom/warped from hubby always using high heat). These are way better than the wal-mart "get us through college" set we had.
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeL
What's your budget? I got a 10 piece Rachael Ray set for $125. Love!
I second the RR set!!!

If you have a tight budget, like a PP said, Ikea.
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
Sassafras
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

check out thrift stores for cast iron. i got some really cheap. and if they are rusted you can re season them in the oven yourself with oil. i love cast iron!! i also love my le creuset set but they are pricey. some times you can find one with a small chip at marshall's or ross that are DRASTICALLY reduced

My 2014 ISO/IHA
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassafras
check out thrift stores for cast iron. i got some really cheap. and if they are rusted you can re season them in the oven yourself with oil. i love cast iron!! i also love my le creuset set but they are pricey. some times you can find one with a small chip at marshall's or ross that are DRASTICALLY reduced
Yay! Thanks for the tip. Ive been on a le cruset search.
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

We love our le creuset here as well, though they are too heavy for me. I've seen them at tj Max & marshals (always when I couldn't get them of course). Mine are all gifts or from the outlet. If you live near the outlet get on their mailing list so you know what the monthly sale is.

Also, I read in cooks illustrated that there is a pro line for t-fal the 12 inch skillet was around 30 I think & was their top recommendation for a less expensive non stick. It was from last year but they put stuff through the ringer so their reviews are pretty reliable.

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
justlindsay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that I would check into TJmaxx, ross or marshalls. They have a good selection of good brand pots & pans and I am sure you could find a good pot to start with for $15. Or, I would agree that cast iron is great too. I love my cast iron pan!!!