Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy **Updated** Diagnosing diaper rash

So I am having my first encounter with diaper rash. LO (6.5 weeks) has developed one over the last 12-16 hours. Last night we noticed the bottom of his scrotum was actually BLEEDING! He also has red bumps and a rash around his bottom.

He's been in cloth for a few weeks now. I wash every 2-3 days (cold rinses, hot wash, double rinse) with Dropps (have used RnG in the past, but not in the last few washes). He's way too young to be teething and he's been on the same formula for 2 weeks, so I can't imagine it's that..

I use CJs on him at least twice a day as a precaution (and cause it smells awesome) - could he be reacting to that? Since the rash developed I tried using CJs with every change but the rash hasn't gotten better. This morning I was forced to use Boudreaux's and put him in a sposie (I only have that plus the CJs).

Where do I begin to determine what the rash is from and fix it? I've searched the forums and have lots of other alternatives for CD-safe diaper creams, but now I'm afraid to use anything until I figure out what it's from I have disposable liners, but should I keep him in sposies til it's clear to be sure?

FWIW, he DOES currently have 'explosive' poos... sometimes in large quantities, sometimes it's not a lot, but it sounds ridiculous!

Edit: So just got back from the pedi (he happened to have an appt today) - it's a yeast rash Now I'm googling my life away.. sounds like this is a PITA to get rid of.. What kinda cream should I use? (I can use disposable liners if necessary) and should I keep him in sposies for right now? I have Desitin.. my MD said she would call an Rx in for the rash, but I forget the name and I'm wondering if other Mamas think that's necessary.. also heard apple cider vinegar works? I feel like that would sting my LO (I used ACV a couple years ago when I got plantars warts on my feet and OMG I was agony for a days).

Advertisement

Last edited by firsttimeclothmomma; 09-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.
firsttimeclothmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where to start to diagnose diaper rash

It might be the cj's, if I remember correctly it has lanolin in it and some people are allergic to it. It might also be the detergent. I'm not familiar with dropps but rng did not work for us and the diapers did not get clean (hard hard water here). The easiest thing would be try disposables for a day (if you can) without the cj's. If it improves, try the cloth with out cj's.

Hope you can figure it out.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks.. that would be sad as I thought I was going to LOVE CJs...

Do you think it could be residual Rng even though I've washed the last 3-5 times with Dropps?

I don't have any other Cloth diaper safe creams so I'll have to just use sposies til it clears up and then not use any cream (hopefully won't need it!) til I can get something else.. what brands don't have lanolin, does anyone know?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

CJ's might have a lanolin free version, I'm not sure. I think another mama on here has it because her dd is allergic to lanolin.

I don't know about the detergent. I got fed up after trying 6 different kinds and went to Tide and haven't looked back.

The only other cd's safe cream I can think of is Grandma El's? And I don't know if it has lanolin or not.

Another question, what type of diapers are you using? Could it be a synthetic sensitivity?
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
CJ's might have a lanolin free version, I'm not sure. I think another mama on here has it because her dd is allergic to lanolin.

I don't know about the detergent. I got fed up after trying 6 different kinds and went to Tide and haven't looked back.

The only other cd's safe cream I can think of is Grandma El's? And I don't know if it has lanolin or not.

Another question, what type of diapers are you using? Could it be a synthetic sensitivity?
they do, I just checked...

using mainly cotton pfs and a few pockets (BGs, Kawaii...I have like 7 alvababys on the way...)

I have 2 bags of rng, lots of dropps packets and a brand new thing of Gain (for our wash). REALLY trying not to buy 1 more detergent
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I have a friend who's LO was allergic to microfleece that most pockets are lined with. I would try eliminating cream first, then if that does work sticking with prefolds, then detergent.

Also, my LO gets wicked rash if left in a poopy diaper for more than about 5 minutes. Maybe you didn't catch a poop in time? Sometimes mine was a 'stealth pooper' and wouldn't be stinky. When my baby got REALLY bad rash, my doc recommended mixing original Maalox or Mylanta with just enough corn starch to make it a little pasty, and use that as diaper cream. It's like MAGIC!!

Good luck with the rash!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ...

He's a very loud and explosive pooper so I rarely miss one ;-)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I have a friend who's LO was allergic to microfleece that most pockets are lined with. I would try eliminating cream first, then if that does work sticking with prefolds, then detergent.

Also, my LO gets wicked rash if left in a poopy diaper for more than about 5 minutes. Maybe you didn't catch a poop in time? Sometimes mine was a 'stealth pooper' and wouldn't be stinky. When my baby got REALLY bad rash, my doc recommended mixing original Maalox or Mylanta with just enough corn starch to make it a little pasty, and use that as diaper cream. It's like MAGIC!!

Good luck with the rash!!
My younger one has been sensitive from the start and will still get angry red rashes if he is in a dirty diaper for more than a few minutes. We still don't know exactly what else caused some of his breakouts. The worst one he had was when he was in disposables for a few weeks when he was in the hospital. He was clear for one week the sposies and vasoline the hospital used, and then we moved on to the worst rash yet.

I know that lanolin sensitivity was suggested earlier, but we actually found that pure lanolin was the only things that would heal a severe diaper rash (not desitin or any other brand). We obviously couldn't use pure lanolin on the cloth, but we used it with sposies to seal out moisture to help the rash heal up. Since then, we've used CJs and Grandma El's. I've also heard that coconut oil works well. I have some, but I haven't tried it yet.

As for detergents, I'm with another responder--we've tried 5 or 6 earth-friendly detergents and have ditched them and our FL after a year of diaper stress. Tide and a used TL are our friends
SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've searched the forums on Gain and the results are 50/50... anyone else wanna chime in on whether this might be OK for our cloth?

I really liked Dropps, too.. bummer if it turns out I can't use them...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: **Updated** Diagnosing diaper rash

Bump for update ..