Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pre-puberty and wondering abt mini-mama cloth!

I remember having that 'sampler box' sit at the top of my closet for ages before I knew what it was. Now that dd1 is getting older and is learning abt what the future holds for her, I would like to get a small mama cloth stash for her so that she has it 'ready' so-to-speak.
I am not a true mama cloth user so I am pretty clueless but I do know that they come in smaller sizes and cool prints. (The Budding Womanhood collection here: http://hyenacart.com/TheClothCanoe/ looks soooo cool!) Is there such a thing as too soon? How long do they last? Are some fabrics better than others? Do they 'keep' for a long time if they're not used? (Does pul get funny or anything?) What size stash should I consider? Just hoping that we're a still couple of years off but not holding my breath...

TIA!

Wondering if this is the right forum too... mods, pls move as you see fit- Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by kecmom; 04-09-2007 at 08:15 PM.
kecmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Pre-puberty and wondering abt mini-mama cloth!

BTW this is the correct forum
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I have been using mine really hard for about 3 yrs now. I absolutely love them. I have had alot of bleeding problems and have worn them pretty much non-stop and still with all that use they are holding up pretty well. I have one or two that the flannel is starting to wear through on. The suggestions I woudl make would be to buy flannel as it is soft and with wings. They stay in place better. Also flannel comes in the fun prints. Hemp fleece is more absorbant but you are talking about a young girl and her first periods. Hemp fleece probably is a bit much for that, and it takes forever to dry and tends to be a bit bulky. I would get several of the longer wider ones for overnight and then several of the smaller thinner ones for during the day, and maybe some panty liner style ones too. I think I have about 2 dozen or so. I don't know that you need that many, but when you use them every day, well you get the idea. Plus I have several that I didn't like and so those don't get used at all.

I think they could sit in a box in the closet for her for several years without any adverse effects. I don't think there is a too early for that kind of thing, especially if you want to get her used to the idea of cloth feminine products when she will be seeing lots of adds for the disposable kind. Also you might get her a small pretty wet bag to keep in her purse or bag when she is out and about. Something that isn't too conspicous.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your response!

I hadn't thought much abt the assortment until your post. I'd like her to have enough for one full cycle. I am guessing it will be lighter and shorter in the beginning but I honestly can't remember. 5 overnight pads? how many for days? what abt pantyliners?

How often do you have to change mama cloth? I u/s that it all depends on the flow but is it any more/less frequently than a pad or tampon? Do you feel the wetness any more or less than sposie pads? I can only assume it's a million times more comfy than sposie pads...

I figured that I would let her pick her own wetbags (bathroom and travel) when she was comfortable w/the idea of AF. Kind of give her a say and allow for at least a little control, YK?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think 5 overnight is a good starting point. She will need more if you aren't going to wash very frequently. I wash mine with the diapers so they get washed every other day. How many she needs will depend on how heavy she bleeds. When I am having a full on AF I go through a normal pad ever 2 hours or a heavy pad every 4 hours. That is about the same as when I used disposables, maybe a little less cause my periods are lighter since I switched. You do feel the wet in cloth, but it isn't the same. It doesn't have that gross sticky feeling that disposables get. Also this may be TMI but I used to get a rash using sposies that I don't get with cloth. If she doesn't bleed very heavy a full sized day pad could last 5+ hours for her. So she could go with around a dozen to get her through if you wash every few days or so. If she bleeds heavier you could get her heavier pads (these can be bulky and show under clothes) or just get more of them or wash more often. Panty liners probably 6 or so will do. For the start and finnish of her periods. I wear a panty liner most of the day when just spotting lightly.

I think for the first few months any way I remember my periods being much lighter. They got heavier as time went on and I can remember needing to get up to change them during the night after I had been having AF for about a year or so. You might start out with fewer and just wash more often when she first starts so she and you can get a feel for what is working for her and how heavily she bleeds ect. That will let you know what else she may need to have on hand. Maybe more overnight pads, or more daytime pads. Or maybe a particular fabric that works better for her. IT will also depend on her body type. Wether she is petite or what not.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome! Thanks so much for your input!
I still have plenty of time to decide and I *think it would be nice for her to be able to pick some of the cool prints for them when she's ready too. (Who knows? She might not even care and here I am obsessing over it... )
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 11 and is approaching this time but is in soccer so that could hold her back from getting hers for a little longer than normal.

I should deffinately offer this up to her as an option. I don't use mama cloth but would like to offer it to her if she is up for it. She may like this more than sposie stuff because it can be so stylish!

The other benefit is that I can make her stash for her (though they won't be pretty since I've never made mama cloth before)! LOL

Thank you for the post Kari and for the reply Shannon!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I liked cloth so much better than disposable options. I couldn't feel the wetness nearly as much. All I have is flannel ones. I loved them. I don't have AF anymore, so that's why the past tense.