Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
8 month old refusing bottle!?

DD is almost 8 1/2 months old and these last two days she has not been finishing her bottles (only drinking 3 oz or so, maybe a little bit more) and today she is just outright refusing to drink! She's been eating like a champ but I am no wear near ready (nor do I feel like she is ready) to not give her formula anymore. I know she needs it! She is still toothless so I'm hoping maybe it's teething?? I can't feel anything on her gums though, even though she doesn't like me touching them now.

I had to give her a bottle WHILE she was sleeping today. It was the only way! She drank it though.... so I kinda feel like I outsmarted her..... There's no way I can keep that up though... does this warrant a doctors visit?

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: 8 month old refusing bottle!?

She may be teething. She may be getting sick. My DD1 refused to eat as the first signs of both of those things. Also, some days she just didn't want to eat. She would go as much as a week with what I considered to be barely enough to live on, then pick back up again for no reason!!

Another option is to try a sippy cup, and see if the novelty of it will get her drink.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Track her intake. If its consistently low for more than 7 days you might call a doc. I always got thrown off when my DD1 was coming off a growth spurt, too, cuz it seemed like she went from eating a ton to eating nothing.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She had 17 or 18 ounces today... an all time low... we'll see how she does tomorrow.

Thanks mamas!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

I just went through this w/ my 8 month old. She was cutting her top two teeth plus had a cold that turned into an ear infection + sinus infection. If your DD isn't sick and hasn't recently been sick, I'd suspect she's possibly teething. Plus she's at the age where she's more active and has better things to do than sit down for a bottle.
My doctor told me that the bare minimum formula intake is 16oz at this age and that I can get that into her by adding it to her cereal, purees, etc.
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It also JUST occurred to me, both my DDs went through bottle refusing stages at another time. The culprit: too slow of a nipple. Upped to a faster flow, no more issues.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Still no teeth here, but still acts like she's teething! She's only doing about 18 oz tops on formula. We changed to a variable flow nipple on her bottle and I think it helped a bit, but still not the same. I'm stumped. Might take her to the doc this week
Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If she's eating alot, maybe give bottle before food? And, maybe call the nurse at your dr's office just to see if they have any suggestions before setting up an appt.
DS actually likes to drink from a straw when we let him and LOVES a cup.... refuses sippy cups, though. I've actually had the opposite issue, lately. DS isn't interested in eating unless we're eating. He wants food from our plates that he can hold and feed himself but doesn't eat much of it... mostly just to impress us. He's quite satisfied with his bottles.... 40oz a day.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Sarahhas4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 7 month old has been doing the same thing. I think he may be teething, but I'm not sure. =/ Good luck!
Sarahhas4 is offline   Reply With Quote