Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing a newborn

My nipples HURT! Baby has a perfect latch (according to midwife and LC) but my nipples still hurt. They look kind of scabby and feel tough. Is this normal pain from getting used to nursing a new baby or what? I have read "nursing is never supposed to hurt" and I have read "it's normal for nursing to be painful for the first few weeks." So which is it? I am trying to let them air out as much as possible and using motherlove nipple cream (im allergic to lanolin) but they still hurt so bad I want to cry when he first latches on.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

The exact same thing happened to me. There were times I would cry when she ate because my nipples were so sore , although her latch was perfect. They also peeled. I don't know if this is "normal" but I can assure you it will pass-- if she's latching properly of course. I think the worst of it was over around 2 weeks. By 3 weeks, it was completely better. My nipples just had to get used to it.

Good luck mama! You're doing the very best thing for your sweet baby!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing a newborn

I hurt bad until 3-4 weeks and then it got better. I used to scab when I was engorged (if you are try icing in between feedings). DD also had bad nipple confusion with a binky which made me scab (she is not aloud to have a binky anymore!!). I personally think it's normal. If you can push through and make it past the first 2-6 weeks, you'll be good You can do it!!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
lolis
Registered Users

My Mood:

It will pass. Your nipples will toughen up. I was in the same exact position you were, and now DD and I are old pros! I was constantly asking "So like no pain AT ALL?" because I do feel something...and yeah my nipples are scabbing and bleeding and there's this red bubble like thing on my nipple????

I promise you it will go away.
lolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS is two months old and I still slather on the lanolin several times a day or my nipples dry out and feel tough and hurt. He has a wonderful latch, but the LC said I just have sensitive skin. So Lanolin them up!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also was sore when I began BF for the first time. And there was pain at times when she was feeding although she had a good latch. It did go away. Now at 5mo, DD is EBF & it's a breeze. Hang in there, mama! It will get better! The first few weeks are the hardest!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Hurts for about 2 weeks then your nips get toughened up. Let down can also feel like a "burning or stinging" sensation too right at the start. (I just learned that!)

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Merilwen
Registered Users

When I first started it hurt too bad to continue, I got a pump and thought I would just have to pump the milk for ds. However, when I pumped I felt what I had done wrong. Without the crying squirming infant, it is easier to find the way to latch (plus you can see through it to see where your nipple is) and once you know how it is supposed to feel, it is easier to get the latch to work with the infant. After that I had a little soreness, but no pain.

So that is my advice, if you can get your hands on a pump and use that to get a feel of how it is supposed to feel...
Merilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
mrsmchugh
Registered Users
seller

Mine pain finally went away after about 1 month. I rarely had pain on the left breast, but always on the right and knew he was latching properly. I feared I would always have pain on that side...but it went away. No pain any more! Best wishes!
mrsmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
mrsmchugh
Registered Users
seller

*my* pain
mrsmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote