Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Spinoff of goat milk thread

I don't know if I'm posting in the right section, can a mod please move it to where it belongs if I'm wrong? Thanks.

That thread got me thinking... Here's why.
I am exclusively breast feeding my 8 month old and adding donated breast milk with an SNS each feeding due to Hypoplasia/IGT. My friend who is donating the milk is stopping to nurse her 2 year old and I can't find another donor. I am planning to ebf till 1 year.
I was seriously considering goat milk or homemade goat formula. But I've seen some serious contradictions on that thread and I'm all confused.

Does goat milk really not gave enough protein? Why do people say cows milk is easier to digest? Etc etc to all the comments there... Where can i find real facts? How so i know who to believe and who is right?
Please let's keep this civil. No bashing please, just bring me proof please.
TIA

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Oops o meant to say controversy not contradiction..
Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spinoff of goat milk thread

I'd have personally no issues with giving goats milk or a goat milk formula to a baby that age.. If you were counting on the donated milk to provide most of the actual nutrutional source I'd probably look into a goat mil;k formula over just plain goats milk.. However I'd also consider how much solids you LO might be getting and I've honestly not done in depth research into plain goats VS formula version.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the LITTLE research on this that I've done seems to point in favor of goat's milk. especially at the age of an 8 month old who is PROBABLY consuming three meals a day on top of their milk consumption.

I read an article a while ago that stated that 'back in the day' if there was no wet nurse around, goats milk was used often for infants without any issues. Not sure of the validity of this, but you never know.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I'm not starting solids before she's one year old. Would you know where I can find more info? Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just ran across this journal article... haven't read it, but it seems to talk about the negatives of goat's milk for infants.

I'm sure with some more searching you can find information for positives and make an educated decision on what you feel is best. Always good to speak to a doctor about it too.

I keep seeing lots of things for a goat's milk formula... I personally would probably go this route if my DD wasn't eating solids.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
clothdiaperingmommatomany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed22 View Post

I read an article a while ago that stated that 'back in the day' if there was no wet nurse around, goats milk was used often for infants without any issues. Not sure of the validity of this, but you never know.
Its true. We have dairy goats. and I can not quote frome every book I have read before and since we have gotten them, but your right. Also the goats milk is digested easier thats why alot of people who can not drink cows milk can still drink goats milk. Its all about how its broken down even before its put into the refrigerator. I know several people who use raw goats milk versus formula. I do agree though that if you need to supplement alot you may think about a goat formula-you can make them too. Otherwise your good with raw milk.
clothdiaperingmommatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
angelacez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd agree with raw goat milk over cow anyday. And over formula too honestly. Alot of babies that I've watched have all had some sort of issue with formula recently(my sister's baby included). Most have been switched to "fussy" formulas. And two of my three kids have had cow milk and soy issues which seem to becoming more and more common. I'm honestly thinking when we move, to get a goat for milk so I don't have to make rice milk every day and everyone drinking it raw!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies.
Can someone explain to me what the danger is in raw milk? I saw a few mentions of infectious bacteria. A) is it really true. B) does it make sense to buy raw milk and send a sample to a lab each time?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Slightly off topic but why no solids until a year?

You will find a mixed review on raw milk. Some claim it's the best some will say it's dangerous.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote