Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #11
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Arsenic in Apple Juice!!! I am not kidding!

Hmm, there's arsenic in apple seeds too (orso I've ben told). Unfortunately if you reserach contaminated foods there's yucky stuff in everything these days (lead in rice, I mean really?).

The best thing you can do is to eat whole foods and buy them as locally as possible, preferably organic but even more importantly know your farmer. CSAs are great for this.

You might also want to watch foks over knives, it's a great documentary about food, available on netflix

Advertisement

ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
angelika13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are actually two forms of arsenic. Organic arsenic and inorganic arsenic. Organic arsenic exists in soil, and in most foods. It is really high in seafood. This kind of arsenic is non toxic to humans as we can not metabolize it and we pee it out. Inorganic arsenic is toxic becuase it invades our cells and rapidly causes cell death.

I find it hard to believe that the apple juice has inorganic arsenic, and I feel like Dr Oz is trying to create panic over a substance that is inert. Prop 65, the California law requiring labeling of unsafe levels of chemicals in food, does not have any limit for organic arsenic. Prop 65 is the highest standard we have in this country, they have to label very minute amounts of things like lead. If organic arsenic was a problem, I feel like Prop 65 would say so.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Emmers22185
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
There are actually two forms of arsenic. Organic arsenic and inorganic arsenic. Organic arsenic exists in soil, and in most foods. It is really high in seafood. This kind of arsenic is non toxic to humans as we can not metabolize it and we pee it out. Inorganic arsenic is toxic becuase it invades our cells and rapidly causes cell death.

I find it hard to believe that the apple juice has inorganic arsenic, and I feel like Dr Oz is trying to create panic over a substance that is inert. Prop 65, the California law requiring labeling of unsafe levels of chemicals in food, does not have any limit for organic arsenic. Prop 65 is the highest standard we have in this country, they have to label very minute amounts of things like lead. If organic arsenic was a problem, I feel like Prop 65 would say so.
This is what I understand it to be too. There is organic arsenic in apples and that is ok for us, it is the inorganic stuff (which from what I understand is not in the apple juice) that is harmful. I totally agree with the PP and will continue to give my girls apple juice. It seems to me (and I actually enjoy Dr. Oz and respect his opinion/research) that the difference in kinds of arsenic was not clearly defined and his research is not thorough or clear enough.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post

Exactly!!!! I just moved away from CA and kinda miss all the signs and labels telling me everything and everywhere has been known to cause cancer in the state of CA
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Huh, I didn't know there were 2 different kinds of arsenic. Thanks for sharing that info!
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl
I blame it on the government's extremely lax laws about our food supply, but thats a whole other issue.
Yup, the people that complain about big government just don't get it. You need a third party governing body to protect!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

inorganic arsenic is found in pesticides (not in the US, but how many apples are imported nowadays!?!). Since apples are almost #1 on the pesticide residue list, well... you get my drift

the funniest thing about this all, the 'experts' on TV were saying 'there's more in cigarettes and fish than there is apple juice'

1. people do not (hopefully) let their 2 year old smoke and feed them fish 4 times a day 2. how about NONE (inorganic, I realize there is 2 diff. kinds)? since when is there a safe level of ANY poison? 'oh sure honey, just have a little sip of that cyanide, bleach, lighter fluid.. though b/c too much will hurt you'? sheesh.

Last edited by zandj; 09-18-2011 at 07:36 AM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:

http://unreasonablefaith.com/2011/09...d-apple-juice/
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
andrea909
Registered Users
seller

fwiw. costco's kirkland apple juice is made from apples grown in the u.s. I know dr. oz said to avoid apples grown in china and argentina.
andrea909 is offline   Reply With Quote