Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

Starting a stash Q and diaper pail Q?

Hi!
I am new here and somewhat new to cloth diapering. I am trying to start a stash that will fit most/many babies between newborn and potty training. (Big order I know!) I also want to do it on the cheap (we are getting ready to be foster parents and will probably not be reimbursed for this). So far I have:

4 flip covers
15+ Dappis in different sizes
20 premium unbleached prefolds
56 infant unbleached prefolds
48 newborn unbleached prefolds

I am thinking about getting a few OS pocket diapers (cheap ones like Coolababy, Babyland, U Pick, Huggabuns, or seconds like Fuzzibunz). I also want to get some different covers... I think I need some specifically for newborns (no idea what brand, suggestions on brand or amount?). I also want to try Thirsties Duos. I think I am going to get some econobums as well. I don't think I want to do wool or fleece covers really.

And diaper pails... when my mom used cloth on my sibs (in the early 90s) I don't remember us ever having a liner. She just put them in a pail with some bleach and that was that (I guess that would be called a "wet pail" now but I don't think it had a special name then). I know I can't use bleach now but any reason why couldn't I just do the same thing and go sans pail liner and just rinse the pail with some bleach and a hose when I dump it to do the laundry?

TIA for the advice!

~E

Advertisement

yarrowwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Starting a stash Q and diaper pail Q?

I think you are off to a good start with what you listed. Are you going to get a few Snappis as well? The nice thing with the newborn/infant prefolds is that they make great pocket inserts as well. I would definitely get some pockets, in case you end up with a baby that is sensitive and needs stay dry. Or else get some fleece to cut up for liners and have those on hand. You might want to color code the prefolds just so they're easier to sort/grab straight from the laundry basket...if you don't want to spend the $ on GMDs with the colored stitching you could always just dye them yourself, all the newborn ones green, all the infants yellow, etc.
I don't have experience with CDing a newborn yet (talk to me in a month ) but I can tell you about my stash. I have a size 1 Thirsties duo wrap and it snaps down really small, on the smallest setting it looks the same as my XS Thirsties cover, both are supposed to fit as small as a 6 lb baby. I also have a few Rumparooz nb covers that seem even smaller, they're supposed to fit down to 5 lbs I think. I have a lot of foster care experience and sometimes you are going to get a really tiny baby. Usually they won't release them from the hospital until they weigh at least 5 lbs but I remember once we did bring home a baby girl that was 4 1/2 lbs.
Pail liners are not an absolute necessity but are really, really nice to have. I would get two to rotate because you can just empty it into the washer then throw the dirty liner in with the diapers. My mom did foster care for 7 or 8 years (from the time I was 10 until almost 18), so I know the craziness that can ensue when you get those middle of the night calls, have tons of doctors appointments, etc...2 pail liners is definitely worth the splurge if it makes your life a little bit easier!
You are doing a great thing! Good luck with this journey!
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the covers, I hated the Duo 1's on DS. He was 7lbs 10oz at birth and they were just huge and bulky. However, I liked the XS Thirsties covers. The NB Bummis Super Whisper Wraps were good, too. Anything OS or even two size, like the Duos were just huge on a newbie, IMO.
As for the pail, I don't do a wet pail. Too dangerous in terms of drowning and they stink. I use a dry pail and I have two liners I got for cheap on FSOT. I wash the liner every time I wash diapers and just rotate them. With DD, I didn't always have a liner and just threw them in the pail and that worked fine. I use a 13 gallon flip top garbage pail.
BTW, I also use bleach. On everything. Every now and then, it's fine.

ETA: For cheap OS pockets, I love my Sunbaby diapers. They are soft and flexible, so they move better with baby. My newborn has a short rise and these work so well. I also have Bum Genius OS and Blueberry OS. Both are pretty bulky on a nb, but the BG did not fit AT ALL until about 10lbs. The Blueberry OS did fit at around 8-9lbs, but were pretty bulky. Another cheap diaper that looks good is Alva Baby. I have five coming, but they are cheap and seem similar to Sunbaby.

Last edited by jackyl08; 09-16-2011 at 10:58 AM.
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Pick up a couple PUL pail liners, and put them in a 13 gallon plastic garbage can from Walmart. Super easy and simple! Don't do a wet pail, dry is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

Thanks BoyCrazy!

Yes, I have 2 snappis and I am going to get more (I have not used them before but they seem sooooo much better than pins!). I think I will get the some of the toddler size too, just in case.

I am actually thinking about just getting some cloth (from a thrift store) and just embellishing the infant sized ones (I think I'll be able to tell the difference between the newborn and the premiums pretty easily, BIG size different).

That's great about the Duos sz 1! We don't really have any stores here that sell cloth diapers and it is very hard for me to tell how big or small they snap by looking on the internet.

Wow, 4.5lbs is soooooo tiny! I know I don't have anything that would fit a baby that tiny! Maybe it'd be worth it to get some preemie covers?

Thanks so much for the advice!

~E
Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

looks good! For the one size, you might want to try kawaiis, as they are cheaper than fb. But the fb one sizes do go a long way too.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

To jackyl08:

The diaper pail will be in the bathroom (which will be off limits to LOs for obvious reasons). I don't remember the ones we had when my sibs were little smelling.... doesn't, er, stuff stain more if it's not soaked?

How many NB/XS-type covers would you recommend then? I really haven't done cloth on a NB and unfortunately I am not really in contact with my mother any more to ask her questions like this. (Although she just used the Dappi-type covers, and I think we had like 4000, lol!)

Thanks!

~E
Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

To mariamommy: Wow, dry seems to be the in-thing now! If you don't get something locking (or keep it in an off-limits room) don't you worry about the baby getting into it?

To Kissed by the Moon: I am thinking about Kawaii too, also the Kawaii nighttime ones (those have pretty good reviews and I think pockets might be better for nighttime). I found Fuzzibuns seconds for $11.95 so not that bad really.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrowwind View Post
To jackyl08:

The diaper pail will be in the bathroom (which will be off limits to LOs for obvious reasons). I don't remember the ones we had when my sibs were little smelling.... doesn't, er, stuff stain more if it's not soaked?

How many NB/XS-type covers would you recommend then? I really haven't done cloth on a NB and unfortunately I am not really in contact with my mother any more to ask her questions like this. (Although she just used the Dappi-type covers, and I think we had like 4000, lol!)

Thanks!

~E
None of my diapers have stains and I have only ever used a dry pail. Not even the NB breastfed poo has stained my diapers. DD was formula fed and no stains from that either. I use Tide detergent dry in the dryer, with occasional line drying/sunning to freshen them up.

For NB/XS covers, I think you can do 3-4 covers per dozen diapers, but I had enough covers to change every time. Some people only change the cover when poo gets on it, so you would need less covers. I have heard the Kawaii covers are good, too and cheap.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

To jackyl08

That'd be... 12ish covers. That seems like a lot. But I'd rather have extra than not enough! Also, I think mine are going to be "sunned" most of the time. I live in NM and it's basically sunny here 100% of the time, so no reason to run the dryer if I don't have to.

I doubt any of the LOs I will foster will be breast fed (for obvious reasons, hehe). Good to know about the formula tho!

Thanks!
~E