Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:
Anyone wet pail their night diapers?

I am having no luck with my night diapers I started a thread about this awhile ago........even new diapers were smelling......and I stuff my GAD stuffable fitteds and drybees fleece with flats!...not something that should be hard to clean. I did bleach/strip my night diapers and that helped, but only for a short time. I don't have any issues during the day with ammonia. I'm wondering about wet pailing night diapers.......as I posted, I use Drybees fleece pockets or GAD stuffable fitteds, but stuffed with flats and then wool or fleece overtop. I do rinse them with my sprayer in the morning but that isn't helping. I'm wondering about soaking them......but probably not in bleach.....maybe oxy or baking soda or something. Anyone done something simillar?

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
jesslfar
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone wet pail their night diapers?

Hmm, we did have that problem with some of ours as well. Maybe someone else has a better solution, the best we ever came up with was every night before bed I would take that days diapers (and the previous night's) which had already been shaken so mostly just wet and I would add the detergent and soak in the washer overnight, then wash normally over night. We just used our normal soap (Charlies, biokleen or whatever I was using for dipes at that moment) we had the most success with this. I did try a wet pail in summer but I never got the hang of it.
jesslfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

Do they smell in the am? Is it a bad ammonia smell or just a little stinky? I run a rinse and spin cycle on every nighttime diaper in the am and that helps immensely with stinkies on a diaper that has been worn for 12 hours or so. HTH!
EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Unfortunately they stink in the am........strong ammonia, like I had to wash her sleep sack and jammies ammonia so I know I need to do a re-strip and bleach but I'm just wondering about preventing this from happening again.......I did try rinsing in the am. I'm also thinking of maybe going back to Charlie's (using Natureclean right now)........I didn't have this issue when we used Charlies. I have an HE top load so I'm starting to add some water in there as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had some ammonia issues when we were CDing ON (I eventually gave up ). Anyway, boiling my inserts helped a ton. But yes, wetpailing the ON inserts helped immensely. I just had a little cleaning pail that I dumped the inserts into & soaked them w/ HOT water & I used a little bit of RnG (I had it & we didn't like it for laundry, so it was just hanging out) & that did the trick nicely. I'm no chemist, but I gather that you want the hot water to get in there & dissolve the ammonia crystals, so the soak helps.

FWIW, I also realized that I had accidentally picked up non-HE detergent & was using it in my FLer, so that was contributing to the problem.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Try soaking night diapers every morning in a sinkful of HOT water w/ a dab of Dawn.. Rinse and then toss in the pail until wash day. I fill my foaming soap dispensers in the bathrooms with Dawn anyway (cause I'm cheap ) and it works great. I don't really have to do that anymore though since I started using a stronger detergent and a tbsp of bleach in every load. I do sometimes do that with an exceptionally stinky toddler poop diaper.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

We didn't wet pail them but every morning I turned on the water in the bath tub and rinsed them out thoroughly and then rung them out. That made our ammonia problem stop right away.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ughhhhhh this is why I use sposies @ night.... I am scared of this happening
kalibratx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice ladies........I'm going to have to give all the night diapers a bleaching and then see if soaking helps keep stinkies at bay.