Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
need quick advice please....re: frosting

I'm making the frosting for a b-day cake and it has a grainy consistency. What did I do wrong and is there anyway to fix it? I used 1 cup butter, 8 cups confectioner's sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla, and about 3/4 milk. I originally used 1/2 cup, but it was still too thick.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
AndeeL
Registered Users

Hmm...the butter wasn't melted was it? It shouldn't be grainy with powdered sugar.
AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: need quick advice please....re: frosting

Can you beat it longer? I find to make good whipped frosting, I have to let it beat for a long time.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No, it wasn't melted. It was softened but firm. I only had it out of the fridge for 30 min or so.

I can try beating it longer. I had to take Dd1 to soccer practice so I put it in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
angelika13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need quick advice please....re: frosting

It is from the fridge. Just beat it again, for a while. I once put a caramel frosting in the refrigerator and then tried to whip it before the party, and it took 30 minutes for it to finally come together again. I had left it out to come to room temp for several hours, but it wasn't enough. Finally it did come back together, and it was delicious.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13
It is from the fridge. Just beat it again, for a while. I once put a caramel frosting in the refrigerator and then tried to whip it before the party, and it took 30 minutes for it to finally come together again. I had left it out to come to room temp for several hours, but it wasn't enough. Finally it did come back together, and it was delicious.
No, it was grainy before I put it in the fridge. It was like that after I mixed it. Do you think I didn't mix it long enough initially? I took it out of the fridge a little bit ago and it is very thick. I didn't taste it yet to see if it tastes grainy or gritty.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think it's probably the amount of sugar. I use 4 cups powdered sugar, 2 tbs whipping cream, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 cup butter. It works pretty well. Add more milk or cream and see if that helps.