Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Need help with prepping new stash

I know the general recommendations for stripping diapers and prepping new ones (depending on fabric content, etc) but I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of work I think I have to do to get my stash into shape for my newborn who will be here at the end of October. So I'm hoping I can get some advice on how best to tackle washing/prepping everything I have been gathering... it's a lot!

I have a mix of used stuff and new, for the new I know I can refer to the brand prepping recommendations for most and plan to just follow that the best I can. But for the used... help! here is roughly what I have:

Used Covers:
PUL (mix of brands)
fleece (unsure of brand and haven't arrived yet)
wool (also not here yet, seem to be WAHM handknits)
cotton (Nikky's)

Used Prefolds:
GMD cotton (don't think these were organic)
Bamboo flats and prefolds from diff makers (Zabibaby, OweWhoaWhen, Sbish, PB&E)
Thirsties Duo hemp prefolds
Hemp fleece prefolds (unknown brand)

Used AIOs:
Lil Joey's
Grovia newborn
BGEs (organic cotton)
BG XS

Used Pockets:
Fuzzi Bunz
BG 4.0

Used fitteds:
Kissaluv 0s, unbleached cotton
Mutts
Goodmamas
Sbish organic bamboo fleece
Sbish hemp
Elbees cotton
other random organic cotton and hemp fitteds

Things I have on hand for washing:
FL HE machine and dryer
Large pot for boiling on stove if need be
Clothesline for drying outside/sunning
Tide original powder
Tide free & gentle liquid
Country Save detergent
RnG detergent
Ecover fabric softener
White vinegar
bleach
Oxi Clean
blue Dawn
RLR is on the way to me, same with lanolin for lanolizing

I have gathered a ton of CD washing info, but this is my first time getting ready to wash anything (first time mom!) and I'm a little overwhelmed with where the heck to start and how to get these used items clean and ready to go (with ideally no leftover detergent build up from prior owners) without it taking 5000 years. So any help on the easiest/best way to do this would help me a lot! thank you everyone!

Advertisement

Last edited by trellisaze; 09-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
trellisaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Congrats, mama! It looks like you have a great stash and you've really done your research on laundry! You will probably get many different opinions on what to do, but here's mine...
I would probably just wash everything on hot with whatever detergent you are going to use (Tide?), dry them, and call it good. Unless you are specifically concerned about certain items having build up, then I'd probably go ahead and strip those things. The natural fibers you have will likely not need stripping, if you want to avoid stripping everything. You could even just do a hot wash with no detergent first to see if there are any leftover suds or anything, and then wash with detergent to get them clean.

As far as the new stuff you're getting, anything synthetic (pockets, fleece, PUL covers, etc.) only needs to be washed once to make sure it's clean. It's the natural fibers (cotton, hemp, bamboo) that need actual "prepping" to remove the natural oils, and fluff them up to make them absorbent. HTH!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help with prepping new stash

Thanks mama! this helps a lot! I was worried I would have to strip everything that was used to be safe, but sounds like that might be overkill after all. It's hard to tell what could be lurking inside, but everything is in great condition from the looks of them.

I do have a mix of fibers and types of diapers in the new stuff, definitely will make sure to prep the bamboo/hemp/cotton! Guess I better get washing!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Octmom2009
Registered Users
seller

For anything used I first run a hot wash with no soap in it to see if they have any build up. I always do that first and sometimes its amazing how many bubbles you get! Once any build up is taken care of I then do my regular wash routine. Long hot wash with Tide and I add 1/2c of bleach (normally I use no more then 1/4c) as well and vinegar in the rinse cycle. Then follow with another short hot wash and rinse with nothing added. Whatever can go in the dryer goes in for approx 60 mins. and everything else gets hung on the drying rack.
Octmom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for chiming in Octmom, sounds like running a hot water wash to check for suds first is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octmom2009
For anything used I first run a hot wash with no soap in it to see if they have any build up. I always do that first and sometimes its amazing how many bubbles you get! Once any build up is taken care of I then do my regular wash routine. Long hot wash with Tide and I add 1/2c of bleach (normally I use no more then 1/4c) as well and vinegar in the rinse cycle. Then follow with another short hot wash and rinse with nothing added. Whatever can go in the dryer goes in for approx 60 mins. and everything else gets hung on the drying rack.
Great advice. I agree 100%