Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No longer nursing.....

had to wean for medical reasons when ds was 6 months and 21lbs.
I may be in the wrong forum but don't know where to post this question.

I haven't nursed in over 3 months now and STILL haven't had my monthly cycle return. Is this normal and how long should I wait before being concerned? I'd like to talk hubby into giving it a "go" again this winter but how long will it be before it's even possible?

I guess I should've mentioned: ds is my 1st and only baby, for now so everything is new to me.

Advertisement

Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't know mama, I would probably buy a pregnancy test just to be on the safe side. I'm still ebf & my lo is 71/2 months & I haven't gotten it yet. I was talking to a friend today though whose baby is eating solids so she's nursing a little less & she got it. I would think by 3 months you should get it- especially not nursing/pumping @ all. Sorry i'm not much help!!
katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: No longer nursing.....

bump?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure, you might want to try the trying to conceive forum.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
JocelynR
Registered Users

This is something that is going to be different for every mom. If you are concerned (which 3 months post breastfeeding could be concern for), you should make an appointment with your OB/GYN. It never hurts to get checked out.
JocelynR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma527 View Post
I'm not sure, you might want to try the trying to conceive forum.
But I'm not TTC, currently. I'm on the pill, actually. We're entertaining the thought of another lo but haven't decided on "when" we want me to stop taking bc. I'm mainly just looking for experienced nursing mamas to tell me how long on average does it take for your cycle to return once you stop bf'ing.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynR View Post
This is something that is going to be different for every mom. If you are concerned (which 3 months post breastfeeding could be concern for), you should make an appointment with your OB/GYN. It never hurts to get checked out.
Thanks. I've spoken to my primary dr and my ob/gyn. If it hasn't returned by the end of Sept, I'm supposed to go in and get checked out. I just don't want to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, you know? I'm not overly anxious for THAT to happen again but I am wondering how long it usually takes for things to return to normal in that dept.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

After my ODS weaned at 14 months, I didnt get a pp AF for 2 months. After going to my OB appt. (where they were going to "jump-start" my period with a hormone shot), I got a BFP! . I'm thinking either your system might need help returning to normal, or you might be baking a sibling.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
After my ODS weaned at 14 months, I didnt get a pp AF for 2 months. After going to my OB appt. (where they were going to "jump-start" my period with a hormone shot), I got a BFP! . I'm thinking either your system might need help returning to normal, or you might be baking a sibling.

Maybe I DO need a jump-start but everything FEELS normal. I certainly don't feel that super dry menopausal feeling I had when I was nursing.

Just lacking the once a month agony. If I am already "baking a sibling," DH and I will both fall through the floor in surprise. Surely not yet. It took soooo long to get preg w/ ds and I wasn't on any bc. Now, I'm on bc and not attempting anything, yet so I surely can't be.... CAN'T BE.... Can I?

Oh, man! I'm calling my ob/gyn on Monday. This'll drive me nuts til I know what's going on with my body.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got AF back while ODD was still nursing - even before she was sleeping through the night.
With YDD I got the Mirena put in at 10 weeks PP and have some spotting now and again but have not had an AF yet (we are still nursing too). I know that some people don't get it with the Mirena though, so I'm thinking I may just not get it until I get the Mirena pulled out.

Not that that really helps you, but that's my story.
If it took you a long time to conceive your first, then maybe you do have something fishy going on. With my own history, I know that if I hadn't gotten AF 3 months after weaning I would probably need a "jump start" as a PP said.