Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fulltime??!!!

OK, I'm freaking out a little bit right now. I've been working part-time since March. Now granted I've been working one hour less then the rest of the office. But they told me full time wasn't an option and that my hours would go down. At first they were supposed to go down when I finished my training. Then they told me they would go down at the end of September.

So I've been kind of looking forward to having a day or two off to get things done around the house. Things have been really overwhelming lately. My in-laws have been having a lot of drama that affects us and then the kids are back in school and this year has been rough so far for my son. So I've kind of been hanging in there until the end of the month.

Then today I got a memo saying I could go full time starting October 1st. What??? They told me that would never happen when I asked about it. It does kind of stink working one hour less then everyone else and not getting paid for holidays and getting no benefits.

So now I'm conflicted. On one hand I'm excited to get benefits (I have no insurance) and paid vacation, holidays, and sick days. But I was really looking forward having time to you know actually clean the house!! lol By the time I get home and fix dinner and help the kids with homework, I barely have time to run the dishwasher and throw a load of laundry in, let alone keep the house up.

And of course I have no details of the benefits and I have to pretty much decide by Monday. I'm sure I'll take it, but I'll need to find a way to get caught up and home. Having the DH step up hasn't happened so far. Don't get me wrong, he gets the kids on the bus in the mornings for me and takes Wednesdays off since that's my late night at work, but as for actually cleaning . . . not happening.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fulltime??!!!

Sorry to ramble, but DH is working until late and I have nobody to talk to about this!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Olivias Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel your pain, I work 3-4 days/week and DH has taken the last month or so (laid-off) to fix up our bathroom, etc, and has done NO cleaning whatsoever. He still lays on the couch and does whatever he wants while I bust my butt after work getting things done

YARN DESTASH here
Olivias Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Oh man. You need to lay down the law on your DH. I know, I know, easier to say than do. Still, it's not fair for both parents to be working, and only one parent cleaning.

Can you work out a better split with your DH? Around here, I cook and he does dishes. We both pick up. He does laundry. I do shopping. Some things break down along the lines of who likes it least. I hate doing bathrooms, so DH does that. He hates picking up the farm share, so I do that.

My friends - who are grown-ups living communally - made a chore chart, because they agreed that despite being an average age of 40, they weren't getting chores done without it. It's been a big shift, and their house is 50% cleaner.

Congratulations on going full time. Benefits are awesome!
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

With full time work will you be making a lot more than the decreased hours you were anticipating? If so, I vote for hiring a cleaning person to come every other week. Sure it's a luxury but it's one that is probably saving my marriage and my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
amgermain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's exhausting and you can never get it all done. We've finally gotten it figured out where I have one morning a week when DH drives the girls to daycare. That gives me an hour and a half before I HAVE to leave the house and get to my office. I can get the bathroom cleaned, kitchen cleaned up, and floors done in that time which are the things that make me batty if they aren't done. Everything else gets done when I can get to it at night or on the weekends, and if it doesn't, I'm not so spazzy about it. Good luck!

Mommy to Addi (8/13/08) and Abby (11/17/10)
amgermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
With full time work will you be making a lot more than the decreased hours you were anticipating? If so, I vote for hiring a cleaning person to come every other week. Sure it's a luxury but it's one that is probably saving my marriage and my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I really wont make any more. I've only been working one hour less then the rest of the office. The upside will be that I'll have health insurance, paid holidays, sick days and paid vacation. Right now if I take time off I don't get paid. And when the office was closed for the fourth of July and Easter Monday, everyone else got paid but me.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
beaniesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
I really wont make any more. I've only been working one hour less then the rest of the office. The upside will be that I'll have health insurance, paid holidays, sick days and paid vacation. Right now if I take time off I don't get paid. And when the office was closed for the fourth of July and Easter Monday, everyone else got paid but me.
If it is only 1 hour more a week - seems worth it to take it to me! My DH tries, but I have to ask him to clean. He can't master watching kids and doing other things for some reason...He says - 'I play and you get things done." Hmmm...not sure how to take that one still....He WILL do things though if I specifically ask. Maybe that would work for you? NO you shouldn't have to ask, but it might save some arguments and de-stress you a bit.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniesmom View Post
If it is only 1 hour more a week - seems worth it to take it to me! My DH tries, but I have to ask him to clean. He can't master watching kids and doing other things for some reason...He says - 'I play and you get things done." Hmmm...not sure how to take that one still....He WILL do things though if I specifically ask. Maybe that would work for you? NO you shouldn't have to ask, but it might save some arguments and de-stress you a bit.
I have started to ask him to unload the dishwasher now and then. Here's his excuse for not ever doing it before "I never know if the dishes are clean or dirty". Um we have a portable that I tend to run before I leave for work. If it's attached to the sink and you have to unhook it to get a drink of water . . . the dishes are clean. DUH!!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias Momma View Post
I feel your pain, I work 3-4 days/week and DH has taken the last month or so (laid-off) to fix up our bathroom, etc, and has done NO cleaning whatsoever. He still lays on the couch and does whatever he wants while I bust my butt after work getting things done
My DH isn't that bad. But he'd rather tend the garden or putter int he yard then do anything in the house. And when I ask him to clean the house, he'll clean in the bedroom. Nice, but I'd rather have the kitchen or living room worked on. You know the places someone might actually see??