Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

I think I have to swtich MWs :(

Our first visit she was all confident and saying I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. She said she has to fight the insurance (medicaid) but that we'd get it. I'm not sure exactly what changed her tune, but at yesterday's visit, she was 100% sure they'd deny us. And the appeal process is long and they usually deny in the end anyway. I don't know why she didn't tell us the first visit. I've sat here for 5 weeks I could have been looking for someone else to explore our options, thinking everything was honky dory and I had not a care in the world about money because insurance would cover it. (She has our own birth center - she doesn't work in a hospital.)

She did point me in a good direction. So now I have to call Toledo Hospital MWs. I'm staying optimistic. DH was really, really bummed. Being back in a hospital terrifies me. I don't want an IV. I don't want to be strapped to a bed on monitors (VBAC), I wanted a water birth (they have showers, but no tub anymore), I just DIDN'T want to labor in a hospital and forced to push on my back.

On the bright side - I'd have nurses to wait on me. I'm sure DH wouldn't do a good job waiting on me after a birth center birth, which could have ended up making that a bad experience. I'll be IN the hospital incase anything bad does happen. Everyone I know will be pleased I'll be in a hospital. And we won't have to pay anything out of pocket.

We heard baby's heartbeat yesterday. Kept kicking or moving to get away from monitor. And it was hard to find because she says my placenta is RIGHT in front. So that might mean I don't feel movement as soon as others either. (But that made me slightly worried because I heard that its BAD if the placenta forms over the csection scar....)

I really hate the process of finding a care provider, .. blah... but trying to stay optimistic taht I'll like the hospital MWs. I really, really, really hope they are able to take on VBACs.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I think I have to swtich MWs :(

How frustrating...But it seems like you are trying to stay pretty positive about it! I have had both of my kids at a birth center attatched to a hospital and had a good experience both times.
Good luck finding a great new MW.
& DS (4/13/12)

MNclothdiaperin'Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
crunch!910
Registered Users

This isn't a birth center attached the the hospital, but just apart of the actual hospital. That is what scares me. You'll be in the ordinary large "birthing suite" just like I had with DS.. I can't imagine trying to get comfortable while in labor in one of those rooms.

Ft. Wayne, IN is actually closer, but it is illegal in Indiana for midwives to attend VBAC births. OBs must. I'll at least look into it and see if anyone says there are any really friendly VBAC friendly OBs.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hopefully you can find someone that you really like for a VBAC. That was my number one thing too. Hoping that we can both be successful with that.
& DS (4/13/12)

Old 09-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
chayla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Goodluck momma! Definately see what the MWs at the hospy have to say. My mw practices thru the hospital and they are wonderful!!!! Best birthing experience I have had last july!

I had to be induced because of low fluid but they have wireless monitors!! Best.thing.ever I was able to walk around, get in the bathtub too, just plain awesome! I did not have a water birth but labored in the tub until right up to delivery time. I was allowed to sit up in the bed.

Maybe the hospital near you will have some of these things. I had no idea about any of them until we were there for the induction. I so didn't want to be induced (I was with my first and it was horrible recovery) so I didn't think to ask about any of the monitoring.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
crunch!910
Registered Users

Well, I've been given the name of another doctor who has 3 midwives who work under him... so now that I know I've got two options, what do I do? Just pick one and go with them unless I find something I don't like? Or do I actually schedule an appointment with each? I really don't know how to "shop around" for docs. I didn't with DS, and I don't know if my insurance will pay for two different appointments that close together with two different practices???

I absolutely want to pick the most natural friendly group - who delivers at a hospital that will be more open to No epidural, no IV, no eye goop, and no constant monitoring.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Usually they do appointments every 4 weeks at this point. As dumb as it may sound, maybe schedule with one and then with the other 4 weeks later if you don't like the first. I would just be scared about making sure insurance covered everything if you schedule too close together. I did this with my DD and found someone that I really liked at the second appointment. It does feel like you have to wait forever, but at least you do an actual appointment with each and can really see how they are. Maybe someone else has a better idea?
& DS (4/13/12)

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

check out yelp.com and see if anyone posted reviews on them. I know my OBGYN group has tons of reviews on there.

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
chayla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They do 'meet and greets' for free at all offices here. Call, tell them you are looking around and you want to meet the mws. They should schedule like a 15 min appointment.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check around on your local ICAN online group and see what they have to say about those particular drs. I know your nervous about a hospital VBAC, but I had a wonderful one 18mo ago. When you show up at the end of transition, they're normally pretty impressed (at least around here) and they just kind-of let me do my thing, labored on my hands and knees, etc. As long as you get your provider to sign off on your birth plan (no continous monitoring, heplock only, etc. ) the nurses will follow through. Every now and then, a nurse would reach over and just place the monitor on my belly for a split second to get a reading, but that was it.

Hope you find a great provider that is willing to meet your needs/desires!