Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone planning to CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post
This is the first baby that I'll be CDing. what's the difference between pfs and flats?
PFs are a rectangle with several layers of very absorbent cotton (or hemp, etc) down the middle. Flats are simply a flat, single layer piece of cloth that comes in various sizes and shapes (someone mentioned that a Gerber receiving blanket can be used as a flat diaper). I have both PFs and a few flats, but I have always preferred my PFs. One really great thing about flats is that they dry fast, but you have to learn how to fold them - I compare it to origami with cloth Once DS started eating solids, I found it challenging to rinse the poo out of flats without getting it everywhere

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is my first kiddo that I will be using cloth for but so far my plan is to do a rental for the newborn stage. The one I was looking at has Kissaluv size 0 and then I will mix in some PFs as well. Both of my boys were over 11lbs and 15lbs at a month old so I don't want to invest in a newborn stash so the rental seems the best way to go.

After the newborn stage I will try a variety of styles and see what works for us
nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
susie190
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I forgot to mention I hate pockets and found prefolds frustrating as well. I prefer flats for sure. I love how vertical they are but I don't like sized diapers so that may be part of my frustration with prefolds as well. oh and I may decide to make a few newborn diapers but I'm not sure yet I deffently don't have the money to buy them.

Like easy cash why not give Jingit a try.
susie190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

So the packs of CDs at BRU, for example, are pfs?
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
susie190
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213
Probably. But they also sell g diapers. At least at mine they do.

Like easy cash why not give Jingit a try.
susie190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have lots of fitteds my mom made me for dd2 in the newbie stage and I plan to get some GMD yellows this time! I didn't last time and I really wished I had. Also some newborn Pf's until they outgrow them. Which my last baby was 8lbs 4oz so it was pretty fast.

For covers I am looking at Thirsties duo size1 and Thirsties size XS. I loved Thirsties on my newbie last time. I like how soft and flexible they are. Also I have some newborn wool covers my mom made me from last time too. Was thinking about newborn pro wraps as well.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Depends... Are you looking at the Gerber brand diapers? The package should say either Prefold or Flatfold.

If you're considering getting the Gerber ones, I would recommend that you look around online before you buy (Green Mountain, Little Lions, or FSOT for used PFs). I was given some Gerber prefolds and they became strictly burp cloths - they work, but my other prefolds were so much better quality!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #28
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are nb pfs worth it, or can I just start with sm? My kids were 7.4 and 8.8 at birth.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #29
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Are nb pfs worth it, or can I just start with sm? My kids were 7.4 and 8.8 at birth.
Im not sure. I remember we used the newborn ones for maybe a month before we moved into the infant pf's. But my babies are usually really slow gainers and I didn't really know how to use pf's the way I do now so I never tried an infant pf folded down with her, I just used the newborn ones. I do remember that they barely absorbed anything and how much better I liked the Infant Pfs.

My children so far have always been 8 lbs and a few oz.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I used the newborn pfs on DS for a very short time. He was 7lb 6oz, but grew quickly! The infant pfs were too big on him (like PP said, I might have been able to fold them differently, but I was new at it) and seemed to interfere with his belly button. I remember that I really liked the newborn bummis prorap classic covers until his cord fell off - they only go up to 10 lbs, so mine didn't get much use.