Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
watchmekerfuly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
breastflow bottles... instructions?

This may seem obvious, but how do YOU use them. Every time I try them (ds is a little over 2 weeks old) I always get milk stuck in between the nipples that just runs out. Tonight I've had it! I had just pumped when my son decides to wake up. So I go get my precious 3 oz of milk and put it in the bottle. I had everything put together right. As soon as I put it in my baby's mouth 1 oz spills all over my desperate baby!!! If the stupid bottle doesn't get milk stuck between the nipples, it leaks out from the top or the bottom of it.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
annaboo728
Registered Users

Re: breastflow bottles... instructions?

I'm using them for my 2 and a half week old. Mine don't leak all over her but the milk does get stuck between the 2 nipples. I think it's pretty typical and I read in the reviews on Target's website that lots of people had that problem. If you squeeze the sides of the nipple near the base (near the blue ring) it will mostly go back down into the bottle so the baby can get it out. I don't like to waste mine either because when I pump I only get 2 oz! One thing that frustrates me (and baby) is that the nipple collapses on itself. I have to take it out of her mouth and let it expand for a minute. The only reason we're still using these bottles is that we're trying to get back to the breast. My baby was not getting enough milk straight from the breast and we pretty much had to pump and measure how much she ate for a week to get her weight up. Hoping to get back to breast exclusively over the next week or so.
annaboo728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We tried them and hated them. It does that to simulate a 'let down' I think. But I could never tell if I was using them right. And I agree with PP about the nipple collapsing. If your baby is a good nurser I liked Tommee Tippee much better... Sorry you're losing precious milk, mama!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sound to me like the two parts (the nipple parts) are not put together properly, allowing milk to get out through the neck of the bottle. If those two pieces aren't just right, the neck can't get screwed on tight. Sorry you're having so many issues.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
watchmekerfuly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate the thought of having to waste milk just to get it figured out
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Merilwen
Registered Users

to squeeze the milk down, squeeze the little squares at the bottom of the nipple, you will feel it pop. It sounds like the blue part isnt all the way in if it is collapsing, make sure you like up the circle parts and push it in so the bottom of the blue part meets the bottom of the nipple.

I use this bottle all the time with ds and have never had a problem.
Merilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
azsuma1
Registered Users

My Mood:

we use this bottle a few times a week for G. Milk gets between the two nipples, but he cleans it out at the end of the feeding, i dont have to drain it back into the bottle. I think it does that to simulate let down. We havent had any leakage/waste.
you could try assembling it with some water in it and turning it upside down, milking it a bit, to figure out your problem without wasting any milk. (im not suggesting you feed him water, just use it for practice purposes over a sink)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

i hated the breastflow bottles and so did my dd. mine did minimally leak even when put together correctly. i did a full on 2 hour research about if i was using them correctly. my dd just didn't nurse well from them so we switched to nuk and haven't looked back. every once in a while dd will get a lil cranky for the first breast feeding after she has bottle fed all day while i am at work. i usually give her the pacifier (also nuk) swaddle her and get her calmed down and try again. usually she will latch back on well, other times she will fall asleep and the fussiness will be gone.
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

oh and the milk is suppose to "get stuck" between the nipples so the baby has "to work" for it and it simulates the letdown of the breast
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymomma View Post
oh and the milk is suppose to "get stuck" between the nipples so the baby has "to work" for it and it simulates the letdown of the breast
This is what I've always read about them