Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
jerilynsmom
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy Low supply after 6 months.

Hi ladies,
I could really use some help!
I have a almost 7 month that has nursed, with a nipple shield, every 2 hours, sleeps thought the night...all is great...until about a month ago.

I noticed she was getting very frustrated when nursing..often unlatching, crying then re-latching and trying vigorously to get more milk out.
She was not satisfied after nursing so i would give her baby food then pump my breast to make more milk. (not sure if giving her food was the right thing to do but i didn't have any saved milk to give her).

So after 2 weeks she's growing more and more upset every time she nurses...she now not accepting the baby food as a substitute after nursing anymore so i break down and go buy Similac organic and give her a bottle...fully expecting her to reject it...Nope! she guzzles it down!!

Fast forward to now, I still nurse every 2 hours but she gets a 2-4oz bottle of formula after 3 feedings a day. I still pump after every nursing and get next to nothing.
I really want to stop giving her formula...does anyone have any suggestion??!
Thank you!

Advertisement

jerilynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low supply after 6 months.

Mama! It's probably a growth spurt and she was just nursing a lot to increase your supply for a short period while she had a high calorie need! Stop giving the formula cause you aren't letting her tell your body to make more. Offerthe breast whenever she asks and just keep nursing. It is really normal at 6 months for this to happen. Gosh I remember it like it was yesterday. I was so freaked that i didn't have enough but knew it was just a growth spurt and would get better in a few days. It is also typical for your supply to decrease a bit at 6 months when food is introduced. Just nurse nurse nurse!!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

I have learned this time and time again. Breast milk is all about supply and demand. Trust your body. If you are well and taking care of your body, it will take care of baby. Formula confuses your body and it doesn't know your baby wants more. The frustrated suck is what pulls on the back part of your nipple to trigger your body to make more milk. No pump on the planet can mimic a baby's suck and if that's what your body needs to know that it needs to make more, keep the baby at the breast until it delivers. I always remind myself women in 3rd world countries don't have the option of formula, and surprise surprise, they breastfeed without complication (in general). Listen to your baby and let your body lead! Enjoy your booby baby!

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

I have learned this time and time again. Breast milk is all about supply and demand. Trust your body. If you are well and taking care of your body, it will take care of baby. Formula confuses your body and it doesn't know your baby wants more. The frustrated suck is what pulls on the back part of your nipple to trigger your body to make more milk. No pump on the planet can mimic a baby's suck and if that's what your body needs to know that it needs to make more, keep the baby at the breast until it delivers. I always remind myself women in 3rd world countries don't have the option of formula, and surprise surprise, they breastfeed without complication (in general). Listen to your baby and let your body lead! Enjoy your booby baby!

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
jerilynsmom
Registered Users
seller

Thank you both for taking to time to read and responding to my post!

I really did think at first it was a growth spurt but then after talking to some friends they suggested it might be time to introduce food because she was after all at the 6 month mark..and it did work pretty well..for a little bit =(

After she started rejecting the food i did try to just keep nursing her, despite her going off the breast, crying, going back on ect... but after about 2 minutes of that she would just lay there and scream! I would try and try to get her to nurse but she would pull away, refusing to nurse!
I was terrified she would start associating my breast with being stressed or something.

I'm also a little scared about just completely stopping the formula tomorrow because of possible dehydration!
jerilynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sometimes the nipple shield can cause supply issues later on in your nursing relationship because it reduces the stimulation your breast gets from her nursing. I don't know if that could be a cause at this point, but it's something to think about. Is it possible for you to wean her off the shield?

Could it be a nursing strike? Could she just be more interested in doing other things than nursing? When she is fed the bottles, is there something different about the experience, like is she able to look around more or something?

Also, babies will appear to "guzzle" up to 2 oz of anything in a bottle even if they are not hungry just because the bottle empties into their mouths. That could be an issue as well.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another thought--could she have an ear infection or something? Sometimes being in a nursing position and suckling can be painful when kids have ear infections.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
mynde
Registered Users
seller

i agree - stop the formula. and if possible, remove nipple shield.

i totally understand worries of dehydration. just make sure she has enough wet diapers. do you have access to a baby scale where you could possibly get a pre and post-feeding weight to see how much she is eating? that might ease your mind.

one other possible explanation for the pulling off and crying could be teething? my son wants to nurse when he is teething because it is comforting, but then, proceeds as your lo - pulls off, screams.

good luck to you!
mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Another thought--could she have an ear infection or something? Sometimes being in a nursing position and suckling can be painful when kids have ear infections.
Or could she be teething? That's exactly how DS acted when his teeth were coming in... We toughed it out for a week or two and everything went back to normal after the teeth came through. Also, you don't "need" to introduce food yet - breastmilk is more calorie dense than anything else you could feed her.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgle3 View Post
Breast milk is all about supply and demand. Trust your body. If you are well and taking care of your body, it will take care of baby. Listen to your baby and let your body lead! Enjoy your booby baby!
I have been going through my 5mo wanting to nurse every 2 hours. I support what mama COgle3 says.

We have not yet started solids with my LO and she is still EBF.

Thrush - We've had 2 bouts of thrush (thanks to antibiotics given to me), which resulted in a hungry baby with pulling off the breast.

Teething - LO's gums are sore so she nurses more frequently.

Growing Spurt - About 2 weeks ago, it seemed like I could not feed her enough.

I've been told not to worry until the baby is losing weight.

Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing. In the beginning, my baby lost more than 10% of her birth weight & so the pediatrician had us feed us formula after BFing her. We did this for less than a week.

When I contacted the lactation consultant at the hospital, she suggested that I pump 5-10 minutes after each feeding for 2 reasons:
1. Empty breast & feed to baby.
2. Produce more milk in the long run.
It was a tough battle, with many tears & phone calls to my experienced Mommy friends, but we made it through.

I'd encourage you to call your pediatrician.

If you're pediatrician is like ours, they don't have as much support for BFing mamas as formula mamas, so you will have stand your ground if EBF is important to you.