Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
BLW mamas- Need some help here

My ds will be 9 mo Saturday- he has been eating purees for a while now and is doing great but he is really showing interest in what we are eating. He has had mum mums & loves them- they are great bc they dissolve & made of rice. I have tried giving him pieces of fruit but if he breaks off a small piece he chokes & gags on it- even a piece smaller than a cheerio.

We also suspect some food sensitities or allergies & have yet to have them confirmed- appt with allergist next month. So we are avoiding wheat & dairy & green beans don't seem to agree with him.

So my questions are: how should I introduce fruits & vegs? In larger pieces or small pieces?

And do u have any suggestions or recipes for cracker/ cookie type snacks that are free of wheat & dairy & rice ( rice binds him up, so I try not to give that to him too much)?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BLW mamas- Need some help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews View Post
My ds will be 9 mo Saturday- he has been eating purees for a while now and is doing great but he is really showing interest in what we are eating. He has had mum mums & loves them- they are great bc they dissolve & made of rice. I have tried giving him pieces of fruit but if he breaks off a small piece he chokes & gags on it- even a piece smaller than a cheerio.
How many teeth does he have? That may be a factor if he can't chew the foods very well.

Quote:
So my questions are: how should I introduce fruits & vegs? In larger pieces or small pieces?
This article should give you an idea of how to prep finger foods for your little one. http://www.babycenter.com/0_finger-foods_105.bc

Quote:
And do u have any suggestions or recipes for cracker/ cookie type snacks that are free of wheat & dairy & rice ( rice binds him up, so I try not to give that to him too much)?
Here's one idea: Oats & 'Naner Drops
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...ngbiscuits.htm

HTH!
Foolalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Stick with the softer fruits and slightly mash them, just with a fork, so that baby can still scoop it up with his fingers but so it doesn't require much chewing. Lightly steam veggies and do the same.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We also suspect some food sensitities or allergies & have yet to have them confirmed- appt with allergist next month. So we are avoiding wheat & dairy & green beans don't seem to agree with him.
I forgot to mention that gluten intolerance is different from a wheat allergy, so other grains (e.g. oats) may contribute to his discomfort. It would be good to find out which one your son has at your appointment. http://gluten-intolerance-symptoms.com/wheat-gluten-intolerance/

Last edited by Foolalex; 09-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Foolalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolalex

How many teeth does he have? That may be a factor if he can't chew the foods very well.

This article should give you an idea of how to prep finger foods for your little one. http://www.babycenter.com/0_finger-foods_105.bc

Here's one idea: Oats & 'Naner Drops
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/teethingbiscuits.htm

HTH!
He just has the 2 bottom teeth. And thanks for the links I will look into those!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolalex

I forgot to mention that gluten intolerance is different from a wheat allergy, so other grains (e.g. oats) may contribute to his discomfort. It would be good to find out which one your son has at your appointment. http://gluten-intolerance-symptoms.c...n-intolerance/
It seems to be wheat related- he had an issue with multigrain cereal with oat, spelt & barely. But he does fine with oatmeal. But this is the reason we are seeing the allergist so hopefully it will get figured out & then I will have a better idea of what he can have.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son did well with steamed veggies. Just make sure they are soft enough to gum up. Ground beef is also good, or tender chicken. You don't have to offer grains, especially if you are suspecting a wheat or gluten issue. There are gluten-free crackers available, however.

It may make sense to actually give him a LARGE piece, so he can't just swallow and gag, however, some degree of gagging is normal and means he's learning how to handle food in the mouth. True choking is different, there will be no sound at all from the voice box, and no coughing.

My son was biting off pieces of food and chewing LONG before he had a single tooth. He even ate steak with no teeth (just took him a while to chew it).

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
My son did well with steamed veggies. Just make sure they are soft enough to gum up. Ground beef is also good, or tender chicken. You don't have to offer grains, especially if you are suspecting a wheat or gluten issue. There are gluten-free crackers available, however.

It may make sense to actually give him a LARGE piece, so he can't just swallow and gag, however, some degree of gagging is normal and means he's learning how to handle food in the mouth. True choking is different, there will be no sound at all from the voice box, and no coughing.

My son was biting off pieces of food and chewing LONG before he had a single tooth. He even ate steak with no teeth (just took him a while to chew it).
Is it normal to gag & throw up though? Because that is what ds does & it stops me from offer him finger foods more often.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller

I'm so glad you posted this! My daughter is 9 months today and also has the two bottom teeth. When I give her large pieces of food she bites down on it and pulls with her hand to rip it and usually gets way too large of chunks. She isn't attempting to chew at at. When I give her really soft things she touches them, makes a grossed out face and then refuses to even pick them up.
When I cut things into bite size pieces she has trouble picking them up and usually gives up.
Any help is very much appreciated! TIA
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've heard that if LO hasn't mastered the pincer grasp then they are not ready to small pieces of food bc they also have not lost the gag reflex. But u just have to keep trying & let them practice until they have the grasp mastered