Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
melilo's Avatar
melilo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 680
My Mood:
Sounds like maybe neither child is truly ready for solid food.

Trust me, it will be obvious when they can handle it. Some are not really ready until much closer to one year.

I would not give the child who is throwing up more solid food right now. Unless there are only certain foods that cause that reaction.

The girl that bites off large pieces will learn through practice how much fits in her mouth. My kid still does that, he just spits it out and takes another bite.

Advertisement

__________________
The world would be so boring if everyone were the same...

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
Sounds like maybe neither child is truly ready for solid food.

Trust me, it will be obvious when they can handle it. Some are not really ready until much closer to one year.

I would not give the child who is throwing up more solid food right now. Unless there are only certain foods that cause that reaction.

The girl that bites off large pieces will learn through practice how much fits in her mouth. My kid still does that, he just spits it out and takes another bite.
Thanks for the insight! How did you know when you LO was ready for finger foods?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 369
Re: BLW mamas- Need some help here

She just ate some raisins cut in half. I'm thinking she's being a princess and doesn't want to get her hands dirty.
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaunel
She just ate some raisins cut in half. I'm thinking she's being a princess and doesn't want to get her hands dirty.
I would be so scared to give my 9 mo old raisins- he gagged on a tiny piece of watermelon that he bit off a couple weeks ago. But I really should get some fresh fruit in the house for him to try.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #15
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 369
Re: BLW mamas- Need some help here

She did gag a couple times, but she didn't choke. It scares me too.
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #16
melilo's Avatar
melilo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 680
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews

Thanks for the insight! How did you know when you LO was ready for finger foods?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
When he grabbed food off someone's plate and ate it.

We had offered him foods before, but he wouldn't put them into his mouth. We never put anything in his mouth for him. One day he just decided to stick food in his mouth. We started off giving him things easy to break apart, like crackers. Then he worked his way up to steak. Still only has one tooth.
__________________
The world would be so boring if everyone were the same...

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
I have started offering him self feeding solids- mum mums & teething biscuits. He does well with bigger foods like that. When I give him small pieces like freeze dried apples he just moves them around on the tray & tosses them to the floor. When I put them in his mouth he moves it around a bit with his tongue but eventually gags. So I don't think he is quite ready for those type of food. But we will keep offering from time to time.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 369
Re: BLW mamas- Need some help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
When he grabbed food off someone's plate and ate it.

We had offered him foods before, but he wouldn't put them into his mouth. We never put anything in his mouth for him. One day he just decided to stick food in his mouth. We started off giving him things easy to break apart, like crackers. Then he worked his way up to steak. Still only has one tooth.
Well, then it sounds like you might be right and my daughter just isn't ready. She mostly just plays with it. She put food to her mouth once or twice but that's it.
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
S4r4h's Avatar
S4r4h
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews

I would be so scared to give my 9 mo old raisins- he gagged on a tiny piece of watermelon that he bit off a couple weeks ago. But I really should get some fresh fruit in the house for him to try.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
My 8.5 month old loves raisins and has been eating them for at least a month, but you're right, they are chewy.
__________________
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #20
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 369
Re: BLW mamas- Need some help here

My daughter is sitting on my lap helping me eat my french toast.
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.