Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyway I can stop HATING my daughter's hair :(

I'd call that medium length, myself...and if I can get clippies, headbands, barrettes, etc. in the [shorter than that] hair of my 18 mo DD, you can use them w/ your DD's hair. I'd make sure she's eating plenty of jello & protein (as well as a regularly well-balanced diet too, of course) to encourage faster growth.

I agree w/ Qbit that your attitude about her hair will likely impact how she feels about her hair, so that's unfortunate...I also personally dislike long hair when the kiddo has fine or thing hair; I just think it looks scraggly in general, so I really like her new cut; I think her hair looks thicker, shinier, & healthier. IDK, I think that as far as these things go, your situation is manageable & that to dwell on how much you hate it is a little extreme.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It could just be the shock of it...it's been less than 24 hours, perhaps in a few days I won't hate it as much...but right now? 16 hours out? I can't stand it
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I suck at doing hair anyway, I can do pony tails, pig tails, braid (a straight, normal braid, nothing fancy like French braid or fish tail braid or none of that, just the Right over middle, left over middle, right over middle, lol) and that's about it now I don't know what to do with it...I never did those stiff sticky out pony tails when her hair was shorter except if we were being silly LOL

I'm not opposed to short hair in general, I got my hacked off recently and it doesn't even touch my chin. I have had long hair my entire life...I just don't care for it on little girls...the hair at the bottom (the stuff she hacked off) was the hair she was BORN with...it's been with her her entire life, she's never ever had a hair cut...I didn't want to even trim it for a couple years And now it's just gone...
You'll always have pictures and memories. This baby hair would have had to have been cut sooner or later anyways. Maybe it's not when you had wanted it to be cut, but it's gone now so try to get used to it. It's probably better now anyways. Like someone mentioned (I assume they know your LO?) it's healthier now. And who knows? Maybe it'll grow a little faster now. It's good to get your hair cut in order to keep it healthy.
You say it's been less than 24hrs since it has been cut, so just give it a little time and I'm sure you'll come to accept it and maybe even learn to like it. I think you just need to get over the shock.

ETA: I just now realized that you posted photos. Totally didn't see those before! It really does look healthier! And I think it's very cute. I think some side swept bangs that you could pin back with a clip would make it look extra cute though!

Last edited by Qbit; 09-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

O mama ! I feel so horrible for you! I know EXACTLY how you feel. My DD had hair about to the middle of her back and then on a whim we chopped it off to her chin. I HATED it for months! It is just know back down to a little past her shoulders and we got it cut in January .

DD's hair before we cut it.
(It is dirty from playing and running around at school, but this is the only pic i have of her hair not fixed LOL)
The day we cut it in Jan

This is how long it is now (this pic was taken in july)

Last edited by AbbieJack; 09-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna try to get her to hold still for 30 seconds so I can figure out how to do something with it other than clip the 'bangs' out of her eyes...I'm no good at doing hair anyway and adding the complication of it being so short doesn't help matters LOL. My mom never taught me how to do hair and I never had sisters so I never learned LOL I never even do my own hair because it's impossible to work with (haha, 4 stylists worked for 45 minutes and used 1/2 a bottle of hair spray trying to get my hair to hold a curl for more than 5 minutes when I was in my dad's wedding...didn't happen...they had to MAKE curls with bobby pins, lmao)
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

Be grateful that she had hair to cut off in the first place, my DD is almost 4 and this is all she's ever grown

Your daughter's hair obviously grows fairly fast, it'll be back in no time...in the meantime enjoy less brushing.

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ODD hacked off her hair in March she cut it to her chin and gave herself SHORT bangs. I hated it and couldn't hide my horror when taking to DH about it later that day. She overheard me and started crying. I felt like scum for making her cry. Definitely experiment with your DD's hair, it took us a few days but we figured out a few cute ways to fix it but once we did it wasn't so bad.

I'm on my phone and the touchscreen hates me so my posts are short, to the point and probably misspelled.

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

First, give it a few days before you try anything fancier than clipping her bangs back. That way if it doesn't work, you're not so stressed about it like today. Then, look up hair blogs. A Princess and her Hair is a really awesome one! She does medium hair posts, and quickie ones too. It'll give you some ideas and if you show DD she might be willing to sit still for you to do it.

Second my DD turns 4 in two weeks and has never had her hair cut either. I would be saying the same things you are if I had to get hers cut. She's had her bangs trimmed, but the ends are her baby hair, they're down past her booty. We don't do crafts that require scissors very much bc Im scared she will cut her hair. She's cut it before, but just on the side of her face so I could use that as side bangs. I have such hard time doing DDs hair but the thought of cutting it makes me cry.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think that the new haircut looks a teeny bit better than the old one, actually.

Be really careful about the attitude you have about her hair. My mother told me she thought I had thin straggly hair when I was little and she couldn't do anything with it an that it never looked good. Well, I believed her and thought I was an ugly child. I now realize that I was a very cute child and think it is such a shame that my mothet made me think that about myself. It never went away until I was an adult either.

Your daughter's hair is beautiful, soft looking and such a pretty blonde. It would look gorgeous with a cute little braid at the front on one side, with two cute barrettes (onr on each side), high pigtails with some ribbon tied on (buy some pretty ribbon at Joann's or Michael's), with a cute hairband or head (Target, drugstore, Children's place, Gymboree, Claire's, grocery store), with one of those big flowery crocheted hats or headbands that they sell on etsy and babysteals.com every once in a while. It even looks adorable as is.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama- and like some of the PP said you can totally rock some cute bows and clippies in there! Plus you can always do headbands. She is precious and I think the cut is adorable! I'm sorry this is the way it happened, but be thankful that she didn't completely cut it off. A friend of mine's DD chopped her bangs to the scalp It was interesting, but it grew out and now it's fine. Hang in there, and it will get better!