Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyway I can stop HATING my daughter's hair :(

Looks like your DD has super fine hair.. I know that can be hard to get little clips/barettes to stay in when it's short. My DD's was like that for a long time, and is only just starting to get thick enough to hold clips in.

Honestly, I think part of the 'problem' with the short hair, at least from the pic you post, is where it is parted.. it looks like it's off to the side? Try parting it in the middle, and maybe pulling two little pigtails into the back?
It's actually quite surprising how fast hair grows...

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAnnaTime View Post
First, give it a few days before you try anything fancier than clipping her bangs back. That way if it doesn't work, you're not so stressed about it like today. Then, look up hair blogs. A Princess and her Hair is a really awesome one! She does medium hair posts, and quickie ones too. It'll give you some ideas and if you show DD she might be willing to sit still for you to do it.

Second my DD turns 4 in two weeks and has never had her hair cut either. I would be saying the same things you are if I had to get hers cut. She's had her bangs trimmed, but the ends are her baby hair, they're down past her booty. We don't do crafts that require scissors very much bc Im scared she will cut her hair. She's cut it before, but just on the side of her face so I could use that as side bangs. I have such hard time doing DDs hair but the thought of cutting it makes me cry.
Yeah, I guess different people are just...well, different. I had a mom who wouldn't cut my hair when I was little. It was down past my bottom when I went to Kinder @ 4...it was terrible. I just remember how much it hurt to have it brushed, how torturous it was when it was braided so tight I looked like Joan Rivers. When I FINALLY got a cut between Kinder & 1st, my mother bawled like a baby & kept the pony tail. I have always thought that kind of attachment to hair was weird & the fact that my mom kept this ponytail in a box w/ all kinds of mementos from her kids was just straight weird & creepy to me. I guess I get that it was the hair I was born with & all that, but nobody cries over exfoliation, shedding hair naturally, etc. I just don't really get it about the hair.

ETA: I've seen cry-worthy hair...a member on here posted last summer about her DD chopping just a chunk of hair (I think at the back?)...anyway, that looked like it made styling difficult. I once thought I could rock short hair. I was wrong. I looked like a bot Cabbage Patch Kid w/ the halo of inch-long hair. DP once got a perm that made it look like she had a pube wig . A long bob is not so tragic.

Last edited by carriek38; 09-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

FWIW, I also like the "after" better. I'm also in the camp that generally thinks long hair doesn't look good on little girls - particularly if the hair is fine like mine is. To each their own! I agree with what everyone else has said about not letting her see that you hate it and experimenting with some cute clippies. You don't really have to know how to "do" hair for little girls; it's not french braidiing or anything, just sliding in a clip or putting on a headband. Hope you start liking it better soon!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IMO, her hair is too fine and thin to be pretty long anyway. She looks adorable in a bob, her hair looks healthier, and its all about that adorable face now.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
Blondie87
Registered Users
Formerly: FosterMom87
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it looks much better cut shorter actually. Thicker and healthier. The lil 5 year old girl I do daycare for has much shorter hair, and I can put clippies with bows on them and headbands and stuff in her hair. So you can defiantly still do things with her hair to make it look even cuter...
TTC #1 since 9/07 M/C @ 10 weeks in May 08
Blondie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Yeah, I guess different people are just...well, different. I had a mom who wouldn't cut my hair when I was little. It was down past my bottom when I went to Kinder @ 4...it was terrible. I just remember how much it hurt to have it brushed, how torturous it was when it was braided so tight I looked like Joan Rivers. When I FINALLY got a cut between Kinder & 1st, my mother bawled like a baby & kept the pony tail. I have always thought that kind of attachment to hair was weird & the fact that my mom kept this ponytail in a box w/ all kinds of mementos from her kids was just straight weird & creepy to me. I guess I get that it was the hair I was born with & all that, but nobody cries over exfoliation, shedding hair naturally, etc. I just don't really get it about the hair.
This is what my childhood was like except my parents wouldn't let me cut it at all until I hit 17 and they couldn't stop me anymore. Don't ask why in my rebellious teens I didn't just do it. I did everything else they didn't want me doing but apparently cutting my hair was a taboo I wouldn't cross. At 17 I was so tired of that darn hair I could sit on (seriously it was almost to my knees) and hot and so annoying to take care of, that I marched to our bathroom, pulled it up into a pony tail and cut it all off. They I buzzed my head bald except for my bangs. I wear my hair in an Oi to this day. I cannot stand hair longer than my shoulders and even then it bugs me. I hate long hair. I almost always have a shaved head and I seriously blame my mother's obsession with my hair for that. She kept that pony tail too. As a result I let my kids do whatever they want with their hair.

OP, Kearnan's hair is about the same length as your dd's and I can do a ton with it. I am not a master at hair styling by any stretch. I can even put clippies in my and Tharen's hair and we only have bangs that reach our chins. You should be able to part your dd's hair in the middle and give her cute pig tails like this and of course you can do clippies, bows and head bands. Just have fun playing with things. I think she looks adorable with her hair cut. Like many of the previous posters I think it frames her face well and looks really healthy this way. I know it is traumatic and not the way you would have chosen to do it but it is important not to let the negativity get to her.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel you. Last year before Christmas my dd got a hold of scissors and cut her and her brother's hair. She took a chunk out of hers and it couldn't be fixed completely and I still notice the spot. We had to cut her hair shorter probably about shoulder length and it had an obvious chunk missing. As bad as her hair was what really saddened me is that she cut my son's hair in such a way that the only thing I could do to fix it was to get him a tight shave. It did really upset me becuase I loved his medium length shaggy hair and I don't care for shaved hair. I could barely tell his hair color. It grew back but yes it did take many months to do so.

I was hoping that it would be one of those teaching moments for my dd seeing how upset I was about it. I told her that she was not aloud to do that again and I hoped it would be one of those lessons. A month later she snipped another piece out of her hair while at a friend's house and just asked her friend to lie about it. It is a very common thing for kids that are her age to do. It is almost a year later now and I can look back on it as one of those things that kids do and laugh about it. I think your dd hair is cute at that length and it still looks very girly but I understand the shock of it since I was there myself.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-22-2011 at 02:23 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #28
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is the thread I was trying to find...

BTW--Mrspnut82--if you read this, can we have updates?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38

ETA: I've seen cry-worthy hair...a member on here posted last summer about her DD chopping just a chunk of hair (I think at the back?)...anyway, that looked like it made styling difficult. I once thought I could rock short hair. I was wrong. I looked like a bot Cabbage Patch Kid w/ the halo of inch-long hair. DP once got a perm that made it look like she had a pube wig . A long bob is not so tragic.
I get it. I was just the opposite- I loved having long hair and having my mom brush and braid it. I didn't get my first haircut until I was 9, and I cried for days. We got head lice, my mom was pregnant and couldn't take care of it so she had it chopped off. Anyway, if I hadn't had that experience, I probably would not care as much. DD loves her hair but if she ever asks to get it cut, I will take her. I just don't want it to be a decision made bc she did it herself.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Honestly I think it looks nicer and healthier in the after pics :hides:
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote