Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
God'sgirl_7
Registered Users

New to cloth diapering!

I'm brand new to cloth diapering!! In fact today was my first day my little guy is 6 months and I'm currently using diapers from a generous friend until I can get my own stock pile started! What is some advice you seasoned pro's would give me as a newbie? What are your favorite brands?:ect.? Thanjs in advance! God bless you!

Advertisement

God'sgirl_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
lovemycallahan&annabel
Registered Users

Re: New to cloth diapering!

I wouldn't call me a pro but I'll tell you my experience. With my son I bought pockets because I thought they seemed easiest without the long drying time of an all in one and I also thought all in ones would trap more yucky stuff. I never even considered prefolds/flats/covers. I ended up abandoning cloth diapers when my son grew out of our sized pockets at 8 months and they didn't sell the large anymore. I don't know why I didn't try out different ones. Probably because I was waaaaaay up north and the shipping would have been as much or more than the order. This time around, I used the pockets until again my daughter was much too chubby and I looked into my options. I ended up going with flats, prefolds, a couple kinds of covers and then have recently added two types of fitteds for at night with another type of cover. I also bought some second hand one size pockets for times I want to skip a step and they area still snug but do in a pinch. If I were to do it over again I would:
-try a few different kinds, maybe even a diaper trial if you can
-do a lot of reading and online window shopping to see what's out there, read reviews, read posts on this site...
- have a mix of a few things but mostly prefolds and covers. It's cheaper and they wash well
-buy gently used if you can, especially for covers. My diaper store has a gently used section (ones they tested for themselves or from a diaper trial) and I saved quite a bit on my Flips covers that way.
-don't judge a book by its cover. I don't think Mother ease are the cutest diapers to look at but they work very well and are reasonably priced.

Have fun! It's addictive
lovemycallahan&annabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

I'll tell you my story as well. We bought a full newborn stash of Gdiapers before my son was here. We weren't expecting a big baby....but we sure got one. He didn't fit in them after 2 weeks. We never got a good fit with them either. We had poo and pee on everything. Not to mention, rashes. So we sold those and bought bumGenius. 4.0s....again, a whole stash. They worked okay for a few weeks but I couldn't figure out why DS had a rash all the time and they leaked EVERY night. We then slowly started to trade those out for megaroos. I really liked them but DH would not use them. So we aol those all as well. We finally have a full stash of Poppy Fields diapers and wool and I couldn't be more happy. I wish I would have tried some of every kind from the start to see what would have worked for us. I also love flats on the weekends and during diaper laundry. Good luck, hope you find what works for you! There are a million options out there!
Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Mom2Thr33
Registered Users
seller

Exactly what she said. Also, I have a diaper sprayer which I love but I have also dunked and swished with the best of them. Try different kinds. I started out with Bumgenius and recently added prefolds and covers. At first I didn't like the prefolds but now I lean more towards them because they are just easier.
Mom2Thr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
lemon.extract
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been loving my prefolds with a snappi for a closure. Super absorbant. I am currently using covers from bummis (super snap) and cow patties; I like the bummis better because of the gussets. I also like my fuzzibunz OS; they fit well and they have adjustable elastic for the legs.

Buy used, it is cheaper and then they are already fully prepped.

Last edited by lemon.extract; 06-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
lemon.extract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

Like many of the mamas above, I tried many types of modern cloth diapers (AIOs, AI2s, pockets), but I ended up sticking with mostly prefolds and covers (I prefer GMD prefolds and Thirsties duo cover with aplix). I have about a dozen Nana's bottoms AIOs that I use for babysitters and in laws, a few pockets I use for overnight and 2 fitteds for coverless time. My daughter is 19.5 lbs and 12 months old and I use small prefolds for trifolding and medium for attaching to baby (I like boingos over snappi or pins). Have fun! It really is addictive :-)
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
God'sgirl_7
Registered Users

Thank you ladies! I appreciate your advice so much!!!! God Bless you!
God'sgirl_7 is offline   Reply With Quote