Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
kanga1622
Registered Users

Honestly, I am jealous that your 6 month old sleeps 4 hours sometimes. DS is 18 months and has only slept a 4 hour stretch once in his life. Some kids are just not great sleepers and figure it out when they are older.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wait, has he ever had a bottle yet? He's 6 months, right? If he has never had one, or not since he was much littler, there's a good chance he won't take one now even if you decide you want him to. I certainly wouldn't put that past him!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
poppan
Registered Users
seller

It sounds to me like he's just not ready for bed at 7:30. My older kids never were either. They stayed awake until around 9:30 and by then I was ready for bed as well so we all went together (I also coslept). I didn't get any alone time but it was less frustrating to just let them stay up than to be in the bedroom trying to get them to sleep for three hours straight. I can totally remember those nights because every once in a while I'd get it into my head that they should sleep earlier etc and I'd try for a while again. Nothing ever worked. Not even moving everything up by small (15 minute) increments.

They are 4.5 y.o. now and they still go to bed at 9:30/10pm.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Do you have a bedtime/wind down routine? Have you tried pushing a nap up a little earlier in the day so he's more tired at night? I know dd won't sleep well, or fall asleep quickly, if I allow her to nap past 5pm. Shes had the same bedtime routine since birth- bath, diaper, jammies, nurse, sleep. But we co-sleep, so that's different.

You said you co-sleep in the guest bed with him right? If he's used to that it's a far stretch to expect him to just be able to soothe himself to sleep in a crib right away. Have you tried side-carring the crib to a bed (yours or guest bed, whichever) so you can still lay with him, nurse him to sleep, but he's still in the crib in his own space? Then you can escape after he falls asleep without disturbing him. That's what we did with dd. She sleeps in her crib some nights, I just want her to get used to it for when we decide to transition her.

Considering he isnt used to bottles, I dont think adding a bottle is going to improve anything. It might frustrate him and your dh more, causing more tension and stress to the situation. And if you were going to try this, why wouldn't you give a bottle of pumped bm? Why formula? The formula might hurt your supply. If you pump a bottle every night at the time he would normally nurse you probably won't see a change.

Dd is pretty much the same. She wants to be held constantly and cries otherwise. She is a horrible napper, and I'm sure if it wasnt for the consistent bedtime routine she wouldn't do good at bedtime either.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh and as far as worrying about him rolling off the bed, can't you box him in with pillows? You could also put the mattress on the floor. Or i know you can buy rails for the side of a bed, too, but I'm not sure on the price for those.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #16
kferg
Registered Users

Have you true adjusting the bedtime? My LO goes down at 11 every night, even though the Dr tells me I should bump it to like 8. I would have a hard time getting him to sleep much earlier then 10:30. I do give my DS a paci to go to sleep. It might help. And even though I've heard all the warning I put my LO to sleep on his tummy. When I put him on his back he'll only sleep for 20min but on his tummy he'll sleep for hours! I

For sure teach dad ways to calm the baby when you're not in the middle of a meltdown. it's important that he learns how and that you are able to get a break.

Good luck!
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy
why wouldn't you give a bottle of pumped bm? Why formula? The formula might hurt your supply. If you pump a bottle every night at the time he would normally nurse you probably won't see a change.
This. You could even pump and hand the bottle to DH so the milk was still warm. I'd consider this, but no way would I introduce formula when you've made it this far without any!
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mamas for the encouragement and advice! The later bedtime is an interesting point. We went to dinner last night with a group of friends. He took a nap from 4:30-5:15 in my ergo. We went to dinner and he was awake the whole time. I'm sure it helped that it was outdoor seating. But we didn't get home until 8:45. I changed him and started nursing him and got him down by almost 10. He woke at 2:30. I think he nursed a couple times until he woke at 6am. Yawn!!!!

He has only had a few bottles and it's been a couple months since the last one. Honestly I'm just lazy with pumping. I don't like it and I never get more than a couple ounces and if I pump at night I only get an ounce at the most. I know that means nothing as far as supply. I know I have plenty for him I just don't respond to the pump well.

DH got up this morning with us and played with him on the floor and I got to eat breakfast without holding him. Yay!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: This really sucks...

I just want to say I agree with you on the pumping.

I really should just sell my 400 dollar paperweight. (Freestyle)

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I hear ya on the pumping. I hate it and it takes up so much of my time. I'm seriously contemplating adding in formula and just pump what I can when I get home from work and call it good.

Maybe use formula to get you started and then see what you can pump at the time of the missed feeding. Your supply should be well-established now and if it's just one bottle a day I don't think you will lose your supply.

If you want to stay exclusively mommy's milk there are ways to train your body to pump. For example you could try pumping one side while nursing the other for the first morning feed (most women can pump more in the morning). And by doing it every day at the same time you would further cue your body that you want it to produce at that time. Also until you get to the desired number of ounces, you keep the pump going for 5-10 minutes longer after the last let down--again to signal your body to make more.