Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Tell me about Fancy Nancy

Hopefully this is the right spot for this. I've seen all this Fancy Nancy stuff lately and I'm just wondering about it. Can you mama's share?

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about Fancy Nancy

It's a popular series of picture books and beginning readers. Nancy likes being fancy, but her family is so plain. The series uses a lot of "fancy" vocabulary and then explains it in simple terms that children understand.

My DD LOVES Fancy Nancy and I love hearing advanced vocabulary coming from my (then) 2yo. It helps that we use advanced vocabulary in our home anyway, but there is nothing like hearing your 2yo tell you that dinner was delectable or that a painting is exquisite. We have 4 of the hardcover picture books and 4 of the beginning readers. DD wants us to read them to her all the time. I suspect that more of the readers will make it into her stocking this year.

ETA: Here is a link for the first of the hardcover picture books and here is a link for one of the beginning readers.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 09-23-2011 at 08:57 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thing they are great. Nancy does many interesting things, while wearing a feather boa. It doesn't reinforce stereotypes at all.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Fancy Nancy is very popular here too. Some of the hard covers are more picture books that are fun read alouds, and some are more detailed and take a long time to read, but might appeal more to slightly older kids. The illustrations are great and entertaining.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I LOVE fancy nancy. Probably cause it reminds me of me as a kid. I would recommend checking out some books from the library!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I've never been able to bring myself to pick up the books, largely because of the little girl dressed like a drag queen on the cover.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my 3yo and 1yo are obsessed with her. And they both use the words she uses, like they refer to their nightgowns as 'peignoirs', it's too funny! I think it's cute, and the books are fun and interesting, I don't have any problems with it at all.

ETA: My 1yo calls her 'sancy nancy'. Love it!

Last edited by jeebee; 09-23-2011 at 08:14 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
I've never been able to bring myself to pick up the books, largely because of the little girl dressed like a drag queen on the cover.
Oh come on I totally dressed like that when I was little! I mean looking back it's ridiculous but it was all in fun, now if only I had some pictures...
Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

My nearly 7 yr old DD still loves Fancy Nancy after many years. We have at least 15 of the books and more on the way. Last year we threw my DD a 6th birthday soirée and invited all her little girlfriends. Best party ever!!
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieJJ View Post
Oh come on I totally dressed like that when I was little! I mean looking back it's ridiculous but it was all in fun, now if only I had some pictures...
I told my 3yo to go and get dressed the other morning, and this is how she came out! LOL. Yeah, not exactly what I was thinking...

ETA: Note she still has her PJs on... she just added ACCESSORIES!

Last edited by jeebee; 09-23-2011 at 10:22 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote