Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can people understand your 3-year-old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
My 3 year old is about 50-70% intelligible to people. I understand him completely...but I'm biased since I'm a speech-language therapist. lol. Most of his articulation errors are later developing sounds like s-blends, l-blends, v, sh, ch. I'd say, if you're concerned, don't hesitate to have your child evaluated.
I've tried figuring out if it's certain sounds, but I can't pinpoint it. It's not so much certain letters that she can't pronounce well, she's just really hard to understand.

I called our local school district and left a message but haven't heard back. There's a woman at our church who's a speech pathologist, so maybe I'll just see if she wants to come by some afternoon to chat. It's hard too because my DD is soooo shy that she will hardly say 2 words in front of other adults.

Advertisement

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is almost 2 and she is very clear. People have no issue knowing what she means. Granted, she has been pretty advanced her entire life though, crawling at 4 months, walking at 8.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

By 3 non family members should be able to understand fairly well. I had one child who was very clear from the moment he chose to start speaking. Adults could always understand him. I had another who went from typical mispronunciations to speaking clearly (for the most part) around age 3. Now I have a 3yo who doesn't correctly pronounce r, l, th and I'm sure a few other sounds that I'm not thinking of. I figured they would resolve themselves like his sibling, but we may end up in speech therapy.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can mostly understand my ds who is turning 3 but he definately isn't as good at articultation as my dd was at his age who. Once my dd started talking she was very clear in articulation. Stranger wouldn't understand her though because she wouldn't talk to them at 3 ; )

My ds's voacbulary and sentence size is fine but he has trouble with certain sounds like blends and s and soft c. Even I have a hard time with some of his words but most of what he says is understandable. He also was a late talker. He was in speech therapy for a while. For him I think he was a late talker because he had difficulty making sounds. He improved a lot on sounds but he still has trouble with some sounds. He had a revaluation for speech therapy at 2.5 and his therapists said that even with the sounds he was missing he was still in the range of developing them. I think strangers can understand more than 50-70% of what he says. If most people can't understand her I would get her evaluated. I did notice a few of the kids in my oldest preschool class definetely were still not articulating everything correctly and those kids are 4 and 5.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-23-2011 at 05:16 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I've tried figuring out if it's certain sounds, but I can't pinpoint it. It's not so much certain letters that she can't pronounce well, she's just really hard to understand.

I called our local school district and left a message but haven't heard back. There's a woman at our church who's a speech pathologist, so maybe I'll just see if she wants to come by some afternoon to chat. It's hard too because my DD is soooo shy that she will hardly say 2 words in front of other adults.
Hope your school district gets back to you. They should test or at least screen for articulation errors. Besides articulation (specific sounds), some children have phonological disorders such as dropping initial word sounds (-at for cat), dropping final word sounds (ka- for cat) or a other processes that are hard to explain over the internet.

Hopefully your friend can at least listen to you child and give you an idea. Oh, the developmentally appropriate sounds for a three year old boy are: /p, b, m, h, w, d, n, k, t, g/. For a girl: /p, b, m, h, w, d, n, k, g, ng/.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
For a girl: /p, b, m, h, w, d, n, k, g, ng/.
Of those I know for sure that she can't make the "g" sound, at all. At the beginning, middle, or end of a word.

The others I'm not sure. I'm trying to think through some things she regularly says to figure it out though! I do know that she replaces a lot of sounds that she struggles to make with a "d" sound.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It's hard for people with an 'untrained' ear to pick out specific sounds kids can and can't make. If you have an SLP friend I might ask her to take a listen. I would also call the school district (it's usually a district special education/preschool program office, not the school you live in the neighborhood of), every 2-3 days until they call you back. Squeeky wheel and all.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hope your school district gets back to you. They should test or at least screen for articulation errors. Besides articulation (specific sounds), some children have phonological disorders such as dropping initial word sounds (-at for cat), dropping final word sounds (ka- for cat) or a other processes that are hard to explain over the internet.

Hopefully your friend can at least listen to you child and give you an idea. Oh, the developmentally appropriate sounds for a three year old boy are: /p, b, m, h, w, d, n, k, t, g/. For a girl: /p, b, m, h, w, d, n, k, g, ng/.
Yes, my son was in the phonological program for exactly this. He would say tat for cat, ha for hat. Basically dropping sounds at the end and not saying them at the start. Have to say it was amazing how quickly he progressed and after a year(through school district).

I was told by the speech therapist/pathologist that he should have been understood by age 3, bar perhaps a few sounds.

I would keep on the school district as I had to call a few times, then it takes a month or more to get through all the evaluations, really more waiting than doing. I think it's good to figure it out now rather than later.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and my 2 yr old(was 2 in june) is much more understandable to strangers, more so when saying one or two words, but when he say's more, like a three word sentence, then that would be clearer to me.

I do now that he still can't say sounds like K/C for cat/cow etc, so I'm a little paranoid about his sounds now because of what we went through with big brother.

But my neighbour can really understand him when he will say words like "spicy", "airplane", etc....
Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
It's hard for people with an 'untrained' ear to pick out specific sounds kids can and can't make. If you have an SLP friend I might ask her to take a listen. I would also call the school district (it's usually a district special education/preschool program office, not the school you live in the neighborhood of), every 2-3 days until they call you back. Squeeky wheel and all.
It was the district # I called and they put me through to the right person where I left the voicemail. I'm not holding out too much hope with the district though as it is in the process of losing accreditation because it's so bad.

I realized that the wife of one of my DH's friends is a SLP, so I think we may just have them over for dinner and chat with her about it and go through private resources if need be. I like the idea of it being free through the district, but I just don't put much hope in the quality and not sure I want to be in the midst of all the school's issues!