Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:
Please help me understand...

why kids are picky? I've been hearing a lot of parents at my kids school mention how pick their kids are or 'oh your kid will eat that ... mine never would'. I guess I just don't understand this. Unless there's sensory or other issues going on then what's the problem?

I mean my kids don't like everything I cook or buy but we all have to try each food at least once every time it's prepared. Dd's favorite foods are salmon and lobster actually to my dismay because they're so expensive. Ds is pickier but I wouldn't let him get away with 'never eating that' he has to try things just like everyone else. Taste buds change, tastes change, opinions change and I make them (not by forcing it down their throat but more of a 'you have to try a bite of everything on your plate or it's bed time') eat one bite of each different food every single time. I guess maybe it's cause my mom let us eat anything we wanted and never made us try anything new that it bugs me...

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me understand...

My kids are picky as well. They have to try 2 bites of everything I put on their plates. But, that doesn't mean they aren't picky. There are lots of foods that they wouldn't try at all if it weren't our family rule and they weren't used to it.

Given a choice at a buffet or the like, they would stick to several safe foods and would rarely pick something new.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Yeah, I make Little Dude try one bite of everything, but it's honestly a kid-to-kid thing. Sometimes that technique just makes kids more stubborn about food. I was the world's pickiest eater, so if there was any justice LD would be too, but he's not. You may as well ask why some kids go through an "only wears pink" phase. (I did that, too, for the record.) It's a mystery.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I was a pretty picky child and DH was way worse. He never ate a vegetable even as a baby but his mother never pushed anything whereas mine made me and I gagged on stuff. To this day he might eat a couple different vegetable and that was only recently that he even attempted new stuff. I still dislike green beans and peas, ect...I'm not sure if it's hereditary but it really seems like it lol.
My dd1 had jarred food as a baby and when she ate the stage 3 stuff she'd eat everything and somehow manage to spit out only the peas. Dd2 was a great eater but gotten picky recently even though it's the same stuff she loved when she was two. My son is my best eater (so far) and I attribute it to BLW, who knows if it's really that or I just got lucky. I'll still offer them stuff but I'm not forcing them to eat it if they say they don't like it. I still remember gagging on green beans as a small child so apparently it stuck with me enough to not do that to my kids.

Now I'm pretty sure someone like my sil whose son ONLY eats Kraft Mac and Cheese or peanut butter sandwiches could have done something else to prevent that. She doesn't offer him other things cause she knows he likes that only. And how does a 4yo know if you offer him a brand of mac and cheese other than Kraft unless you tell him.
My niece tried giving him grilled cheese one time since she just moved into her apt (and apparently didn't want to make a separate meal or have the ingredients for his special diet). So what does the mother do to try and get him to eat it? She got caught sprinkling sugar on it! Swear to goodness. I totally blame the mother for his pickiness.

Last edited by mrspnut82; 09-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think people's kids are different for them than they are for other people.

for instance, I've watched my friends' kids and had them tell me 'I'm surprised she ate that for you'. And then I had a 3yo try to make me believe she didn't use a spoon herself. I didn't know at the time, so I spoon fed her her cereal. Come lunch time, I decided that 3yo's could use a spoon and made her do it. Her mom posted on facebook a couple weeks later that her kid was finally willingly using her own spoon.

anyways, I don't really understand it. Another friend has a 22 month old that suddenly won't touch bananas. He'll eat them if you put them in his mouth, but he won't touch them. He used to. Did he somehow develop sensory issues? Is he being purposefully stubborn? I certainly don't know. I sorta wonder if it's because he has a new brother who gets fed things, but I do not live at their house.

I also think that food is often a control issue for kids. The only thing they can control is what is put into their mouth. So, are some (not all!!!) pickier kids just grasping for something to control? Are they harboring some psychological 'life is too scheduled for me and I need to be able to make a choice about something' need? I do not know. You'd have to look at kids on an individual basis.

so, that doesn't answer your question.. but are some semi-related thoughts.

My kid eats like a champ right now. But I'm not giving myself any accolades because I know she's likely to prove me wrong at some point.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

I am completely picky so I just giggle when my son is... he's such a clone of me. It was never a control issue with me, not a sensory issue, just don't like a lot of things (I'm far worse than most kids).
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
TwoBoysAndAWeePrincess
Registered Users
seller

I don't know why kids are picky. And I have an unpopular opinion I think sometimes kids are picky because they aren't exposed to many different foods/food groups at home. Like I said, just my opinion and from my experiences. All 3 of my kids are great eaters and will eat anything. But between our home and my parents home, they've been exposed to tons of foods from the time they started eating table foods. Just my
Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep deprived View Post
Yeah, I make Little Dude try one bite of everything, but it's honestly a kid-to-kid thing. Sometimes that technique just makes kids more stubborn about food. I was the world's pickiest eater, so if there was any justice LD would be too, but he's not. You may as well ask why some kids go through an "only wears pink" phase. (I did that, too, for the record.) It's a mystery.
See to me this is a totally different issue. Certain colors of clothes aren't needed for health/general well being of an individual.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBoysAndAWeePrincess View Post
I don't know why kids are picky. And I have an unpopular opinion I think sometimes kids are picky because they aren't exposed to many different foods/food groups at home. Like I said, just my opinion and from my experiences. All 3 of my kids are great eaters and will eat anything. But between our home and my parents home, they've been exposed to tons of foods from the time they started eating table foods. Just my
Honestly this is what I have thought too, but I really can be narrow minded/opinionated at times so I was just thinking maybe there's another explanation!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBoysAndAWeePrincess View Post
We give my son a huge variety of food - I had to laugh at what my husband did for lunch - all he'd eat was rice. I was exposed too...he just got toddler picky all of the sudden and makes funny little faces refusing and hands the food to us (or feeds it to his dad).