Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Do you 'train' hair?

DD is almost 16 months old. She has very thin hair so far. It comes forward over the top of her head naturally and is just starting to get long enough to be in her eyes all the time. I have always combed it to the sides and slightly back. But once it's dry it always falls forwards again.

So do you train it to go back instead of forward? Or will it just do that someday when it is longer/heavier?

I don't mind the idea of doing bangs on her, but I want a way to get the hair that isn't supposed to be bangs to stay out of her face too. If we cut bangs, that hair would still come over and get in her eyes. I really don't want to cut the longest stuff that is coming from the top/middle of her head...I want that to grow out.

This kinda shows what I mean about it coming forward...common with babies (it does get in her eyes, somehow doesn't look as long here. It's an annoying stage where the ends are in her eyes, not hanging over her eyes)

Even if we did do bangs, I think that we couldn't do nice looking bangs just yet. There are some parts that a still pretty short up front

This is the back....messy but it's this way after I comb it anyway. All she has to do is sit in her carseat. It's still pretty short all around. So bangs might just look goofy.

I wish I could just put a ponytail up top or a headband but she REFUSES to keep anything in her hair and pulls it all out. So for now, nothing goes in her hair. Any ideas? Or would you just let it grow the way it is? Without changing anything?

Advertisement

Last edited by solarbabies; 09-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you 'train' hair?

My ds will be 16 months tomorrow and we haven't cut his hair yet. It is pretty long and getting thick but is super fine. I have always brushed the front to one side but it never really stays. It is always in his eyes. When we are at home I put a bobby pin in it holding it back to the side I always brush it too. I have been doing this for a long time hoping it would train his "bangs" to stay to the side but it isn't working!! I thought that was always how I would have to train my bangs when I was younger and would want to grow them out. I refuse to cut them bc I don't like that look. Sometimes I spray a little hair spray on my hand and smooth them to the side that way and they will stay for awhilebut he is wild and just messes his hair up haha. It is almost long enough to put behind his ear. You can see it in my avi. I also put it in a ponytail but a boyish messy one. I guess that isn't much help for you but I feel your pain. Maybe keep trying headbands??!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

I can't even train my 3 3/4 year old's hair back or to the side! Even the stuff from the crown of her head just shoots straight forward after I do it.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

oh my she is adorable!!

I think its long enough to put it up in a pony or two ponies just to get it out of her face, but I really think if you brush it to the side after each bath it will grow to the side as she gets older. My DD had hair like that (she's 5 now), I never ever cut bangs, and I love that she's never had bangs, I just kept putting it up and when it was long enough to do ponytails I did those...it eventually grew backwards.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hairspray! Now there is an idea! At least when we are out and about. I can keep trying headbands too, but she is so funny! Everytime I brush her hair, she checks to make sure there is nothing in her hair lol. She is very very positive she wants nothing in her hair/on her head, she does the same with hats) And I don't even want to try pony tails anymore because when she ribs the rubber bands out they pull her hair out too so she will loose a lot of hair that way. I have to use those itty bitty rubberbands, no other pony tail holders I have found will stay in her fine hair.

I was just hoping there was some sort of trick to train it to grow back instead of forward.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

no, hair will do what it wants to do. We know this as women, right? I comb Kailani's hair to the side and it still parts itself in the middle half the time. Sometimes I do a barrette or a ponytail, but he doesn't always like it. What I do when we go to church, is after his shower, I put a bit of coconut oil in my hands and rub it in his still-wet hair, then brush it to the side. I may post pics when he stops throwing pizza at me
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just started combing the hair in a side part for my dd and I would guess if she has thin hair it will always be thin? I don't have any experience cause my kids were both born with thick hair and still have it.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieJJ View Post
I just started combing the hair in a side part for my dd and I would guess if she has thin hair it will always be thin? I don't have any experience cause my kids were both born with thick hair and still have it.
lol DH has SUPER thin hair! My hair is SUPER thick. I am hoping she at least lands in the middle. She had long hair when born and never lost it, so the thin whispy stuff is some nb hair still. It is thicker in the back near her neck, so I am holding out hope!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

We just use clippies here- they don't stay in all day, but enough that I feel like it is worth the effort.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
hibiscus869
Registered Users

My baby has the same thing going (and will NOT tolerate any clips, bows, or headbands) and I have discovered that by using a TINY bit of CJ's butter spritz on my hands I can smooth the hair over when wet and it stays in place pretty well. It adds a little shine and smells fantastic.

Last edited by hibiscus869; 09-23-2011 at 07:48 PM.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote