Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Did You Deliver Breech Naturally?

Does it feel much different from head-down baby? (Did you have a footling or frank?)

Did you have a water birth with your breech?

Advertisement

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did You Deliver Breech Naturally?

I have not, but my Midwife said she has done 5 breech babies: two water births, one ended an emergency C-section, and one hospital transfer but vaginal delivery. She said she prefers to do breech babies out of the water though.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I had the doctor do an ECV to try to manually turn my 2nd son who was breech. He tried 5x and after the 5th said he wasn't gonna budge and it was time to give up. Because I couldn't even get my first son (9lbs.8oz) out without a severe shoulder dystocia and birth injury, we all decided we shouldn't try a vaginal breech birth. So we did a c-section... we had peace, but were still bummed. My 10lbs.3oz son came out through the kangaroo pouch healthy and whole. The ECV was kinda painful, but I was glad we tried everything to turn him still.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Will need to ask my mw if she will deliver in water. I've only seen maybe 2 waterbirth videos of breech babies. I would prefer to stay in the tub if already in it but understand if there's reason to get out for reasons like the mw needs to help unstick LO. Not sure how many breech she's delivered but she's assisted in 3 breech this year alone and she's been a mw for over 30 years. She's old school, which I love because she is really good at handling complications should they arise and has so much experience but I'm thinking this may be the reason she's not ok with waterbirth breech.

Considering success rate of ECV is barely half, I'm not willing to take the risks. Would rather just deliver breech at home.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that I would want to deliver a breech baby in the water. Most providers that support breech vaginal birth prefer hands and knees, but not in the water. There are more risks to a vaginal breech birth that are easier to keep an eye on if mom is not underwater. I understand the desire to stay in the water for mom, but I think that it is more risky for the baby to do that. I doubt that there are any studies on it, but if I were a midwife I think that I would be more afraid of a breech water birth.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=SeaChellsRun;14787514]

Considering success rate of ECV is barely half, I'm not willing to take the risks. Would rather just deliver breech at home.[/QUOTET

They kept an ultrasound on him the whole time and his heartrate stayed fine throughout trying. My sil had her doc try to do an ECV and she went into labor 2 nights after that! We just did the c-section right after my ECV as I was having light contractions anyway (baby boy was 40 weeks because we didn't realize he was breech until 5 days before that... probably another reason it didn't work).

Have you tried accupuncture/moxibustion? Worth a shot and no risks.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried accupuncture/moxibustion? Worth a shot and no risks.

I'm going to see a chiro this week that has high success of turning babies with webster technique. I order Moxa sticks last week but didn't realize they were coming international shipping Hopefully they arrive soon because this is the optimal week to use them but shipping saying 20 days so we shall see.

I have been doing inversion and breech tilts Felt like LO moved transverse two days ago so I'm hoping that with a little chiro help LO with flip. I'd love to be able to deliver in water again and not have to get out to deliver.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12