Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Wake A Sleeping Baby?

My ds is 4 days old and seems to have his days and night mixed up. We were up ALL.NIGHT.LONG last night and now he is sleeping 4-5 hours steches during the day. My milk came in yesterday afternoon so it was helpful for him to nurse all night but Mommy needs sleep. Do I try to wake him up and nurse more during the day to reverse his cycle?

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
barrett12
Registered Users
seller

You def want to wake him like clock work every 2 to 3 hours for the first 2 weeks to make sure he gets back up to birth weight and gaining some more past that and 3-6 weeks can go 3-4 hour stretches If he would let you. Try waking him more from 6am-6pm so yeah he does know the wake hours and keeps lots of lights on during the day even wherever he is sleeping and not being dead silent while he sleeps and once night time hits have dimmed lighting if you have it.
barrett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would wake baby during the day, no longer than 4 hours to try and straighten out those days and nights.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
lolis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Wake A Sleeping Baby?

From Kellymom (www.kellymom.com - a great breastfeeding resource if you don't already know about it!) :

"My newborn wants to sleep all the time! Should I wake him to nurse?"

Yes, if he doesn't wake on his own. Many newborns are very sleepy in the early days or weeks and may not exhibit hunger cues as often as they actually need to eat. Newborns should be nursed anytime they cue hunger, but at least every 2 hours during the day and at least once during the night. Once your baby has established a good weight gain pattern (at least 4 ounces per week, for babies under 4 months), you can stop waking baby to nurse and let him set his own pattern.

"My baby just started sleeping longer at night. Do I need to wake him to nurse?"

If your baby is younger than 4 weeks, then it is a good idea to wake baby at least every 4-5 hours at night to nurse if he does not wake on his own. If your child is older than 4 weeks, you can allow baby to sleep as long as he wants at night as long as he is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight within normal parameters.
lolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett12
You def want to wake him like clock work every 2 to 3 hours for the first 2 weeks to make sure he gets back up to birth weight and gaining some more past that and 3-6 weeks can go 3-4 hour stretches If he would let you. Try waking him more from 6am-6pm so yeah he does know the wake hours and keeps lots of lights on during the day even wherever he is sleeping and not being dead silent while he sleeps and once night time hits have dimmed lighting if you have it.
Yep, this!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Yes, every 2-3 hrs during the day, and really encourage full feedings if possible (rather than snacking--try to keep them awake long enough to totally empty one breast at least, so they get the good hindmilk). I leave them alone at night. I have 4 kids and they would sleep 4-7 hrs at night from the start (usually
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly i would wake him up. Now the every 2_3 hours thing can really be dependant on your milk. My lo's would go 4-5 hours at night and still gained weight. You watch him you are his mama! He is probably find esp if he was up all night but since you want to switch his sleep/wake cycle wake him up
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

gotcha! Last night was better but still not great. I think I got 2 hours in a row.. bleh

Thanks ladies!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Wake a sleeping baby?!?!! are you mad?!?!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
mrsmodernhousewife
Registered Users
seller

I asked my dr at the 1 week check up and she said I did not need to wake the baby up during the night, as long as she makes plenty of wet diapers.
mrsmodernhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote