Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Minky12
Registered Users

mastitis help please

Hi ladies, I unfortunately have mastitis for the first time and have some questions for those of you that have had it. My dd is 9 mo and ebf. Last Tuesday I noticed a clogged duct in my right breast but massaged etc and it was gone by that evening, or so I thought. Then Thursday I was fine all day until 5ish I started gettin the chills and feeling so weak and checked my temp and it was 100. My breast was hard as a rock in the same spot and sooo painful. My temp kept rising, it went up to 103 I started takin ibuprofen and called dr Friday morning. He called me in augmentin 875mg. I'm so achy and the chills come and go, everything hurts, it's a task just to pick up my lo. My knot in my breast hasn't budged it is hot and red. My fever has broke 3 different times but keeps coming back regardless of ibuprofen. So how long is this supposed to last? When should the knot go away and why does my fever keep coming and going? I just want some relief. I've taken 3 antibiotic pills so far and have done hot showers hot baths hot rags etc. Any help ladies? Thank u

Advertisement

Minky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: mastitis help please

So sorry, mama. Mastitis is awful. You should be seeing the fever gone in the next 8-12 hours. If not, you might need to revisit a different antibiotic. The knot can take another day or two to break up. Don't be afraid of the fever - it's your body's way to fight off the infection, and it sounds like you have a strong one! Hope you're feeling better really soon
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Minky12
Registered Users

Thank you mama, it sure is awful! Thank you for replying. Can't wait for this to be over. I'm still havin the sweats, not so much the chills anymore. My breast is still so hard and red and hot. It's a pretty good sized lump I think, it extends from the very top of my breast, to right behind my nipple. I wonder if that's normal for mastitis? My armpits on both sides are so sore and massaging, hot showers, and hot rags haven't made any changes. is this to be expected? Thanks mamas
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
MarmotMommy
Registered Users
seller

Mastitis is horrid. The two major rules are REST and EMPTY THE BREAST. I felt like I'd been hit by a train for two days (even after starting the antibiotics). Lie down, try to do nothing (lol, I know). See if you can get someone to come watch the kid(s) so you can rest and just nurse, nurse, nurse. If nursing hurts, pump. Get that breast empty as much as you can.
MarmotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh mama. Mastitis is horrible. I agree with PP, empty the breast as much as you can. Also, cabbage leaves will relieve the swelling and black tea bags are a natural way to draw the toxins out of the breast. Make them as hot as you can comfortably stand and put them on your breast. That REALLY helps. Oh and don't be afraid to call your Dr.! It's always better to call and hear "that's normal....it'll be ok" than to not call and have it get bad. Praying for you now.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I kept a sock filled with rice heated over my hot wet compress on the lump constantly with mastitis. I also massaged starting at the back of the lump pushing the lump towards the nipple to expel some milk. Are your nipples cracked, scabbed or blistered?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

momma! Keep taking your antibiotics! And keep trying to empty your breast!
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Minky12
Registered Users

Thank you mamas I will try all of these suggestions too! The lump still hasn't changed. The sock sounds like a good idea. It just worries me since it's still red and so hot. I probably will call dr just to hear if that's ok or not. And no my nipples look fine, no cracks, scabs or anything. Thanks for all of your help mamas.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry mama. Mastitis is miserable.

I've had mastitis 10 times in the last 21 months. No fun. The only time that I took antibiotics was when I had deep mastitis when my LO was about 3 months old.

Nurse frequently, about every hour, and empty the breast completely each time. Before nursing, put a warm, moist compress on the area for about 5 minutes or so, then immediately nurse. If baby isn't interested in nursing that frequently and emptying the breast, pump instead.

Submerging your breast in warm water also really helps. Then massage and nurse or pump.

Ibuprofen every 6 hours. After several subsequent doses, the anti-inflammatory effect kicks in.

Cool cabbage leaves in your bra or tank between nursings.

You really have to be diligent about nursing frequently and doing the compresses frequently to get the knot to soften faster. Otherwise, it will days days, if not a week or so, if you wait for the antibiotics to do it alone.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Minky12
Registered Users

Wow, that's awful having it so many times in such a short amount of time! poor mama. I'm doing what you ladies have suggested, I will keep it up! The knot is still there, looks like some swelling may have gone down, so that's good. I called dr and the nurse said it shouldn't still be as I described, but she had to talk w dr and call back. So dr said it's ok and to finish antibiotics and if it's not better then, to call back. I guess I just feel funny since I didn't actually go to dr for him to look at it. Oh well, we will see what happens this week, hopefully improvement! Thank you mamas!!