Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
honeydomehlon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interested in Lactation Consultant Education

I have been very interested in going back to school to become a lactation consultant. I am wondering if there are any in this forum that have any good advice. I am not a nurse. I am a massage therapist and have some doula training as well. Is an online course a good route?

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think if you go to the ibclc website it shows the various pathways you can take to become an LC.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is no online course to become an ibclc. You can do online training to become a lactation counselor or educator (UCSD extension)

The pathways to become an ibclc are confusing but depending on where u live, a course is available (in addition to classes and clinicals)

You have great experience to start off though! For me, becoming an ibclc was not the best idea. Unless I was going to work solo, most hospitals around me want u to also be an RN. So I chose to become an LC. Ran into a road block with my own local hospitals with that too, though. You must be bilingual. Rofl! I'm 4 miles from Mexico
Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Interested in Lactation Consultant Education

I'm interested in this, too! Here is a link that might be helpful. Its kinda confusing so I'd maybe talk to an IBCLC to get some help. You could contact someone through LLL. I'm working with the nurse manager of lactation at the hospital I used to work for. GL!

http://www.americas.iblce.org/steps-...oming-an-ibclc
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a Lactation Counselor for WIC. Not the same as a Lactation Consultant, but I can give you the info if you like.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the process of becoming a LLL Leader, and have already started getting my CERP Credits! I should be able to sit for the exam in just over 2 years.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I'm a Lactation Counselor for WIC. Not the same as a Lactation Consultant, but I can give you the info if you like.
Do u need to be a peer ( on or have used WIC, prior)?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
honeydomehlon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I'm in the process of becoming a LLL Leader, and have already started getting my CERP Credits! I should be able to sit for the exam in just over 2 years.
I have thought about that but I am in an area sadly that has one group created and no one has come for many years. Very few Moms around here nurse or have any interest in it. I on the other hand nursed my daughter until she was 25 mo. and most people thought I was crazy.
I want to do my edu. now because we are moving to a more populated area within a couple years.
that is a great idea though, Im sure you will make a great leader. have fun with your group!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydomehlon

I have thought about that but I am in an area sadly that has one group created and no one has come for many years. Very few Moms around here nurse or have any interest in it. I on the other hand nursed my daughter until she was 25 mo. and most people thought I was crazy.
I want to do my edu. now because we are moving to a more populated area within a couple years.
that is a great idea though, Im sure you will make a great leader. have fun with your group!
I think that's even more of a reason to do it! LLL gets grants and Leaders are able to use that money for outreach programs to get more moms involved. If you really gave it some effort you could be an amazing resource to moms in your area! Really! You should give it some thought
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Do u need to be a peer ( on or have used WIC, prior)?
Yes. The only prerequisites for the the job are that you were or are on WIC and that you are a breastfeeder. They will train you for the rest.

Anyways here's the link for the CLC training course I took. It really was a great class. The ladies that taught the class were fabulous. So informative and yet still entertaining.

http://www.healthychildren.cc/

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote