Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Baby fell off the bed.

He won't sleep in her crib, but now cosleeping is dangerous since she can crawl over pillows now. It's fine when I'm in the bed but I don't go to sleep as early as she does. The time between hearing her wake up and actually getting to the bedroom is plenty for her fall off the bed.

I don't know what to do. My cosleeping friend and I think we have created monsters. We don't understand how to change our babies sleep habits.

I would not try to change if it didnt pose this fall hazard. I've heard of CIO, no cry sleep solution and easy sleep solution(not sure if that's what it's called) but I think all of them seem so difficult. Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

My daughter coslept with us for 22 months and now our son is. We haven't had any transition problems. She started to crawl off in the middle of the night so my hubby would get out of bed, change her and I'd roll to the other side to nurse. And if I needed to switch back we'd switch sides. I went to sleep with her when she went down, 7:30/8. AnD I went to sleep. Cant really do that this time And he is only 5 months. So...we will probably do the switch thing and I will probably just lie down with him when it's time to sleep.

No monster created, cosleeping is a great thing and scientifically proven
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Cosleeping is fine but I can't go to bed at 8:30 to make sure she is safe.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Bum-fabulous
Registered Users

Re: Baby fell off the bed.

I made a little mat on the floor and simply nurse her to sleep there. When I come to bed I usually wait until she wakes (around midnight) and transfer into bed with me. I had to make this change when she rolled out of bed,
Bum-fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
tractrg1rl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you put just the mattress in the floor until she learns to put her feet first to get down? We also surround baby with pillows as a barrier to prevent rolling or crawling off the bed before we could get there. We recently transferred my son into the crib (14 mths) once he was asleep for naps or early bed if I wasn't ready to sleep & then bring him into bed when I was going to bed. Gives me a peace of mind he's safe, but I still have the fabulousness of cosleeping when I'm able to be with him.

My IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1272292
tractrg1rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I put dd to sleep and lay her on a blanket on the floor until I go to bed. If that won't work for you, you can always put your mattress on the floor instead of on the bed frame.

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos
Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
mamabear25
Registered Users
seller

Once my little ones start rolling and crawling, our mattress goes on the floor. When we first did this with ODD- it took a little getting used to but now it feels cozy. It's so great that I can nurse down for naps and for night and not worry about falls.
mamabear25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear ya! I/we coslept w/DS1...When he crawled off we took the frame down and put the mattress and box spring on the floor.
W/DS2 I just can't do that. I nurse him down and at 5 months he's still sleeping in his carseat. (GERD) I have NO clue how I'm going to transition him to his crib, but once his Zantac starts working to heal his throat, I'll be trying.
Can you put your mattress on the floor? Or put a crib mattress on the floor next to your bed so she can still be near you?
Or...just try to get her used to her crib/bed.... it'll take consistancy BIG time. DS1 NEVER slept in a crib. I always had to be with him. I should have worked on getting him to his crib when he was younger (starting around 6 months) but I had wanted my sleep and felt partially bad to him.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Ditto. Mattress on the floor when we co-slept with crawling babies.

We also have 6 pillows on this bed. It was pretty easy to stack them high enough (and then cover with blankets) that the kids had a pretty hard time knocking those pillows off or crawling over them without waking us.

And the first 4-5 hours were hours we didn't have to worry about. Our kids knocked out cold for that time so it was pretty simple to put them to bed with just the monitor on. They didn't move anywhere until about 1am or so and by that time we were in bed with them.

HTH mama
Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I haven't had a mattress on a frame since I started having kids 17 yrs ago! We put pillows around the edges when we aren't there, bc the 15 mo old has fallen- he tosses and turns feeling for us, lol. But the bed is low and carpet on the floor. Anyway, I teach my babies how to crawl to the edge and turn by 6 months (or whenever they crawl- so really, 4 1/2-7 months in my cases). They then just slide down, feet 1st. The thing that I also do in the beginning of their mobility, is as soon as I would hear them on the monitor, I would race up the steps. This DS hasn't tried to get off the bed EVER when we aren't there. when I am trying to get him to nap, he gets off all the time , but when he gets up from nap, he sits up and yells for me