Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital?

I think it's fantastic that you're trying to give your LO breastmilk! DS had latch issues and got really jaundiced so I had to give him formula until my milk came in. They had a little chart of how many mililieters I had to give him for each day of life. I gave whatever I pumped first (before my milk came in it was barely 5ml) and then the rest I gave formula. By the time my milk came in I made plenty and was able to stop the formula entirely. I think it's fantastic that she is taking the breast. I had to finger-feed DS for a while before he learned to latch. I would avoid bottles and if you have to give her formula (on Dr's orders) I would suppliment with some other method, cup, finger feed, SNS, ect. However, If you are giving her any formula you need to be pumping to tell your body that your baby wants the milk, if you don't pump your supply will not increase properly. Congrats on the little one and best of luck!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 AM   #12
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
You absolutely can breastfeed. If you cut out the formula and fed on demand your body will adjust and make enough milk. As long as baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers, theres no need to supplement

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolis View Post
Good job!!!I also humbly suggest pumping every few hours to stimulate milk production. Your hospital should have some available!
Agreed!! A hospital grade pump will do wonders for your supply!! You can usually rent them by the week. Once your supply is well established you won't need it. I encourage you to only offer the breast though so as not to cause nipple confusion. If you need to give her pumped milk, you can do it with a dropper or from a spoon (I say this from experience...the dropper is easier and less messy that a spoon ). Good luck mama! You're doing great!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
You absolutely can breastfeed. If you cut out the formula and fed on demand your body will adjust and make enough milk. As long as baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers, theres no need to supplement.
Well said, mama!