Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
pixieixiq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
18mo can climb/fall out of crib--do they make cribs lower to the ground??

My 18mo can climb out of his crib. Luckily, he hasn't made it all the way to the floor yet, but I find myself dashing down the stairs the moment I hear him wake up. With two other LOs, I'm just not prepped for him to move to a toddler bed yet. We actually tried for 4 days and it was so stressful for me that I gave up. (Honestly, he likes his crib and goes to sleep like a dream in it, and since he's only 18mo and the other two are under 4, I'm not in favor of changing anything right now.) Anyhow, does anyone have a crib that's low to the ground? We have a friend with one where the mattress is practically on the ground, but she has no idea where it came from. Does anyone have any help?? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Both mine go pretty low. One is a storkcraft 4-in-1 and 1 is a graco 3-in-1. But niether of ny DDs tried to climb out.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

Re: 18mo can climb/fall out of crib--do they make cribs lower to the ground??

Don't the Ikea cribs go really low? Our crib can go down really low. It's a Westwood Designs crib, not sure where they are sold though, DH got it through his work (a furniture store).

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
PrissyMaesMama
Registered Users
seller

I dont know if this is possible with your crib, but my sister was able to take the metal frame out of her crib and just set the mattress on the floor itself. There is no space under her crib so it worked out perfectly.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoGreta View Post
Don't the Ikea cribs go really low? Our crib can go down really low. It's a Westwood Designs crib, not sure where they are sold though, DH got it through his work (a furniture store).
Yup, Ikea cribs are low.

My oldest was climbing out at 15 months - we ended up just putting her mattress on the floor until we could get her a "big girl bed" which was only a couple days. Luckily, DD2 hasn't learned yet (although she is trying) - she has much shorter legs

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second was climbing out at 13 months. Imagine my shock when I got up one morning and found her walking around the house! After that we made sure she was always in the sleepsack at night (couldn't lift her leg to get over), and at naptime i would just attend to her the minute I heard her call for me, or put her on our bed (low futon) with pillows around. I also had a spare mattress that I put on the floor just in case. We moved her at 17 months to a big girl bed, and she started sleeping so much better.

ETA: I think she really hated that crib, LOL! She was in heaven when she had a big girl bed like her big sister, and she's never fallen out of it either.

Last edited by jeebee; 09-25-2011 at 11:35 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS was climbing out at 16 months (while I was bedrested with LO #2). He loved his crib he was (and still is at 4 a climber).

We got a crib tent and that worked well for him. His cousins all got in with him and we called it a fort.

Yeah - LOL - it was a life saver for us. Neither of my girls needed it, but it saved us because he was not ready for a toddler bed - he needed his safe cave to sleep.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used the sleep sack trick to keep Dd in the crib till she was about 19 or 20 months, then moved her to a toddler bed, child proofed the room and put a gate on the doorway.
Some people use the crib net, I looked at them but went with the bed and gate method.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

Sleep sack here - you can size up and get the 2T Halo Early Walker. We like both the mesh and fleece. Or, my son would be out easily. (now he just jumps...uggg). I wouldn't modify your current crib as if you look at the CPSC, many of those crib deaths were due to modifications or "fixes."
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I have a crib tent on my two year olds crib with a one year old and a new baby coming very soon I am not ready for him to be out his crib I've had the crib tent on his crib for a year and had no problems with it