Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Last night was aweful and I'm starting to resent my nursingling for nursing. =(

Flame away but I'm really starting to resent it at this point.

Not only did my almost 1 month old, nurse non-stop all yesterday evening, she continued though the night. Every time I would nurse her to sleep and set her down she would wake back up every.single.time. within 10 minutes, rooting and crying.

I was beside myself by 4 am and threw a temper tantrum like my dang 20 month old. Scared my husband because I flipped out so hard. (Don't worry I didn't even think about hurting the baby or anything. I just cursed really loudly, stomped my feet (literally) and punched my mattress.) Yes, 100% pure tantrum. It's like my temper was super out of control and I couldn't stop myself.

I calmed down after that but I was steaming mad.

If that isn't enough, I'm realizing that all this nursing is taking time away from my toddler. I can't spend any time with her at all because it seems like anytime I do have free and head her direction, its like the nursing has a "proximity" alarm system and starts going off! Then I have to drop the toddler and pick my nursling back up!

Let's not even talk about the stress I'm under right now to try and keep my house clean...or MYSELF clean for that matter. I can barely schedule a shower into my day.

The only thing I can seem to do lately is just sit on my rear end and breast feed and I'm tired of it. 8(

Sorry about the rant.

Advertisement

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It will get better mama. Hugs.

What I did was set up a box of special books and toys next to my nursing chair so I can pull my toddler onto my lap and read to her while LO nurses. Or if LO is being super needy then she can play by my feet with the special toys.

It also sounds like your nursling may be in a growth spurt. This too shall pass ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum- please excuse any weird posts. My phone thinks it's smarter than me.
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Last night was aweful and I'm starting to resent my nursingling for nursing. =(

Hugs momma!Its does get better.The first 6 weeks were rough for me after baby #2.Could your baby going through a growth spurt and thats why she's nursing so much?Do you babywear?My #1 was just 16mo when #2 came and babywearing was the only was I could keep the baby happy and be able to play with the oldest.
Can you recruit someone to watch them everyday or at least every other day for 20min so you can take a shower?Even 20min in a nice bath/shower with some smelly candles and some music will do you wonders!
Good luck hun, hang in there
mumtothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Last night was aweful and I'm starting to resent my nursingling for nursing. =(

The first few weeks are the hardest - IT WILL GET BETTER! Your nursling is crying because she needs something from you, not to be a brat!

I've found that changing my attitude has helped me deal with my baby better. Before I was making the matter worse by getting frustrated and mad myself. I finally got to a point where I can put the frustration aside & deal with my LO quicker & calm her sooner.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

Your post brought back memories for me. I have 2 boys who are almost 19 months apart. My second son (who is now 2 1/2) nursed non-stop too. I realized there was an issue by the time he was 4 days old. I went to see a lactation consultant. They weighed him before and after a feed. He was only getting 4 cc per feed. He lost a pound and a half in those 4 days! They are supposed to lose weight but not that much. The lactation consultant said I needed nurse him and then give him formula then pump to build my supply up (oh i also had mastitis. yikes). I did eventually build my supply up after several weeks. I think the issue was partially due to having a second c-section and a delay in nursing for the first time. The LC said it was odd for my milk not to come in since I had successfully BF before. So if this has been an issue since the start this is something to consider.

Also, he had reflux. He wanted to nurse often (even after my milk was in). His ped said it was because as the acid comes up he would take a drink to wash it down. I found that if i cosleep without a shirt he would just get a drink as he needed it allowing for much more peaceful nights. he'd get a drink and then go back to sleep. nights were the best part of the day! he would cry most of the day unless he was nursing. We tried some reflux meds but saw little change. so for 10 months he was held and nursed a lot.

I don't know why your baby is crying and nursing so often. If its very recent it may just be a growth spurt. Just wanted to throw it out there about our struggles and let you know it does get better! I know some people will disagree but if you are this stressed with nursing it be a good idea to let dad give a bottle and give you a little break.

Hang in there!
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am pretty sure it's just a growth spurt but it still sucks. I don't feel like I'm cut out for this. 8(

I know people say it gets easier after the first month but I just don't see it yet. Know what I mean?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It is hard! The beginning is hard no matter how we feed our babies! Going from 1 LO to 2 is a HUGE transition. It will get easier. It's ok to feel frustrated and overwhelmed. It is part of the process. Anyone who tells you it was an easy transition is lying
I always found that when a phase got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore, couldn't survive one. More. Day. I did survive, and the phase ended. Just like that. Your toddler will survive this and you will look back with such pride that you overcame these early days. Good luck! And vent away!!! You are not alone
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

**hugs**

Thank you. I'm feeling better now. DD2 has been placid most the morning and I've been able to play non-stop with my 20 month old DD1. Things always feel worse at night.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Things definitely feel 1000 times worse when you are tired. Stick with it Mama! I felt the same way with DD and stopped nursing her full time after about a month... I regretted it horribly. This too shall pass!

Glad you've had a better morning and hope tonight is easier!!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I have so been there. Totally threw a tantrum one night when DS woke up for the millionth time, and to this day DH teases me by randomly yelling, "FRICKIN' BABY!!" like I did. LOL

For me, things really turned around the day DS turned 8 weeks old. Hang in there, you're almost there! One thing that also helped was co-sleeping. I know that it's not everyone's thing, but it will really cut down on the exhaustion.