Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pneumonia

My 17 month old was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia today. (Thoroughly tested so they were certain it was bacterial). My question is this...We vax our kids. The only vaxes he hasn't had are chicken pox and Hep A because we are waiting until school aged for those. He has had prevnar though! So why does my baby have pneumonia?

Its so scary b/c if I hadn't taken him to urgent care he wouldn't have been properly diagnosed. My pedi kept saying he just had a virus, but the urgent care place did several other tests to make sure of what it was. I'm thankful I went today.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pneumonia

I just looked this up- what i found is that there are more then 80 different types of bacteria that cause Pneumonia. The vaccine only covers 23 of them. Talk about a crap shoot. Good thing you followed your gut and went to urgent care. They treat that with antibiotic don't they? Hope your lo is feeling better soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

So sorry he's sick my now 13 month old had pneumonia at 5 months and spent 3 days in the hospital hope he feels better soon
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

because vaccines aren't perfect. and they don't mean your kid won't get sick.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post

Vaccines work most of the time for most people. There will always be someone who gets something they've been vaccinated for, there is no such thing in any part of life as 100% perfect.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's like the flu vaccine-it only works for some forms.
Vaccines aren't 100% and they are realizing some have much shorter life spans than previously thought (Like for Whooping cough and Rubella)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I just looked this up- what i found is that there are more then 80 different types of bacteria that cause Pneumonia. The vaccine only covers 23 of them. Talk about a crap shoot. Good thing you followed your gut and went to urgent care. They treat that with antibiotic don't they? Hope your lo is feeling better soon.
I guess that makes sense. I just want to cry right now. I'm so freaked. Pneumonia is dangerous for babies, and he already has breathing issues. He has been sick for 11 days. We took him to the pedi on the 2nd day b/c we thought it was an ear infection. Pedi said no infection it was viral and would go away in 7-10 days. Then he started spiking fevers yesterday again. He hasn't been been himself in so long. My pedi wanted me to wait an bring him in tomorrow, but I like the urgent care people better, so I wanted to go to them today. They are treating him with an antibiotic.

Its just been a week for my family...My DD had strep that she is just getting over and now this. GAH!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
I guess that makes sense. I just want to cry right now. I'm so freaked. Pneumonia is dangerous for babies, and he already has breathing issues. He has been sick for 11 days. We took him to the pedi on the 2nd day b/c we thought it was an ear infection. Pedi said no infection it was viral and would go away in 7-10 days. Then he started spiking fevers yesterday again. He hasn't been been himself in so long. My pedi wanted me to wait an bring him in tomorrow, but I like the urgent care people better, so I wanted to go to them today. They are treating him with an antibiotic.

Its just been a week for my family...My DD had strep that she is just getting over and now this. GAH!
Hopefully it will all be better soon. I'd probably be freaked out too, but at least he's medicated and should be getting better soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The same thing happened with DD when she was about 18 months. I new something was wrong and took her to the ER because it was Friday night and I didn't want to wait out the weekend. They told us it was a cold and to go home. Well, by Monday she had pneumonia. She started the antibiotics and was much better in a little over 24 hours. Just make sure you finish the antibiotics
Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post
Yup, Ducky got pneumonia from a fully vaxed child who had also received the prevnar vaccine. If you vaccinate with the premise that your child will never ever get any of the diseases they're being vaxed against then you're in for a reality check. the premise of vaccines is not that they guarantee your child won't get the illness, but that your child may have fewer symptoms/get over the disease quicker than if he didn't have the vaccine.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote