Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Anyone Always Hungry???

My DS is EBF and is almost 5 months old ( and my i just gloat for a minute to say that this is my FIRST EBF baby and despite criticism from some family members i have made it this far with no plans of stopping ) ok im back anyway i feel like i am always starving! Is that normal? I think i eat enough and i eat very healthy, ds is allergic to dairy so i have completely cut it out of my diet and it was a pretty large part before.....So just wanted to know if any other mama's who EBF seem hungry all the time or if there is something wrong with me

Married to my best friend & Love of my Life~Psalm 127:4-5~
SAHM to I(12/04) M(8/06) L(9/08) S(9/09) G(4/11) T (4/14)
Funnyfarmmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Always Hungry???

YES! Nursing a 13-month old & I am always hungry too! It takes lots of nourishment to feed another person! And good job on EBF your little one!
MyChubs0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Users

Yep, at 15 months old I am only producing about half of my babies' milk each day...but I am absolutely always starving. I'm thinking about having a bowl of pasta & cheese right now!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yeah! We're at 6 months today and this is my first totally ebf baby. I have gotten lots of "comments" from my mil and even DH. He supports me to an extent but I have had to tell him no over and over for bottles. I know he wants to help and he wants cuddle time too but bottles messed me up before.

But anyway yes I am always hungry! I don't have any special dietary needs for my LO but I have been following WW. I'm trying to eat lots of fruits and veggies since they are mostly 0 points but I feel like I am eating all day! I've fallen off the wagon the last month but plan on getting back at it tomorrow.
Caroline-happily married to Keith since 4/27/02; momma to D (5/10/05), M (2/10/07) and S (3/25/11)
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Users
Hungry, thirsty, and I also crave salty snacks when I used to be a sweet tooth person. Making milk is work, you're kinda still eating for 2
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Registered Users

I think it is one of the hormones that makes milk that makes you hungry...prolactin? I am always hungry, and I don't just want an apple or some pretzels, I want a MEAL with MEAT....NOW!!!! lol I have lost 47 pounds since being pregnant so it is controllable, but recently I have hit a plateau.
Accidentaly crunchy mom to William James Cutiepants. Love Baby Wearing, Breastfeeding, and Cloth Diapering, and my wonderful husband, Ken (Who doesn't like the cloth diapers...)
Willum'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
el's mama
Registered Users

Hi mama! Congrats on EBF'ing!!! What a huge accomplishment!! At 6 months babies reach a peak in the calories they take from you (up to 1,000 a day) and it's totally normal to feel famished! I usually don't feel very hungry when I'm pregnant but once the baby comes and is nursing all the time, I'm STARVING!! It's normal and healthy. I love avocados, apples with peanut butter or greek yogurt (I know some with dairy sensitivities can do greek and some can't). Things that are easy, nutritious and yummy!!
In with my DH, crunchy, attached Mama to 4. Homeschooling, long term breastfeeding, CD'ing, babywearing, homebirthing. Could I BE anymore addicted to cloth?!
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Users

Yep! I'm tandem nursing my 3 yr old and 11 month old and I am always starving!
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Registered Users

Yep, I'm always hungry, too. I gained weight while nursing my DD as an infant so I'm trying to keep the eating under control a bit better this time!
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users

Yup I always was (am) too. Being dairy free you need to make sure you're eating enough fats from other sources, avocado, nuts, etc. I added olive oil and coconut oil to everything to help fill me up. Try to go for nutrient dense foods, veggies, fruit, protein, first before filling up with carbs
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote