Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I feel like I'm the bane for starting solids at 5 1/2 months

I don't know why but it seems like most of the people around me really don't agree that I started solids at 5 1/2 mo. I usually wait till 6 mos, but my DD is already crawling (she's so active already and expelling a lot of energy) and she's fussing after nursing and I'm doing the best I can, but she's still hungry afterwards. I figured I would rather start solids than formula right now. Some people just make me sound like I've done something horrible to my child for not EBF till 6 mos and then starting food and part of me feels like a failure for giving in. I've been having such a hard time with BFing this time around and I'll continue working at it till at least 12 mos, if not longer. I gave my DD some avocado last night though. I guess all I'm looking for is, did I make a stupid decision?

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
loving my family
Registered Users

Re: I feel like I'm the bane for starting solids at 5 1/2 months

Don't feel bad 2 out of my 4 started at around 5 to 5 & a half mos. Everybody is different & my little 1's were bound & determined to eat they were hungry & despite me have tons of breast milk they wouldn't stay full for very long. 1 crawled the other my 3rd child rolled every where but both were ready. They loved Cheerios & it agreed with them they have no allergies or health issues they were both real big plumper's too my dd 85% my ds was & is still between 95% & above.
So it is what it is, if they are ready then they are ready
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
rachelss
Registered Users
seller

Our pediatrician told us that any time after 4 months is okay. That's when ebf benefits start to decline. Don't worry!
rachelss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There isn't a magic switch that turns on the day they turn 6 months and makes it okay for solids. Every baby is different. DS#1 started about the same age as your DD, he was sitting up, interested in food, able to hold a spoon, and didn't have a tongue thrust reflex. DS#2 wasn't ready or interested in solids until he was over 8 months old. Obviously there is evidence that starting too early isn't good for them, but I don't think 5 1/2 months is going to make or break her future health.

What would concern me more is how it might affect your supply if you are already having issues. You will probably want to really watch how much solids she is having and make sure that she is still nursing well and often. Contrary to what the PP said, the benefits of bm do not decrease at 4 months, and bm (or formula) should still be her primary source of nutrition until about a year.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Goodchild
Registered Users
seller

I waited until 6 months... mostly because I have a few food sensitivities. Most of my friends started at around the 4 month mark though! I would not worry about it, it sounds like your little one in more than ready. Congrats on keeping up with the breastfeeding! We also had a really hard time of it!
Goodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
SuperSox
Registered Users
seller

Don't get hung up on 6 months being the exact right time. Sounds like you knew your little one was ready, and mama knows best!
SuperSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

I started at 5.5 months as well, but I had let DS suck on watermelon in a mesh food holder/teether thing a little before we started purees. It was accidental at first, he just grabbed a big chunk of watermelon off my plate and it went strait to his mouth.
I got a couple of moms (on another site) saying that I was causing serious harm to my son and that his gut hadn't healed and he'd have lifelong medical issues because I was giving him food to early. My thought is that if the recommendation used to be 4 months and millions of babies were and still are started on solids at 4 months and are happy and healthy kids, that I have certainly not done anything that would harm my son.
There really are some idiots out there who are so high on their pedestal that they can't see straight.
You know best, and you have not done anything wrong!
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSox View Post
Don't get hung up on 6 months being the exact right time. Sounds like you knew your little one was ready, and mama knows best!
No kiddin'. I started my youngest DD at 5 1/2 months too. She wasn't crawling yet, but she was wanting to nurse 24/7. I started her on solids so I could get some stuff done. Do I think I'm a bad mom because of it? Absolutely not!! Every baby is different. DD's ped gave me the ok at 4 months and my mom was encouraging solids at 4 months...so I'm glad we lasted as long as we did. You're the mommy...go with your gut!!

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelss View Post
Our pediatrician told us that any time after 4 months is okay. That's when ebf benefits start to decline. Don't worry!
Actually, that's not true. EBF benefits do not start to decline at 4 months... Check out kellymom.com for more info on the benefits of EBF for 6 months. There are actually even some benefits to EBF beyond 6 months, such as family history of allergies to PREVENT (yes, you read that correctly) low iron and when babies won't take to solids (yes, some won't eat solids that early) so its not a magic age. Its about the specific baby.

I don't think you are ruining your baby by giving solids at 5.5 months. Not at all. However, those who think that giving foods other than breastmilk before the age of 6 months doesn't cause any long-term negative side effects, need only look at how many adults (from the era that got early solids) have long-term digestive issues... There are lots of factors, but I think it would be silly to dismiss this critical and sensitive immature stage in the development of long-term health risks for our children.

It doesn't need to be one extreme or the other. I think an open mind and a little caution is good. The fact that OP is concerned and thinking about it shows that she wants the best for her LO and that is a good mommy. That's what matters, IMO.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I admit DS was closer to 5.5 months then 6 months. But he showed all the signs, he could sit up unassisted, had a great pincher grasp and no tongue thrust. This was why we started to offer solids. He is a great eater and still BF's so it worked for us.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote